Sep 10, 2012, 04:32 PM
fly and then fly some more!
So what is the overall consensus on this bird? I was looking at getting one.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2012, 04:49 PM
I'm torquing to you!
In the 48-50 inch class this plane is simply excellent. And it will stand out from all of the other Extras and Edges out there.
Sep 10, 2012, 07:11 PM
StratoJoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze View Post
In the 48-50 inch class this plane is simply excellent. And it will stand out from all of the other Extras and Edges out there.
I would say it even gives the aj slick a run for its money.
Sep 10, 2012, 07:37 PM
Someone asked me this question on the weekend whilst out flying as to whether they should get one. TBH I really couldn't say if given the choice again knowing what I now know would I choose the Bandit or a PA product again, all I could come up with was, maybe.

The construction really isn't that good, the covering is terrible, the black highlights look like they were cut out with blunt rusty blade the edges look like when you see bad paint bleed through which the cowl actually has, there are bits of CF in there that add absolutely no strength in the direction required, and some of the accessories are worthless.

But in saying that it does fly very nicely! Even if it does drop the right wing everytime I do a hard elevator pull.

But I also haven't owned any of the competition, so maybe my standards are too high. Although the last time I bought ARF's 10+ years ago I don't remember being so dissapointed in the construction and accessories.
Sep 10, 2012, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DeltaFly View Post

I'm running the HS-65MG in my Bandit but it only has a few hundred flights logged on it. On the other hand my PA Extra 260 has over 750 flights logged on it and the HS-65MG servos are still going strong.
Hey DeltaFly. Do the HS-65MG fit straight into the Bandit or is there a bit of modification to perform? Also did you purchase the PA CF Servo extention arms.

Thank you
Sep 11, 2012, 04:09 AM
Byron C
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga2000 View Post
Hey DeltaFly. Do the HS-65MG fit straight into the Bandit or is there a bit of modification to perform? Also did you purchase the PA CF Servo extention arms.

Thank you
The HS-65MG are a snug fit in the Bandit. I did have to trim the bay openings a wee bit to slightly increase their length, mostly for the aileron servos. Bay opening width required no adjustment and fit the HS-65MG servos just fine.

About the CF servo arm extensions, I do have them on my Bandit. The CF extensions, among other things, make standard plastic servo arms much stronger and more reliable. Used by themselves plastic servo arms tend to flex under load, especially on large 40 size models like the Bandit.
Sep 11, 2012, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
So what is the overall consensus on this bird? I was looking at getting one.
I own a Bandit, a 3DHS 48" Edge 540 and a couple other brands. In my opinion the Bandit is the better flying plane and looks the absolute best in the air.

My complaint is in how light they are made. Mine came down a little hard in the dirt next to my field and the fuselage is destroyed (one side and the motor mount let go and would be very hard to fix). I have been debating whether to order a new plane or try to repair it, but I have other projects that are a lot more fun right now. I crashed my E-Flite Mini Funtana X in a similar fashion, except under power and with a lot more force and it broke the landing gear mount and busted the cowl along with some cosmetic damage.

My 3DHS Edge has held up much better as well, it just doesn't fly as well as the Bandit.
Sep 11, 2012, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by javabeans View Post
I own a Bandit, a 3DHS 48" Edge 540 and a couple other brands. In my opinion the Bandit is the better flying plane and looks the absolute best in the air.

My complaint is in how light they are made. Mine came down a little hard in the dirt next to my field and the fuselage is destroyed (one side and the motor mount let go and would be very hard to fix). I have been debating whether to order a new plane or try to repair it, but I have other projects that are a lot more fun right now. I crashed my E-Flite Mini Funtana X in a similar fashion, except under power and with a lot more force and it broke the landing gear mount and busted the cowl along with some cosmetic damage.

My 3DHS Edge has held up much better as well, it just doesn't fly as well as the Bandit.
Hmmm. Doesn't sound very durable. I cant spend that much just to have it break easily.
Sep 11, 2012, 09:04 AM
If you are an excellent pilot you won't have a problem...
Sep 11, 2012, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by javabeans View Post
If you are an excellent pilot you won't have a problem...
Well i am not an excellent pilot. I would be considered intermediate.
Sep 11, 2012, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Well i am not an excellent pilot. I would be considered intermediate.
That's my problem.

A guy at my field has a PA Extra MX and flies it so well that it is an incredible machine while connected to his transmitter, but I know that if I got one it would end up next to my Bandit awaiting repair.
Sep 11, 2012, 10:09 AM
Thread OP
My PA planes have always been super durable, my ultimate amr and extra 260 have over 800 flights, my bandit is well over 400 flights, and they are still like new!
Sep 11, 2012, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan View Post
My PA planes have always been super durable, my ultimate amr and extra 260 have over 800 flights, my bandit is well over 400 flights, and they are still like new!
For someone with your abilities I am sure they are durable, but for someone who is still refining how to hover, they are not the best choice.
Sep 11, 2012, 10:51 AM
Someone in another thread was saying the bandit would be a terrible plane to land with a crosswind around 10-15mph. Anyone done this?
Sep 11, 2012, 11:00 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Someone in another thread was saying the bandit would be a terrible plane to land with a crosswind around 10-15mph. Anyone done this?
Bandit at SEFF 2011 flown by Daniel Dominguez (6 min 34 sec)

30 mph crosswind!

Quick Reply