Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Thread Tools
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:00 PM
Arcturus97 is offline
Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Retreating Blade Stall
Arcturus97's Avatar
Nice Rudder dunks in the lake
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:45 AM
Reef_rc is offline
Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Registered User
Reef_rc's Avatar

Maiden and some :D


well I finally finishef the build maiden mine this past weekend. I ended up rushing to finish in time and slightly missed aligned the elevator. I cant get full 50% on up evelator; I can only get 45%. Not a big deal. Down elevator is fine.

Maiden was almost non-eventful. Mine initially started out a little nose heavy. Took a few clicks of the elevator along with aerlirons and she was trimmed. 2nd - I also had to move the battey slighty back before she was flying inverted pretty level without input.

I did noticed the elevator low rates per spec were rather tame for me and I had to bump them up to be useful.

I did find I had wing rocks when doing harrier. I probabely need to move the battery slighly forward. The plane does seem to need a lot more evelator and power to do harrier than I would have liked.

Overall it's a nice 3d sport plane. Can't waite to get more stick time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
Looks like I'll be joining the PA Bandit crowd shortly (hopefully maiden next coming weekend). I got the ipa pro package so I am looking forward to the build. My 2nd PA plane . My AddyX is currently down waiting on new landing gear. More time to catch-up on backlog builds
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:22 AM
3DeltaFly is online now
Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Byron C
3DeltaFly's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
well I finally finishef the build maiden mine this past weekend. I ended up rushing to finish in time and slightly missed aligned the elevator. I cant get full 50% on up evelator; I can only get 45%. Not a big deal. Down elevator is fine.

Maiden was almost non-eventful. Mine initially started out a little nose heavy. Took a few clicks of the elevator along with aerlirons and she was trimmed. 2nd - I also had to move the battey slighty back before she was flying inverted pretty level without input.

I did noticed the elevator low rates per spec were rather tame for me and I had to bump them up to be useful.

I did find I had wing rocks when doing harrier. I probabely need to move the battery slighly forward. The plane does seem to need a lot more evelator and power to do harrier than I would have liked.

Overall it's a nice 3d sport plane. Can't waite to get more stick time.
Congrats on the successful maiden. I found the low rates as specified to be a little to low for my taste as well, to low for everything except maybe pylon racing Actually, they are good for speed precision flying but I'm more into the slow-N-low.

On harrier performance, if it takes a lot of power then it sounds like the Bandit may still be a bit towards a nose heavy CG -- unless you mean high AOA harrier which does take a goodly amount of thrust. High AOA harrier is a delicate balancing act between AOA and forward airspeed to achieve the ultimate flight stability, and it takes a lot of practice to do well

Fitted with VGs', mine enters a nice slow speed harrier (Addiction-X style) at something around 1/8 to 1/4 throttle. I have the CG set so that the Bandit is completely neutral for 1/2 ~ 5/8 throttle flight speed, and that's my preference for 3D

Cheers, Byron
Last edited by 3DeltaFly; Aug 06, 2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:30 AM
Reef_rc is offline
Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Registered User
Reef_rc's Avatar
I believe Addict X spoiled me with AOA harrier. As you mentioned, it does seem to required more thrust and a lot more practice . For the interim, I will keep the harrier lower until I am more accustom to what's needed.

I have the VG that came with the kit but I was running out of time, daylight hours and weekend, so I gone without it. Will likely put them on after a few more flights after I am more comfortable and then see if I notice any difference like the Addict X with VG on for fun.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:03 AM
aerofundan is offline
Find More Posts by aerofundan
Registered User
aerofundan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
I believe Addict X spoiled me with AOA harrier. As you mentioned, it does seem to required more thrust and a lot more practice . For the interim, I will keep the harrier lower until I am more accustom to what's needed.

I have the VG that came with the kit but I was running out of time, daylight hours and weekend, so I gone without it. Will likely put them on after a few more flights after I am more comfortable and then see if I notice any difference like the Addict X with VG on for fun.
Definately install the VG's they make a big difference in flight performance!
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:53 PM
masehare is offline
Find More Posts by masehare
Registered User
masehare's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
well I finally finishef the build maiden mine this past weekend. I ended up rushing to finish in time and slightly missed aligned the elevator. I cant get full 50% on up evelator; I can only get 45%. Not a big deal. Down elevator is fine.

Maiden was almost non-eventful. Mine initially started out a little nose heavy. Took a few clicks of the elevator along with aerlirons and she was trimmed. 2nd - I also had to move the battey slighty back before she was flying inverted pretty level without input.

I did noticed the elevator low rates per spec were rather tame for me and I had to bump them up to be useful.

I did find I had wing rocks when doing harrier. I probabely need to move the battery slighly forward. The plane does seem to need a lot more evelator and power to do harrier than I would have liked.

Overall it's a nice 3d sport plane. Can't waite to get more stick time.
I don't think harriers are this plane's strong point. At least not coming from an Addiction or AMR. Just keep practicing them and remember, like someone said on another thread, wing rock is a function of yaw and can mostly be corrected with rudder inputs. After about 60 flights on my Bandit, I can sort of get it to harrier upright in a straight line - a little breeze from the front helps a lot. But take this as advice from a novice...
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:37 PM
Reef_rc is offline
Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Registered User
Reef_rc's Avatar
hey masehare

i would agree with the head winds aspect. After making some minor CG changes and adjusting the expo slightly, my high harrier were a lot more stable than the first set of flights on this thing. standard and low harrier were very easy. I find doing this way is easier for me to build my way up to vertical hover gradually on new plane. I've done similar with Addict X and had great results (with understanding the darn thing is relatively easier to begin with). I am hoping with enough stick time and through similar approach, I'll be able to do vertical hover with this thing in a very stable manner in short timeframe.

the bandit remind me very much something like extra body frame type planes.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:07 PM
Mr Kamikaze is offline
Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
I'm torquing to you!
Mr Kamikaze's Avatar
Yes Shaun gave me some tips a while back about reducing my expo to make some moves smoother. You have to be more careful and smooth and can't "jerk" the sticks around as much but it makes harriers and torque rolls much easier to hold.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:17 AM
chop stiX is offline
Find More Posts by chop stiX
how'd I do that....oh
chop stiX's Avatar
Reef.i find that flying in a straight line and doing a wall and transition straight into hover is always fun and you can't really screw it up too much or just low AOA harrier and kick it into hover at a slight angle using rudder and elevator combo.or high alpha KE into hover works well.or if you wanna make that all look sweet.wall into hover,kick the rudder and straight into KE always looks nice
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:00 PM
Mingus The Red is offline
Find More Posts by Mingus The Red
Registered User
Mingus The Red's Avatar

Battery placement and securing


I read many have to put the battery very far forward,like almost all the way in the motor box to achieve the proper CG. But How are you able to secure the battery from shifting if most of it is in the motorbox? Thank you for the info!
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:29 PM
Reef_rc is offline
Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Registered User
Reef_rc's Avatar
Now I've have only flown mine dozen times and still just getting the feel for the plane. My battery does extend into the motor box but no where near that much. If I recalled, I believe my 3S 2200 is placed right underneath the wing tube and extend into the motor box less than 1/4 of the battery length or so. With velcro on the battery tray, velcro on the battery and one velcro strap to around the battery and battery tray; thing seems to be pretty good.

curious where other have place their battery myself. With this battery placement placement, 2.5" front wheels and no wheel pants, mine's slightly tail heavy and when flown inverted flies level and with slight speed will climb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingus The Red View Post
I read many have to put the battery very far forward,like almost all the way in the motor box to achieve the proper CG. But How are you able to secure the battery from shifting if most of it is in the motorbox? Thank you for the info!
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:35 PM
Mingus The Red is offline
Find More Posts by Mingus The Red
Registered User
Mingus The Red's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
Now I've have only flown mine dozen times and still just getting the feel for the plane. My battery does extend into the motor box but no where near that much. If I recalled, I believe my 3S 2200 is placed right underneath the wing tube and extend into the motor box less than 1/4 of the battery length or so. With velcro on the battery tray, velcro on the battery and one velcro strap to around the battery and battery tray; thing seems to be pretty good.

curious where other have place their battery myself. With this battery placement placement, 2.5" front wheels and no wheel pants, mine's slightly tail heavy and when flown inverted flies level and with slight speed will climb.
Thanks for the info! I am still interested to see how others are approaching this as well. For sure on the velcro for the batteries and on the tray...
Last edited by Mingus The Red; Aug 08, 2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:05 AM
masehare is offline
Find More Posts by masehare
Registered User
masehare's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingus The Red View Post
I read many have to put the battery very far forward,like almost all the way in the motor box to achieve the proper CG. But How are you able to secure the battery from shifting if most of it is in the motorbox? Thank you for the info!
On mine the 3S 2200 battery is as far forward as it can go into the motor box. When inverted it dives slightly with half throttle. I've just added a thin strip of velcro fur on the tray to act as resistance. The battery has velcro hooks to aid with the resistance. And then the battery is tied down with a velcro strap that is located right against the fire wall. No problems with this setup so far.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:44 AM
Reef_rc is offline
Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Registered User
Reef_rc's Avatar
hey guys

Thought I let you know I've finally installed the VGs and settled down with this baby to my style and liking now. For a while there I had her slightly tail heavy and as a results high harrier and semi-hover was giving me wing rock issues. Since moving the battery slightly forward as noted in the pic below (battery is placed on the 2nd green line from the top), high harrier has definitely been more stable and the glide is long and smooth. This basically is my neutral position. Both standard and inverted level flights are pretty much hands free. Other light3d moves are also fun on this plane - KE (high and low), flat spin, blender, etc.

This is a fun sport/3d plane indeed. I am sure it'll also be a racer once get on 4S and 12x6 or12x7 prop
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:57 AM
aerofundan is offline
Find More Posts by aerofundan
Registered User
aerofundan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
hey guys

Thought I let you know I've finally installed the VGs and settled down with this baby to my style and liking now. For a while there I had her slightly tail heavy and as a results high harrier and semi-hover was giving me wing rock issues. Since moving the battery slightly forward as noted in the pic below (battery is placed on the 2nd green line from the top), high harrier has definitely been more stable and the glide is long and smooth. This basically is my neutral position. Both standard and inverted level flights are pretty much hands free. Other light3d moves are also fun on this plane - KE (high and low), flat spin, blender, etc.

This is a fun sport/3d plane indeed. I am sure it'll also be a racer once get on 4S and 12x6 or12x7 prop
Awesome to hear that!!!! its amazing how different it feels on 4S! its really cool because its like you can have two different planes just by changing prop and battery!!!! I sold my old blue one, and hope to start putting together a new one in a different color very soon!!! i LOVE the bandit
Site Sponsor


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Precision Aerobatics Addiction X Official thread / Video just posted!!! aerofundan 3D Flying 5931 Yesterday 07:20 AM
Discussion Anyone else wish Precision Aerobatics would make a larger electric 3D monoplane! Neil_SC 3D Flying 19 Sep 24, 2014 12:14 PM
Wanted Precision Aerobatics Katana MD or Precision Aerobatics Mini Katana mixer911 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Jul 16, 2009 01:52 PM
Found 3d hobbyshop/precision aerobatics/greatplanes**3d yak/suk/katana/edge/extra helifryer Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 10 May 20, 2009 10:13 PM
Discussion Precision Aerobatics How To Series, 3D Aerobatics & Repair Guide aerofundan 3D Flying 22 Jan 03, 2009 10:52 AM