Apr 03, 2012, 09:17 AM
I've just bought one and I really like the idea of keeping the center top wing section attached. Can you explain more how you modified the assembly and how it has worked out for you?

Thanks,

Jaybird
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2012, 03:16 PM
The centersection are mounted normally and I only did a small tab as shown in the picture.
May 22, 2012, 10:06 AM

Upper wing joiners

I used your idea and modified it a bit. I put basswood blocks inside the wing root ribs next to the spar box on both the center section and outer panels. I glued the spar joiners into the outer panels like you did and then used heavy nylon straps screwed into the center section and 4-40 threaded brass inserts in the outer panels. The outer panels slide in, the servo leads are connected and then once the panel is seated (2) 4-40 socket head screws go through the the strap into the inserts and it's done. It's more exposed than your design but quicker than the kit the design. The radio and engine are installed and once the final CG check is done it should be ready for this weekend.

Jaybird.
May 29, 2012, 10:13 AM

Successful maiden flight

Finally had a break in the wind very late Monday evening so I ran up to the field as the sun was going down and the clouds were building. The plane went together quickly with the center section modifications and keeping the interplane strut brackets bolted to the struts. The take off roll was down wind so I could avoid doing the "limbo" under the telephone wires on my first take-off. The tail came up quick but it was slow to lift off even at full throttle. I fianlly had enough back pressure to get it to lift off and climb out. I found it needed a lot of up trim and once that was set it cruised around nicely. A little right aileron trim had hands off passes up the field. I tried some stall turns and loops which were very nice at half throttle. I climbed to altitude to try slow flight and stall and found it would crawl at just over idle and finally break into a stall with a quick nose drop and then start flying again. It took a couple of passes into the wind to get the landing speed figured out and my last approach worked great and put it right on the runway.

Hopefully I'll have some in-flight pictures and video later on.

Jaybird
Last edited by Jaybird; May 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
Jun 11, 2012, 11:18 AM

In-flight phots and video

I finally had a chance to fly with the club photographer present this weekend and he got some good shots and a video posted.

Jay's Great Planes Waco YMF-5D (1 min 50 sec)

Still flying great and really draws a crowd.

Jaybird
Last edited by Jaybird; Jun 12, 2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Added video link
Jul 06, 2012, 04:09 PM
Anyone think the new Saito FG-21 (gasser four stroke) would fly this plane? Thanks.
Jul 07, 2012, 08:01 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
I've flown the Waco with a .91 2-stroke and a 100 4-stroke and it flies fine. I'd think the FG-21 should fly it fine. The FG-30 would be more fun though.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Jan 22, 2013, 09:04 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
I recently converted the Great Planes Waco to DLE20 power. Here is a video of the plane. I have only run about a gallon of gas through the engine and it's set pretty rich, but it has plenty of power! I was concerned about that persistant miss though. See Post #43 for my solution to the miss problem.

GP Waco DLE20 (8 min 13 sec)

McD
Last edited by kingsflyer; Feb 07, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
Jan 22, 2013, 10:16 PM
wood is good
Beautiful plane but that looks like way too much power.

I'm at the other end of the scale and have purchased a Saito FA-115 for my 1/5 Pica Waco kit.
Jan 23, 2013, 07:13 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
You can always throttle back. The portion of the video flying at about 1/4 throttle up to almost 1/2 throttle is pretty much scale speed and performance. Sometimes its nice to have a little extra power for when you get bored with putting around the sky and would rather tear it up for a while. The GP Waco and the DLE20 make an impressive combination.

McD
Jan 26, 2013, 08:50 PM
I've been adding some details to mine that include flying wires, aileron pushrods, tail braces and center section tank details. I'm still working on the dummy radial engine. The flying wires are mounted to the fuselage and cabane struts and clip to brackets on the wings for removal. the aileron pushrods are telescoping on the top clevis so they won't fight the servos top and bottom.

It's been fun and dresses it up nicely I think.

Jaybird
Jan 29, 2013, 02:53 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
Very Nice!

McD
Feb 07, 2013, 02:16 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
I found the source of the engine miss shown on my earlier video. It turned out to be the ignition module. I replaced the ignition module and that solved the problem.

Here is a video of the Waco after I replaced the ignition.

DLE20 Fixed (4 min 7 sec)

Much Better!

McD
Last edited by kingsflyer; Feb 07, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
Feb 07, 2013, 03:40 PM
Have to admit, I wouldn't mind getting one of these somewhere along the line. A number of years ago my club went down and visited the Waco factory and they gave us a tour around showing us how they build the real ones. Great guys, and they really let us see what was involved in the process. It was pretty neat, because it really was pretty similar to how the models are built these days.
Feb 17, 2013, 09:04 PM

Dummy radial engine

Very windy and cold weekend up here in Maine, so I spent the afternoon building a dummy radial for my GP WACO ARF using the included plastic dummy radial and pushrod tubes. I mounted the plastic motor to a lite plywood backer plate so that I can mount it to the battery tray which is mounted to the firewall instead of gluing it to the cowling as per the instructions. I added a few details to try and represent the wire harness and spark plug wiring. It's cut out to provide cooling air for the single cylinder Saito 125 and the muffler. The firewall has right thrust built into it and the battery tray has it as well so the dummy engine sits at an angle in the cowl but it does fit around the engine nicely. I may see if I can add a wedge behind the mount as I continue to work on it to see if I can change it's position. I plan to add a lower support post as well to reduce vibration. Not bad for an afternoon's work.

Jaybird

Quick Reply