Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Old Sep 20, 2015, 03:49 PM
Find More Posts by Dave Yost
NMPRA 34C
Yes, The Bandit was discontinued, and XR-51 is the replacement. Ever so slightly larger and appears to have the same flying qualities. I loved my Bandits, one died in a ground collision with an other airplane, the other when the canopy departed and took out half the horizontal stab and elevator.

They have since addressed the canopy issue.

I would highly recommend the XR-51. I personally like the looks of the Bandit cowling better, but that would not stop me from buying the XR-51 or 61. I am probably going to pick up one at the AMA show next year. I flew my frist Bandit for 2 years. It had the best speed range of any 3D ARF I have flown to date. Next in line would be the SebArt Su27. It is good too. It flies a little more pattern like. The Bandit was more "Explosive" for lack of a better term. Go 4S, don't bother with the 3S set up on either.

There is no such thing as too much power..........
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2015, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by Dave Yost
NMPRA 34C
Correction, XR-52. Too many numbers for us "older people who want a tame model to explore 3d with"
Old Sep 20, 2015, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Thanks sir. I have a nib that I was thinking of selling. Will get it built now. Probably going to pick up the XR61 as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2015, 04:58 AM
Find More Posts by RyoOhki1701
Counting Cubs
So I finally tried my Bandit with the 3300mAh pack I purchased earlier this year. Contrary to the e-Flite 3200 I had started experimenting with the newer packs do not fit through the firewall (it's a matter of one millimeter) and had to sit on the battery tray right against the firewall, shifting a bit of the weight aft.

It was a dangerous experiment to do with a discontinued plane but the Bandit flew happily with them, I could hardly tell the difference between these and my usual 2450mAh packs. With my 3200mAh pack which I usually installed a bit farther inside the motorbox the spins engaged and turned much faster, you could tell the nose dragged the plane down.

I might still have been a bit tail heavy with the 3300mAh though as the Bandit remained viceless, but it wanted to climb slightly whether in normal or inverted flight which was a bit upsetting. I hate to do that but I most likely will need to add a bit of dead weight in the nose.
Old Nov 09, 2015, 01:04 AM
Find More Posts by Neil_SC
Does anyone know the length and outside diameter of the CF wing tube for the Bandit?
Old Nov 09, 2015, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by aerofundan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_SC View Post
Does anyone know the length and outside diameter of the CF wing tube for the Bandit?
Email support@ they will help you.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 21, 2016, 05:14 PM
Find More Posts by camber2reflex
Just another great winter day. The XR stayed home and the Bandit did some 4S flying.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 09:21 PM
Find More Posts by Natesh
PA Team Pilot
bandit on skis!! I havent seen that before (I live in Australia, not much snow here!)
Old Aug 06, 2016, 08:25 PM
Find More Posts by RidgeMan

taranis eepe for bandit

would anyone care to share there taranis setting file for the bandit (eepe)

thanks RidgeMan
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2016, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by freddy_fo
Hello all. I just received a built but never flown bandit with all the extras as in SFGs and vortex generators. This was put together with the voltec servos and I noticed that they are terrible at centering. I happened to have 3 slightly used nxt servos I got from another member and replaced the ailerons and rudder with them. Was going to use a hitec 5085 for the elevator but after balancing with the recommended 3s 2200 battery the best I can get without adding weight is 104mm. I rebalanced with a TP 2800 3s 55C and I can get it to balance at 102mm with an inch to spare.

Has anyone had luck installing a larger servo like the 5085 for the elevator? Also, the way the linkage/control horn is configured I can't get a full 45 degrees of throw on the elevator (per the PA gauge that came with my addiction). Thinking about using a different control horn but all added up this is going to add some weight to the tail. I get about 40 degrees of throw on the elevator so do I really need more?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy_fo View Post
Hello all. I just received a built but never flown bandit with all the extras as in SFGs and vortex generators. This was put together with the voltec servos and I noticed that they are terrible at centering. I happened to have 3 slightly used nxt servos I got from another member and replaced the ailerons and rudder with them. Was going to use a hitec 5085 for the elevator but after balancing with the recommended 3s 2200 battery the best I can get without adding weight is 104mm. I rebalanced with a TP 2800 3s 55C and I can get it to balance at 102mm with an inch to spare.

Has anyone had luck installing a larger servo like the 5085 for the elevator? Also, the way the linkage/control horn is configured I can't get a full 45 degrees of throw on the elevator (per the PA gauge that came with my addiction). Thinking about using a different control horn but all added up this is going to add some weight to the tail. I get about 40 degrees of throw on the elevator so do I really need more?
Hi Freddy sounds like your elevator servo arm may be too small. I wouldn't recommend a 5085 on the elevator as the balance will be very hard to achieve. a NXT-80 works awesome on this plane! its what we use on the XR-52 which is bigger than the bandit. Anyway wih the NXT-80 and PA cf servo arm you can easily get 50 - 55 degrees of elevator throw.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan View Post
Hi Freddy sounds like your elevator servo arm may be too small. I wouldn't recommend a 5085 on the elevator as the balance will be very hard to achieve. a NXT-80 works awesome on this plane! its what we use on the XR-52 which is bigger than the bandit. Anyway wih the NXT-80 and PA cf servo arm you can easily get 50 - 55 degrees of elevator throw.

Thanks for the reply. I had some time last night after I posted this and did some further checking on the elevator and it appears that the fellow who hinged it didn't do it right to allow greater movement. The elevator physically binds at the 40 degree mark. Will use pinned hinges but will leave more of a gap so I'll fill with blenderm.

This is using the CF servo arms so I am covered there. The other thing that bothers me though is that the linkages were cut too long so that the servo arms aren't 90 degrees when the tail control surfaces are neutral. Going through my spare parts to see if I can fashion a similar linkage setup without adding weight since the ones on the plane are glued.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy_fo View Post
Thanks for the reply. I had some time last night after I posted this and did some further checking on the elevator and it appears that the fellow who hinged it didn't do it right to allow greater movement. The elevator physically binds at the 40 degree mark. Will use pinned hinges but will leave more of a gap so I'll fill with blenderm.

This is using the CF servo arms so I am covered there. The other thing that bothers me though is that the linkages were cut too long so that the servo arms aren't 90 degrees when the tail control surfaces are neutral. Going through my spare parts to see if I can fashion a similar linkage setup without adding weight since the ones on the plane are glued.
Oh i see! maybe try flexing them to see if they give up a little bit. Even if the servo arm isn't exactly at 90 degrees, you can always sub trim it and it will probably be OK.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 25, 2016, 02:46 PM
Just re-hinged the elevator and the bigger gap allows the 50 degree movement and gets the servo arm close to the 90 degrees so that fixes those problems. The rudder linkage came apart at the ball link/fiber rod (with some coaxing) so I trimmed what I needed from the rod, re-glued and get the 90 degrees there too now.

The tail feathers were canted to the left when lining up with the main wing so I did some twist and tighten with the covering iron and that is sorted now too. I'm excited to get her in the air and see how she does. I recently assembled the addiction and really love how well that plane flew straight from the table and I am hoping for a similar experience here as well.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:52 AM
Got her in the air this morning. Minimal trim to get her sorted and very happy with how she flies.