Jul 02, 2011, 12:09 PM
So... Today was a great day for flying, Got about 5 flights in and then... The worst happend.. Turns out that the dang control horn is glued to paint, who would of known! It came off the surface at about 8 feet off the ground doing about 73mph. I went to pull up but all it did was roll over and dirt dart. Foam went EVERYWHERE and it launched my battery a good 30 feet. Speed Controller is completely destroyed, the heat sink came off and the wires got severed. the only good thing is my Rx and Motor, as well as all 4 servos. I would recommended drilling 2 holes in the control horn and running some screws into a back plate. Crashing over something as stupid as that. Way to Fk up Parkzone, why would you put good horns on the rudders but not the elevons?

to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2011, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam
The 2200 25C 3S Sky Lipo is listed under "Hot Deals"

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77-2200mah-111-25c.html

Thanks Dave. First time I've been to the "Hot Deals" section.

Bob
Jul 02, 2011, 12:14 PM
COUNTY HELICOPTER LIVE ANOTHER
[QUOTE=Unrealpie;18655789]So... Today was a great day for flying, Got about 5 flights in and then... The worst happend.. Turns out that the dang control horn is glued to paint, who would of known! It came off the surface at about 8 feet off the ground doing about 73mph. I went to pull up but all it did was roll over and dirt dart. Foam went EVERYWHERE and it launched my battery a good 30 feet. Speed Controller is completely destroyed, the heat sink came off and the wires got severed. the only good thing is my Rx and Motor, as well as all 4 servos. I would recommended drilling 2 holes in the control horn and running some screws into a back plate. Crashing over something as stupid as that. Way to Fk up Parkzone, why would you put good horns on the rudders but not the elevons?

Oh man sorry for the disaster. I agree that PZ totally dropped the ball on the control horns on the elevons. I would be totally p@@sed off of I were you.
Jul 02, 2011, 12:16 PM
Outlaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrealpie
So... Today was a great day for flying, Got about 5 flights in and then... The worst happend.. Turns out that the dang control horn is glued to paint, who would of known! It came off the surface at about 8 feet off the ground doing about 73mph. I went to pull up but all it did was roll over and dirt dart. Foam went EVERYWHERE and it launched my battery a good 30 feet. Speed Controller is completely destroyed, the heat sink came off and the wires got severed. the only good thing is my Rx and Motor, as well as all 4 servos. I would recommended drilling 2 holes in the control horn and running some screws into a back plate. Crashing over something as stupid as that. Way to Fk up Parkzone, why would you put good horns on the rudders but not the elevons?

sorry for your loss
that has been a reported weakness
everyone should reinforce the elevon control horn attachment
also the pushrods are pulling out for some
the elevon hinge pulld out for some
maybe it's quality control, some work fine, some fail....dunno...
Jul 02, 2011, 12:16 PM
Holy Ok, that's enough for me. It's time for me to stop being lazy and just add the damn backplates to my elevons. Does anyone have the part numbers for this mod? Can we drill holes in the stock arms and just add the backplates?

Also, has anyone called Horizon about this? They need to do the right thing and ship us the appropriate control arms for free.
Jul 02, 2011, 12:24 PM
Yen
Yen

Maiden and impressions

Got it all together. Maidened her and got 6 flights in. Crashed hard on the last flight but will post about it later.

cliff notes: tape and CA rudders. underhand launch hard and be quick on throttle. flies very stable, quick, but could be quicker. Rolls are sick

Prelaunch: Double sided tape alone is not enough on the rudders. You'll need CA on the seams if you push her like I do. I CA'd around the elevon horns and they're holding fine. Added CF rods for reinforcement on the edges of rudder and elevon (thanks Alucard)

Launch: It's hard, but it's also my first real plane that has to be HL. I do zero throttle until it's thrown. Tried the baseball grip w/ index and middle finger behind firewall, but this throws of CG and it goes 90deg up for me. Tried with power holding by the wing, worked 1 out of 2 times, didn't like too much. Did nose in a couple times and donk it up a bit Ended up underhand with thumb and fingers in grip and index finger passive on the plastic rest. Throw hard with 30deg and hit throttle quick (I use neckstrap) with low rates - worked for me

Flight: Stock setup with voltz 2200 35C pack. Unlimited vertical, super super fast rolls with hi rates and 40mm throws. KE needs some mixing. I set mine up with airbrakes going inward with elevator compensation, to me it's not needed; u can slow down better with hard elevator, but the air brakes are cool if you like to tinker. Landing is super easy since it'll fly slow, or can parachute/elevator land. Pretty fast. I'd say 80-90. Could be faster, but not bad for the whole package. great sound. mine flew nose heavy so slight ele input needed for inverted flight.

Yes, I crashed: Going full speed little too low and rolling full speed. Was losing altitude (due to nose heavy, so sinks some when inverted) and rolls were too quick to tell which orientation, so stopped the roll and pulled up, except she was inverted. 100% WOT into the ground Ouch, Lesson learned. I know I said it could be faster, and it's true for straight leveled speed passes, it could be. But still an awesome plane.

Pics and aftermath of crash later if I have a chance.

edit: wow just saw unrealpie crash. Mine crashed hard at WOT straight onto the nose, but the damage wasn't as bad as yours. sorry about the loss. Maybe an $85 body replacement and transfer the rest over if possible. And I will go back and add backplates now, instead of just CA around the seams. scary stuff
Last edited by Yen; Jul 02, 2011 at 12:47 PM.
Jul 02, 2011, 12:28 PM
Well I just got my F27Q PNP and after hooking it up to my AR600 one of the elevons doesn't move! Swapped connections w/ the one that works to make sure it wasn't a connection issue and still no movement so looks like I have a dead servo. That SUCKS! Was planning on flying this this weekend due to higher winds that my other planes can handle but GROUNDED!

So wondering if perhaps there's a servo extension that's loose but before I pull the nice blue tape off the bottom of the wing to explore I thought I'd ask cause if there's no extension then it's definately a bad servo & I'll have to call HH for a replacement.
Jul 02, 2011, 12:42 PM
J. Titors gr8 grandson...
On dx6 move stick to adj other side?? That wasn't gators...yet!
Jul 02, 2011, 12:45 PM
Yen
Yen

My DX7 settings and receiver wire up. YMMV

I'm using airbrakes (thanks alucard&ping) with a mix to prevent from pitching up. And a mix to help my KE's

RECEIVER WIRING
Short leads= rudder
Long leads = elevon
right leads control right rud/ele and vice versa

Left elevon goes to AIL, right elevon goes to ELE, right rud goes to RUD using 3" ext, left rud goes to AUX1 using 3" ext
ESC goes to THR, bind plug goes to BAT

MY DX7 SETTINGS

model menu
input select: Aux2: INH , FLAP:System Trim:INH
wing type: Delta on
D/R switch sel: com elev (I like on/off switch for hi rates)

function list
D/R exp: setup per manual
Reverse: ail, ele
Flap sys: norm 0 0; mid DN65%/DN14 ; land DN100%/DN30 (Mine's setup with airbrakes, these settings compensate for it wanting to pitch up). Auto INH

differential: delta norm 0%
two program mixes used to control rudder if using airbrakes
Prog Mix1 Rud->Flap; rate +100/+100; sw:ON offset:0
Prog Mix2 Flap->Rud: rate -100/-100; sw: on offset:0

prog mix 3 (to help my Knife edges) rud->elev; +17/-15 sw: on offset:0

YMMV, adjust as needed
Jul 02, 2011, 12:47 PM
Yen
Yen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofagun
On dx6 move stick to adj other side?? That wasn't gators...yet!
edited post to unrealpie
Jul 02, 2011, 01:55 PM
The Earth got in the way!
Okay...I used the RCSpeedo App today. I hope it is accurate. For my level passes I tried to not go vertical and just turn on the upward and downward legs.

So I took my Parkzone P-47 and the Q out.

My P-47 has the E-flite Power25 1250Kv motor swinging a 10x7 APC using a Turnigy 4s 3000 40c.

Results of the straight and level (as possible) passes:
Average speeds were 107mph rounded to the nearest MPH. The Fastest level pass was 114 and the slowest was 93. Out of a dive I got 121. NICE!!!

The Stryker Q Stock motor/prop, 60 E-flite ESC
3s 2200 40c Turnigy
Straight and level(as possible):

Average speeds rounded to the nearest MPH were 96mph
Fastest pass was 106mph and the slowest was 90mph
Out of a dive I got 115Mph

Same setup on Turnigy Nano-Tech 4s 35c 1800
Average Speeds straight and level (again as level as possible)were 107mph
Fastest pass was 116mph and the slowest was 96mph.

Now for the great part. Out of a dive I recorded 133.91mph.

My "out of a dive" speeds were done by flying straight and level across the field. Then pulled vertical into a Split-S from (about twice the treetop height) roughly 100'-125' and screaming back across the field. I really could have taken it up to 200'+ and really put it into a steep dive to see what it recorded, but I wanted it to be somewhat realistic.
Jul 02, 2011, 02:22 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman
I am down at the beach this week and had an issue that was resolved with a little compressed air, sand slipped into the motor on landing...

I was curious if you all think if enabling the brake on the esc would help future landings? How should I expect this to affect it's power off glide abilities? I appreciate any input anyone has here, eventually I will mod the underside to better enclose the motor (like on the top half).

I am concerned sand will eventually slip into the bearings in the motor and burn it/lock it up... Any advice from beach flyers is especially appreciated, I am in destin Florida and the sand is as fine as table salt
Could someone comment on this esc brake setting?

...sorry to see/hear of these wrecks, looks like a bottle of foam safe CA will have yall back in the air in no time!
Jul 02, 2011, 02:34 PM
Yen
Yen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy
Okay...I used the RCSpeedo App today. I hope it is accurate. For my level passes I tried to not go vertical and just turn on the upward and downward legs.

So I took my Parkzone P-47 and the Q out.

My P-47 has the E-flite Power25 1250Kv motor swinging a 10x7 APC using a Turnigy 4s 3000 40c.

Results of the straight and level (as possible) passes:
Average speeds were 107mph rounded to the nearest MPH. The Fastest level pass was 114 and the slowest was 93. Out of a dive I got 121. NICE!!!

The Stryker Q Stock motor/prop, 60 E-flite ESC
3s 2200 40c Turnigy
Straight and level(as possible):

Average speeds rounded to the nearest MPH were 96mph
Fastest pass was 106mph and the slowest was 90mph
Out of a dive I got 115Mph

Same setup on Turnigy Nano-Tech 4s 35c 1800
Average Speeds straight and level (again as level as possible)were 107mph
Fastest pass was 116mph and the slowest was 96mph.

Now for the great part. Out of a dive I recorded 133.91mph.

My "out of a dive" speeds were done by flying straight and level across the field. Then pulled vertical into a Split-S from (about twice the treetop height) roughly 100'-125' and screaming back across the field. I really could have taken it up to 200'+ and really put it into a steep dive to see what it recorded, but I wanted it to be somewhat realistic.
cool, nice speeds recorded there
Jul 02, 2011, 02:53 PM

New Q owner

Had the Q about a week, having lots of fun vs. My other PZ trainers & stuff. It does take high speed aeros to a new level for me & the speed is an adjustment but exhilarating.

Sorry to hear about the recent failures for some & the heads up to do some checks & reenforcing.
KF
Jul 02, 2011, 04:32 PM
But often down to earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1
ok, here is my one problem, I know some of you are using Dx6i's.....my rudders are moving so far that they bend the vertical fins, so I went into my travel adjustment and went to rudder, and when I dialed it down to about 40%, it only effects my rudders going one direction. like if i pushed the stick right, it was now less travel, but if I push the stick left, its still going crazy far. ??? weird. any ideas as to why?
The travel adjustment has two sides. While in the edit mode for the rudder travel move the rudder stick to each side and each side has a separate adjustment.

Quick Reply