Jun 19, 2012, 08:07 AM
NorCal Prop Buster
I had the same exact thing happen to me. 2.5 minutes into the flight at fast speeds the motor quit. Landed no problem. My 40A ESC always comes down very warm so later went without the spinner which helps. No issues since but I've got a 60A ESC coming for that insurance. The last I checked I'm pulling 380w at 34a WOT.
Blu
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2012, 09:53 PM
NorCal Prop Buster
Got a wood prop today to try......11x6

Blu
Jun 21, 2012, 04:13 AM
carfule tho i tryed 1 and it was the same size as my apc and it maxed the amps out before i hit wot
Jun 21, 2012, 06:29 AM
Fly safe, fly often!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496
Just make sure you have plenty of power with your chosen setup. Preferrably 400w plus
Thanks

A little background and direction:

I have never grasped the bare bones basics of e-flight power nomenclature. Even though I have a good knowledge of battery maintenance, when it comes to selecting a power system, I'm not totally confident. This is due, in most part, because I have been using the suggested motors & ESC's that either come with the airplane (like my Parkzone T-28) or are recommended by the vendor selling the aircraft (like my Telink SU-29 sold by twistedhobbies).

So, I've never had to do the "brain work" and figure out watts, volts, prop size, ESC compatibility, and all the other factors which go into establishing a reliable and well balanced power combination. I'm just guessing that at least one of the three motors I have here in the shop could work great with this airplane. If not, I'll be happy to buy the right motor, ESC & prop.

I'll post photos & information with what I have and then ask y'alls opinions about the motor/ESC/prop combinations I have could be recommended choices.

The box arrived yesterday! This really is a great looking model and I'm very glad I purchased this compared to a foam warbird (which I will always like as well but I wanted something different).

I'll be assembling this in the next few days and will then post flight a flight report with photos & on-board flight videos soon.

Thanks very much,

Brad
Jun 21, 2012, 08:40 AM
NorCal Prop Buster
A very general rule of thumb is a 100 watts per pound of plane. I think it's a little conservative.

Blu
Jun 21, 2012, 09:46 AM
Fly safe, fly often!
Watts . . . I better go find out what this means using the information on the motors, ESC's, and props I have in the garage.
Jun 21, 2012, 03:48 PM
Fly safe, fly often!
I was talking to a friend today at the flying field and he highly recommended the E-flite Power 10 motor.

Here are the specs for the E-flite Power 10 motor:
-----------------
RPM/Volt (Kv): 1100
Weight: 122 g (4.3 oz)
Props: 10x5 to 12x6

Here are the specs for "Motor #1" I have and was considering:
-----------------
RPM/Volt (Kv): 1250
Weight: 70 g (~2.5 oz)
Props: 10 x 3.8 or 10x4.7

Have I given enough information to answer the question "Could 'Motor #1' work well with the Leader 480?"

AND --> what about this one: LINK
Thanks,

Brad
Last edited by Buzz_Man; Jun 21, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
Jun 21, 2012, 06:13 PM
Brad
your motor #1 what kind of wattage dose it put out. i have not used any props with less then 6 degrees of thrust angle so iam not sure how the props would work out. your link to the Hobby Lobby looks like it may be nice but there is no specs as to any wattage it puts out.
E-flite Power 10 motor a very popular motor to use with the leader.
I myself used this motor with a 10x6 prop and is very close to the same size as the e flight 480. https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00kv_560w.html
here is another motor from Hobby King that would work well to if you wanted to order.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00Kv_550W.html
i like these motors for the lower cost and they will mount up direct so there is no redoing the mounting base.
Jun 21, 2012, 06:15 PM
Brad i just looked at the hobby link and found the specs for the watts and it states 420 watts witch would move the leader around rather well.
Jun 21, 2012, 07:00 PM
Fighting Gravity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Man
I was talking to a friend today at the flying field and he highly recommended the E-flite Power 10 motor.

Here are the specs for the E-flite Power 10 motor:
-----------------
RPM/Volt (Kv): 1100
Weight: 122 g (4.3 oz)
Props: 10x5 to 12x6

Here are the specs for "Motor #1" I have and was considering:
-----------------
RPM/Volt (Kv): 1250
Weight: 70 g (~2.5 oz)
Props: 10 x 3.8 or 10x4.7

Have I given enough information to answer the question "Could 'Motor #1' work well with the Leader 480?"

AND --> what about this one: LINK
Thanks,

Brad
Brad. Motors/props/esc are all trial and error for a new model Look at us on the thread here. Always testing something and then sharing the result.

If you have the #1 motor already and it is quoted to 420w use that. I would suggest a higher pitch prop or things will be pretty slow. Try a 10x7 and test it on a watt meter. Otherwise a quick 3 minute flight then feel if electrics are warm or not.
Jun 21, 2012, 08:33 PM
Fly safe, fly often!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496
Brad. Motors/props/esc are all trial and error for a new model Look at us on the thread here. Always testing something and then sharing the result.
Thanks

What about the O.S. .10 motor? It's less than the E-flite and seems like it's similar in performance --> LINK
Jun 21, 2012, 09:35 PM
NorCal Prop Buster
Myself, Bonnie, and a few others fly with the power 10 and props like the 11x7 or 11x5.5 and the plane flies fantastically with this setup. You might consider this as your standard or reference point for your plane. Compare your hardware specs to this and it should get you to the promised land

Blu, lover of the Leader.
Jun 22, 2012, 05:29 AM
Fly safe, fly often!
Took out all the parts - very well packaged. My overall first impression: excellent quality - everything looks really great, I'm very impressed.

I am a bit curious about the removable top piece (with canopy) and the fiberglass cowl. These are both made very well - no problem with the quality of fit, assembly, and covering/paint, but they both do seem a bit on the heavy side:

Top piece = 75g
Cowl = 20g
---------------------
Total = 95g, 3.35 oz.

I am fairly certain I'll eventually create a custom top piece constructed from foam, then using covering I have on hand. The top piece doesn't seem to be necessary for structural integrity, and it looks like a very easy part to duplicate and this modification should save at least an ounce (~28.35g).

I'm still looking at motor options - I have "mental roadblock" when it comes down to purchasing a $60 motor from Horizon Hobby when I can get something that appears to be of equal quality and performance for less than half that price - same with the ESC. The motor/ESC option I'm considering:

ESC --> LINK
Motor --> LINK

I'm also thinking about using 2 1/4" diameter wheels - no, they won't look as good as the smaller ones but they won't add any weight while possibly providing better ground handling characteristics and slightly better prop clearance.

It would also seem wise, given my lousy piloting skills, to add some plastic skids to the bottom of the wingtips. Small enough to protect the wingtips without adding significant weight or compromising aerodynamics.

The color scheme of this airplane is great for 4th of July celebration flights!

Unfortunately, I'm swamped with other "must do" projects so this will most likely be a slow build for me, but I'm looking forward to it. The plane looks much better in real life - I'm glad I at least took it out of the box.
Jun 22, 2012, 05:56 AM
your dynam esc is a great choice, i use a lot of these and they are the same as hobby kings escs and can be programed with the same program card and they are also cheaper.
the tacon big foot 10 is a great motor to.
Jun 22, 2012, 09:15 AM
Fly safe, fly often!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc39
your dynam esc is a great choice, i use a lot of these and they are the same as hobby kings escs and can be programed with the same program card and they are also cheaper.
the tacon big foot 10 is a great motor to.
Thanks!

Free shipping was offered with a $50 order so, with the addition of a few pieces of shrink wrap, I got the motor & ESC combo delivered for ~$50.

I'll progress as much as I can with this airplane but all the other items in my life remain spinning, demanding my attention as well. Could be worse, eh?

Happy flyin',

Brad

Quick Reply