Thread Tools
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:21 PM
PA Funk is offline
Find More Posts by PA Funk
Registered User
Mike, I have a question for you regarding the Bandit. I have put roughly 15 flights on my Bandit and in inverted flight it will climb out and will actually do and outside loop hands off. Plane is balanced at the suggested 103 cg point. All other flight attitudes are normal. Any suggestions as to what may be causing this.

Thanks for your input.
Craig
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:40 PM
Manta1 is offline
Find More Posts by Manta1
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Funk View Post
Mike, I have a question for you regarding the Bandit. I have put roughly 15 flights on my Bandit and in inverted flight it will climb out and will actually do and outside loop hands off. Plane is balanced at the suggested 103 cg point. All other flight attitudes are normal. Any suggestions as to what may be causing this.

Thanks for your input.
Craig
If plane is trimmed for level flight when flying in a straight line you need to move your battery pack forward at least an inch and retrim for level flight and do inverted test again. Repeat all steps until the plane doesnt climb out inverted. You really want a slight dip so you keep a touch of down when inverted. Your plane sound tail heavy
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:49 PM
cloaked is offline
Find More Posts by cloaked
Why did I sell them all.
cloaked's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Funk View Post
Mike, I have a question for you regarding the Bandit. I have put roughly 15 flights on my Bandit and in inverted flight it will climb out and will actually do and outside loop hands off. Plane is balanced at the suggested 103 cg point. All other flight attitudes are normal. Any suggestions as to what may be causing this.

Thanks for your input.
Craig
3/4 Throttle Inverted 45* climb, if it rolls out or loops out (inside or outside) its not trimmed correctly.

(I had to learn this just last month)
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:08 PM
mtwargo is offline
Find More Posts by mtwargo
PA Team Pilot
mtwargo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Funk View Post
Mike, I have a question for you regarding the Bandit. I have put roughly 15 flights on my Bandit and in inverted flight it will climb out and will actually do and outside loop hands off. Plane is balanced at the suggested 103 cg point. All other flight attitudes are normal. Any suggestions as to what may be causing this.

Thanks for your input.
Craig
They are right... manufacturer's recommendation is where you start. All airframes are a bit different. PA, I must say, nearly always balance near the recommended because they research a lot. I can tell you last year with the bandit prototype I must have had 20 conversations with Shaun about where it was balancing. He is very meticulous about it. But still, The plane is balanced when the plane is balanced as they just said. THe plane shouldn't climb inverted unless the cg is aft. Even if it balances on the recommended. Adjust it until after retrimming for level flight and you fly inverted at 3/4 throttle at a 45 upline it just begins to make a slight arc downward. JUst so you need a very slight elevator input.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:10 PM
PA Funk is offline
Find More Posts by PA Funk
Registered User
Thanks Manta 1 and Cloaked. I was thinking the same thing, but I have not pushed the battery that far forward yet.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:18 PM
PA Funk is offline
Find More Posts by PA Funk
Registered User
Thanks Mike, I will put your suggestions to use this weekend and get it balanced.
So far, the Bandit does impress me even with the aft cg.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:04 AM
Mr Kamikaze is offline
Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
I'm torquing to you!
Mr Kamikaze's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Funk View Post
Thanks Mike, I will put your suggestions to use this weekend and get it balanced.
So far, the Bandit does impress me even with the aft cg.
Well it won't with an aft CG where it is climbing when inverted. But once you get it sorted I think you will find it a lot of fun!!!
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:05 AM
PA what else is offline
Find More Posts by PA what else
TRETTLOCK
PA what else's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwargo View Post
Thanks..
fast..
Old Mar 16, 2012, 08:52 AM
Arcturus97 is offline
Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Retreating Blade Stall
Arcturus97's Avatar

Cowl install


Hello all, I'm nearing completion of my Bandit assembly. This is my first balsa arf so I've been going extremely slow to make sure I don't goof it up (I bought it during the after Thanksgiving black Friday sale). Anyway, all I have left is cowl and spinner installation, then setting CG. I'm hitting a roadblock with the cowl - I can't get it in far enough. Its very close now, the spinner backplate is just barely rubbing on the right side. I've sanded the left corners of the motor box per the manual - and I keep sanding them, I even started sanding the right corners. It seems the only solution is to continue sanding the motor box corners until it fits. I'm worried I could weaken the motor box. Any other solutions or keep on sanding? My goal is to maiden this thing on Sunday - so I have two more nights left in the workshop.

Thanks
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:04 AM
demonGti is offline
Find More Posts by demonGti
Precision Aerobatics Team
demonGti's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus97 View Post
Hello all, I'm nearing completion of my Bandit assembly. This is my first balsa arf so I've been going extremely slow to make sure I don't goof it up (I bought it during the after Thanksgiving black Friday sale). Anyway, all I have left is cowl and spinner installation, then setting CG. I'm hitting a roadblock with the cowl - I can't get it in far enough. Its very close now, the spinner backplate is just barely rubbing on the right side. I've sanded the left corners of the motor box per the manual - and I keep sanding them, I even started sanding the right corners. It seems the only solution is to continue sanding the motor box corners until it fits. I'm worried I could weaken the motor box. Any other solutions or keep on sanding? My goal is to maiden this thing on Sunday - so I have two more nights left in the workshop.

Thanks
Fit your cowl on as far as it will go and carefully look through the holes at the front to see if the motor box is indeed fowling against the cowl.
My guess is if you've already rounded the corners of the motor box then it may be the bottom of the cowl is pressing against one or both of the CF LG legs.
If this is the case just file a notch out of the cowl to clear the offending leg so you can press it on deeper.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:50 AM
aerofundan is offline
Find More Posts by aerofundan
Registered User
aerofundan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonGti View Post
Fit your cowl on as far as it will go and carefully look through the holes at the front to see if the motor box is indeed fowling against the cowl.
My guess is if you've already rounded the corners of the motor box then it may be the bottom of the cowl is pressing against one or both of the CF LG legs.
If this is the case just file a notch out of the cowl to clear the offending leg so you can press it on deeper.
Yep, what Malcolm is saying is spot on, also make sure to have your canopy hatch installed when you are doing this, it will help guide the cowling so you won't have trouble installing it when the canopy hatch is on.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:58 PM
Arcturus97 is offline
Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Retreating Blade Stall
Arcturus97's Avatar
Thanks Malcom and Dan. Yes, hatch is on and cowl is touching motorbox. At first I wasn't even close to cowl touching LG but it's there now and I've filed a gap - but cant push into that gap yet. I'm taking it to a more experienced builder tonight for help - he doesn't have the Bandit but does own the Extra MX.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 06:30 AM
jetspeeds is offline
Find More Posts by jetspeeds
Registered User
I had the same problem. Although I just kept sanding all four sides. After sanding and fitting. I applied some extra epoxy to the motor box corners that I sanded. Just in case of weakening the motor box. FItted well and good, infact I sanded too much on some corners. I would not think it is too much a concern with sanding. Just make sure its straight with the airframe/spinner and close to the spinner back plate. Good luck. The plane is a joy as well as a surprise to fly. Goes fast, but slows down to snails pace to land.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:10 AM
Arcturus97 is offline
Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Retreating Blade Stall
Arcturus97's Avatar
I got the cowl on, or I should say my friend did. It just took some more sanding, not only on the corners but just a little along the top edge of the motorbox. All I have left is spinner installation and battery placement / CG. It should fly Sunday, very excited.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 03:06 PM
mtwargo is offline
Find More Posts by mtwargo
PA Team Pilot
mtwargo's Avatar
just a joke...
Last edited by mtwargo; Mar 17, 2012 at 07:47 PM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Precision Aerobatics Addiction X Official thread / Video just posted!!! aerofundan 3D Flying 5934 Dec 07, 2016 05:39 PM
Discussion Anyone else wish Precision Aerobatics would make a larger electric 3D monoplane! Neil_SC 3D Flying 19 Sep 24, 2014 12:14 PM
Wanted Precision Aerobatics Katana MD or Precision Aerobatics Mini Katana mixer911 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Jul 16, 2009 01:52 PM
Found 3d hobbyshop/precision aerobatics/greatplanes**3d yak/suk/katana/edge/extra helifryer Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 10 May 20, 2009 10:13 PM
Discussion Precision Aerobatics How To Series, 3D Aerobatics & Repair Guide aerofundan 3D Flying 22 Jan 03, 2009 10:52 AM