Mar 02, 2013, 09:33 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
Very Nice!

I went out to the field yesterday and flew my Waco. What a great flyihg plane! I'm flying mine with the DLE20 from now on. Plenty of power and great manners.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
to remove ads between posts
Mar 17, 2015, 09:24 AM
I was delighted to complete the Great Planes Waco. I put great attention to detail, making a custom cockpit, with pilot, instrumen panel, etc...I put an OS 120 with no silencer. The power is great, and after doing a couple of tanks, I did some simple acrobatics. All great. After a few landings though, the landing gear collapsed backwards, and the plane finished nose down at the middle of our asphalt strip. I was shocked after seeing that the wood attachment of the landing gear was dislodged, and was only very little glue in the borders, if there was any at all. There was some secondary damage, but the main reason was that the piece of ply that received the screws of the landing gear was very weakly glued. It was impossible to look at it in advance, because it is in the inside of the airframe. I would like to know if anyone has experienced something similar, and to make you check before flying your airplane, specially in those first flights. I am working on the repairs now, and hope to have it ready for the next weekend.
Mar 17, 2015, 10:02 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
That's the first I've heard of a gear failure on the Waco. Maybe you should take some pictures and send them to Hobbico so they can check on the recent production run of kits. I've had any number of less than perfect landings with my Waco and the gear are still firmly attached.

McD
Mar 17, 2015, 06:40 PM
I have not heard of any landing gear failures yet. Mine has many less than perfect landings to it's credit, both on grass and petromat, as well as one accidental launch from the table. Other than damage to the wheel pants, the gear has held up well.

Might be a good idea to post some pictures of your failure, if possible.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:58 AM
Old and In The Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird
I spent the afternoon building a dummy radial for my GP WACO
Very nice job on the dummy engine! The plastic on mine was so brittle it kept shattering. I ended up tossing the thing and ordered the Top Flite ABS one instead.
Last edited by michaelnel; Mar 28, 2015 at 12:18 PM.
Apr 04, 2015, 02:11 PM
sturmovik
I have one of these beautys and it is a great flying biplane. Mine has a xyz 26 pulling it around.
Apr 04, 2015, 04:03 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
It should fly great with that 26. Mine has been flying with a DLE 20 for quite a while now and the only problem I've encountered was that one of the angle clips that mount the N braces fatigued and broke at the bend line. I replaced it with a thicker clip and haven't had any issues since. Just an FYI, you might want to check those angle clips after a few flights and be sure they are in good shape.

McD
Apr 04, 2015, 04:20 PM
Good heads up. Mine will maiden within the next week or two.
Edwin
Apr 26, 2015, 02:49 PM
Old and In The Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taote
I After a few landings though, the landing gear collapsed backwards, and the plane finished nose down at the middle of our asphalt strip. I was shocked after seeing that the wood attachment of the landing gear was dislodged, and was only very little glue in the borders, if there was any at all. There was some secondary damage, but the main reason was that the piece of ply that received the screws of the landing gear was very weakly glued. It was impossible to look at it in advance, because it is in the inside of the airframe. I would like to know if anyone has experienced something similar, and to make you check before flying your airplane, specially in those first flights. I am working on the repairs now, and hope to have it ready for the next weekend.
I too had a major structural failure on the very first landing of mine. I was not the pilot, it was being flown by a guy who is likely the most experienced RC flyer in our club, with a 5 digit AMA number. It flew great with the OS 120 4 stroke, but when it came time for the first landing, he found he did not have enough elevator * to do the flare he needed, and it came down pretty hard. It knocked one of the gear fairings and the underside belly cover off.

However, upon closer inspection, we found LOTS of damage to the airframe. He is also a very experienced builder and is doing the repair for me, but we saw lots of engineering problems in the landing gear area. They have the gear mounted to a 1/4" plywood plate, which is good, but it is supported not very well by a framework of very thin ply and balsa, and many of the glue joints came apart and the support area pretty much crumpled and collapsed. I am sure it will be stout when he finishes re-engineering it and repairing it, but it's really pretty disappointing.

* note that the lack of elevator travel was my fault. For some reason, post-mortem showed that I had set the elevator travel to only 70% when I was setting the throws, which was totally my fault.
Last edited by michaelnel; Apr 26, 2015 at 02:54 PM.
Apr 26, 2015, 06:56 PM
Did my maiden, uneventful and flew beautifully. Engine is a VVRC 20cc. More than enough power. I did not put a baffle in the cowl as an experiment. My telemetry says my normal head temp is about 170* F. It DOES go into thermal runaway when the engine is shut off up to about 250*F but quickly comes down from there. It lands a bit heavy but is pretty easy to control.
Edwin
Aug 23, 2015, 09:44 AM
2 many planes & 2 little time
I have this plane on order. I enjoyed all the videos and reports. I see the manufacture says 20-30cc gas but so far everybody is saying 20 is plenty of power? I read one 26cc. I have a 30cc. Would this be too much motor?
Aug 23, 2015, 10:04 AM
Nope, its got a pretty wide range. You'll love it.
Edwin
Aug 23, 2015, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1
Nope, its got a pretty wide range. You'll love it.
Edwin
Good to know. Thank you
Tower gave an $80 coupon and free shipping on this
Aug 23, 2015, 07:10 PM
That's pretty good, it's how I got mine. Makes it more affordable. I ended up using thin ca with a fine applicator to fasten the plastic fairings to the fuse. They weren't warped too bad but just enough that tape wouldn't hold it down while RC560 cured. It's a pretty straight forward build.
Edwin
Aug 23, 2015, 08:36 PM
I'm sure I'll be back with questions.
I got the plane today. Man, it looks great. Very yellow.
A spacious 8+ inch diameter cowl has me looking through my inventory at other engine options. I have some little twins that might be fun.
Last edited by scootrb4; Aug 25, 2015 at 11:17 PM.

Quick Reply