Dec 12, 2012, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio
4S would be the way to go. Better power to weight ratio.
Longer run times and a much more aggessive multi-rotor!

So, true!
OK but if your looking at the weight and the power , the capacity the weight and the voltage are all related and if you change one the other parameters are affected. A 3S 2200mAh pack weight the same as a 4S 1800mAh battery and both batteries will give you the same flight time. So whereas you may see more flight time if you went with a 4S 2200mAh battery but that only because youve actually added more capacity which has diminishing returns as the weight is increased . So you can increase voltage but what for , the only good reason I can see is to reduce operating temperatures and or to reduce the amps your speed controllers are having to handle but if they're designed to handle the amps again I can't see the advantage of going to 4 S, I think what I'm trying to say is that the power to weight ratio is the same not better
Last edited by Steve34; Dec 12, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2012, 01:53 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Well, your right mostly.
But the power to weight ratio, is more than what you loose.
Let's just say DJI 920 motors put out 132 watts max on 3S 3000. 7 - 8 mins.
Now those same motors on 4S put out 200 watts on a 4S 3000. 10 - 12 mins.
That is 68 more watts per motor, while they are all running on the same battey as before.
Now I am talking about this in DJI F330.
Sure,You don't need the extra power on it but I do.
It helps me get that punch I want to do ftight flips and rolls.
Also have enpough power to pull out of a drop when i tell it too!
There is a guy near me claming 20mins of flight time on that same setup. But he is just cruzing around.
I did say clam becuase I haven't seen it!

But with getting 68 more watts per motor adds up to 272 extra watts.
compare to the extra 2 - 4oz of weight.
Also if you haven't heard me say this before your quad will runn smoother and respond faster.
On 3S you motors are working hard to spin faster.
With the extra 68 watts the motor are not struggling much!
My bigger planes fly way longer than my smaller ones. Except the ultra lite one!

So weight does have an effect on your performance.
but 272 watts up against maybe 6 extra oz is nothing!
Now all of this does depend on how you fly.
This is the biggest factor. Some fly like a little old lady and other like Bob Huricane Hannah!
WOT!
I fly a little of both!
But Most of my multi-rotors run on 4S for the power and the fact. I keep buying the same batts all the time.
Have you every been to the field and take 40 of the same batts with you?
Been there done that.
I call that leave the chargers at home and just fly!
Your right, I am right.
I do understand your point.
Do you understand mine?
Last edited by DoctorAudio; Dec 12, 2012 at 02:02 PM.
Dec 12, 2012, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio
Well, your right mostly.
But the power to weight ratio, is more than what you loose.
Let's just say DJI 920 motors put out 132 watts max on 3S 3000. 7 - 8 mins.
Now those same motors on 4S put out 200 watts on a 4S 3000. 10 - 12 mins.
That is 68 more watts per motor, while they are all running on the same battey as before.
Now I am talking about this in DJI F330.
Sure,You don't need the extra power on it but I do.
It helps me get that punch I want to do ftight flips and rolls.
Also have enpough power to pull out of a drop when i tell it too!
There is a guy near me claming 20mins of flight time on that same setup. But he is just cruzing around.
I did say clam becuase I haven't seen it!

But with getting 68 more watts per motor adds up to 272 extra watts.
compare to the extra 2 - 4oz of weight.
Also if you haven't heard me say this before your quad will runn smoother and respond faster.
On 3S you motors are working hard to spin faster.
With the extra 68 watts the motor are not struggling much!
My bigger planes fly way longer than my smaller ones. Except the ultra lite one!

So weight does have an effect on your performance.
but 272 watts up against maybe 6 extra oz is nothing!
Now all of this does depend on how you fly.
This is the biggest factor. Some fly like a little old lady and other like Bob Huricane Hannah!
WOT!
I fly a little of both!
But Most of my multi-rotors run on 4S for the power and the fact. I keep buying the same batts all the time.
Have you every been to the field and take 40 of the same batts with you?
Been there done that.
I call that leave the chargers at home and just fly!
Your right, I am right.
I do understand your point.
Do you understand mine?
I hear you but I think your missing something . When you put higher voltage go your motors they will spin faster so at that point unless your go with a smaller prop your going to be hovering at lower stick position which can lead to losing control authority when trying to descend or land . I'll also challenge your other point that you could increase flight time by the same amount just by increasing capacity and not voltage .
Dec 12, 2012, 02:41 PM
I wish I could hand deliver the WiteSpy Quad to J- the geek
Dec 12, 2012, 05:08 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Okay, okay.
I will leave it alone!
Two hard headed people can disagree.

WE ARE BOTH RIGHT TO A POINT!

Not yelling just want to make sure you see it!
I can open up Webex and we can discuss it more.
If you want to?
Dec 12, 2012, 09:43 PM
Jon

All, I've been following you guys on this thread for a while and I'm way happy to report that I ordered my quad today from Paul. I can't wait for it to arrive. Part of it is my Christmas present, so I won't get to mess with it until after Christmas Day, but it'll be tons of fun. I'll keep you guys posted on my adventures.

Also I can't wait to attend of the video conferences in the near future.
Dec 12, 2012, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspieker
All, I've been following you guys on this thread for a while and I'm way happy to report that I ordered my quad today from Paul. I can't wait for it to arrive. Part of it is my Christmas present, so I won't get to mess with it until after Christmas Day, but it'll be tons of fun. I'll keep you guys posted on my adventures.

Also I can't wait to attend of the video conferences in the near future.
Welcome to the WiteSpy family!! Where do you call home? City, state, country, etc.?

You are going to have a blast!!
Dec 12, 2012, 11:34 PM
Quadrophenia
I was happily surprised by video from my Hero2 banded to my WS quad w/ a 4-tab bottom plate via zip ties, photo at end. This video is not as nice as I would like though, perhaps I rendered it incorrectly? It was cold. My goggles were fogging up.

FPV Magnuson 3 (2 min 46 sec)

e
Dec 13, 2012, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy
J.

your Dx8 mode one is on the way.

The system will be ready to go out of the box. I guess the only thing that you really need to know is how to work those 4 button chargers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvr-25yGeVk

and the naza wiki.

http://wiki.dji-innovations.com/en/index.php/Naza-M
Paul, you champion! I'm reading every thing I can find already...gotta pass the time...I'm peaking

Cheers

J
Dec 13, 2012, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanFlorida
I wish I could hand deliver the WiteSpy Quad to J- the geek
ROLF! Thanks Alan, you know how I'm feeling (like a kid and I'm 52!)
Dec 13, 2012, 01:49 AM

On the subject of batts...

I didn't really check into the battery specs on the HT, but I've ordered some Turnigy nano-tech 2250mah 3S 65~130C Lipo Packs in the hope that they will do the trick being a little unsure about quad drain?? You'd reckon they'd punch unloaded.

I've been using some 3S 2200/50c's in my 450X with Scorpion motor and the increase in c rate (from 25) really made a surprising difference at the same capacity and that was just hard sport flying over about 4:30 mins. I could go longer too. I'd be hoping for somewhat more out of the nanos on the quad.

Cheers
Dec 13, 2012, 03:00 PM
Jon

Where do I hail From you say?

Hi again. I'm going to be flying my fancy new Quad in Colorado Springs. I'm pretty new to this, but I do have a number of flights under my belt with my Blade MQX. It's a ton of fun, just looking for something a little bit bigger.
Dec 13, 2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Hi again. I'm going to be flying my fancy new Quad in Colorado Springs. I'm pretty new to this, but I do have a number of flights under my belt with my Blade MQX. It's a ton of fun, just looking for something a little bit bigger.
Your are going to love it!!
Dec 14, 2012, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Hi jspieker, I'll confess to some seriously excessive mQX flying over the last few weeks, I love it. It's interesting learning the quirks of a quad (in a general sense) compared to those of a single rotor. I find 0 wind is best for the little thing, but it's hard to find over here during spring. I even bought a different canopy for it, a pic of which is hopefully attached to this post
Dec 14, 2012, 06:37 PM
It is going to be a WiteSpy weekend for me and boy do I need it….crazy week and I am ready to relax!! Going to fly my WiteSpy 450 and FLIP Yes!!

Quick Reply