Aug 12, 2011, 04:56 PM

Canopy screw

Check post #73 on page five. This is how did my modification. It was pretty easy to do and works great.
Joefly
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2011, 07:18 PM
Thanks I have seen those nuts before never knew what they where called.
Aug 16, 2011, 06:52 PM
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
My canopy seems to be nice and tight. I'm flying the stock motor and am not a WOT type flyer so it should be fine. I maidened the other day and it was a bit windy but handled it with no problem.

I did notice when it sits on the wheels, it's nose high a bit. I have th nosegear as high as it can go in the mount and still have clearance of the fuse for turning. I normally like a level setup but it didnt seem to bother it. I ran a couple tests and it just lifted off nice and smooth when it was ready to fly. I may see about reversing the prongs and magnets if I have a canopy issue going forward with tabas in front and mags in back.
Aug 17, 2011, 06:16 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Replace the main gear wheels with 2.75 wheels and use 2.25 on the nose, light weight wheels all round. This will level out the plane and actually drop the nose a degree or two. The real benefit is that on landing the plane stays stuck to the pavement as the negative AoA kill any hop up tendancies.

(see picture in post #71)

KKKKFL
Aug 20, 2011, 10:10 PM
--How are the .10 size motor setups holding up? I was thinking of going with a Monster .10 and 2650 4s.
Aug 22, 2011, 06:11 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
You could easily go the next monster size up... the Power 10 is a nice match however. I run an 11x6 prop and it grooves through loops. Its the plane I fly to calm my nerves, just a solid performer.

KKKKFL
Aug 23, 2011, 04:01 PM
Lipoly Killer

Sad

I fly mine today and crashed it. Pilot error, pure and simple. I had too much aileron throw and it hit some trees. Three of my club members dug it out for me. One wing is shot and the fuse is reparable but Eflite wants $50 for a wing set soooooo....I ordered a new one!
The Scorpion had plenty of power so it goes back in. The 12/6 works good. I will make sure of the throw on the new one for sure. The radio is ok and it goes back in.
I will fly it stock, however, I'll check to make sure the rudder is big enough. Anybody increase the size of their rudder?
Frank
Aug 24, 2011, 06:29 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Rudder authority is lacking. The design of pattern planes from the late 60's did not put much emphasis on rudder. We barely had roll control! If you look closely you will see that the rudder is set at an angle back. This was done to give a slight pitch up when rudder was applied.

To enhance rudder on a 480 there are only two options that I would attempt.
First and easiest is to air balance the top 1 inch. That is replace the current rudder with one that has about a square inch of movement at the top but in front of the hinge line. Look at a ME-109 to get the basic idea.

The other alternative is far more work. This would be to slice the fuselage and make the rudder extend down to the top of the stabilizer. You would need to re-route the push rod for the elevator to the bottom... This would actually provide the best performace, but it would involve tons of work, and I'm not sure the pain is worth the gain.

Where you really see the lack of rudder authority is when you pull straight up, drop throttle back and as it slows, go full left rudder and a blast from the throttle. When done correctly (timing) the plane should rotate about the center of gravity dropping the nose towards the ground. I have been trying for 3 weeks to do this maneover with no luck... Time to build a new plane.

KKKKFL
Aug 24, 2011, 06:50 AM
Lipoly Killer

Rudder

Thanks, Franco! My new 480 will be here Thursday night. I have to put my car in the shop Friday so I'll use the down time to build. Jim Kirkland once said that if you need more than 35 degrees of rudder, you need a bigger rudder. If you are having a difficult time doing stall turns, then it sure sounds like you need more rudder.
I'll post test flights this weeked.
Frank
Aug 25, 2011, 05:50 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964

Just don't skimp on the power... I think the Power 10 is a perfect match. I flew mine on a PZ480 1048kv motor, and while it took off and flew smoothly, the take off was mushy. Now with the power 10, it accelerates quickly and maintains a 45 to 55 degree steep climb easily. Just the entire flight regime was so much nicer with the power upgrade. I am guessing that one could probably go up another notch, and enter the full 3d capability.

I do not use flaps on take off, but they sure are nice to grease landings
You can see a couple other modifications in this shot.

If you look closely, you can also see that my wings are NOT flat, I bent the aluminum center rod, just slightly and you can see the dihedral. Tip plates added also make it groove through turns..

KKKKFL
Last edited by Franco2fly; Aug 25, 2011 at 06:30 AM. Reason: add image
Aug 25, 2011, 06:56 AM
Lipoly Killer

Rudder

I thought about the rudder yesterday and came up with a plan. Move fin back to the end of the fuse. Make a new rudder with a slot for the elevator and then make a new elevator with a cut out to allow rudder movement. Then mount the rudder and elevator servos to the tail. Use an extra rudder servo for the nosegear and use a "Y" connector to the receiver. It sounds more complicated than it is. I'll post pictures when I start building.
Frank
Aug 25, 2011, 07:51 PM
DWS
DWS
D.W. Schmidt

3s 5000?

Gents,

For those who are flying this plane, do you think a Power 10 and a 3s 5000 pack would make this one perform too badly? I have several of these packs and pretty much everything else I would need except the plane. The packs weigh around 13-14 oz each, which is about 8-9 oz more than the 2200 packs called for.

I realize it will raise the wing loading a bit, but since the winds here are almost always 10-15 knots, plus gusts...I'm thinking this would be a good compimise and I REALLY like the looks of this one. I may add flaps to it as well,
The other option is the Parkzone P-47 as they are practically the same size and it's already set up for flaps and retracts.

Thanks!

D.W.
Aug 26, 2011, 06:15 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
8 or 9 ounces are not going to impact this plane.. It does not compare to the P-47... The leader is much more nimble and a delight to fly. From what I have seen of the P-47, (I wasn't on the sticks) its just a zoom-zoom airplane. Up and down the runway more of a flying brick... Leader is more of a smooth flyer. I have set up crabbing approaches where you cross control rudder/elevator, outside loops. Just a different flight regime.

KKKKFL
Aug 26, 2011, 03:57 PM
DWS
DWS
D.W. Schmidt
Franco,

Very interesting. I've tried to watch as much video as I can of the two to try and determine this very point. Obviously a difficult task. Do you think that the rudder mods listed above would make this a respectable sportsman pattern plane? I do not compete but like to challenge myself to be prices and the comments above make it would like the plane is not all that precise. Is it a good touch and go flyer? I would be flying off a brand new paved street.

Thanks!

DW
Aug 26, 2011, 08:24 PM
RCin' is "Jus Plane Fun"

Thoughts on eflite leader 480

I want one

Quick Reply