Battery Upgrade for Hitec Aurora 9 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 26, 2011, 04:14 PM
Discussion

Battery Upgrade for Hitec Aurora 9

Hello all,

I wish to upgrade the battery in my Hitec Aurora 9 TX as the factory battery doesn't last long enough.

There are eneloops of various capacities as well as Life batteries out there that I am considering. I have an Accu Cycle Elite Pro charger, plus the factory supplied Hitec charger.

I am looking for suggestions as to which way to go here. If I went with a Life battery would I have to take it out of the Tx each time it needed charging? Would my Accu Cycle charger handle the eneloops? How about the Life battery?

Thanks for your help.

John T.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2011, 06:24 PM

Aurora 9 - Lipo Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptonks
Hello all,

I wish to upgrade the battery in my Hitec Aurora 9 TX as the factory battery doesn't last long enough.
There are eneloops of various capacities as well as Life batteries out there that I am considering.
I have an Accu Cycle Elite Pro charger, plus the factory supplied Hitec charger.
I am looking for suggestions as to which way to go here.
If I went with a Life battery would I have to take it out of the Tx each time it needed charging?
Would my Accu Cycle charger handle the eneloops?
How about the Life battery?Thanks for your help.John T.
There are several commercial alternatives e.g.
7.2v 2500mah NiMH 6 cell AA For Aurora 9
Whilst copy of the Lipo battery jpg is attached hereto, recommend read the full link.

LiFE is not recommended, refer
Aurora 9 - Battery Installed ex Factory is part #54128 "TX NiMH battery (6 cell) Pack
(Flat Type) for AUR (RA9) 7.2v / 1300 MAh"(not an Eneloop 2000)....
.. Includes notes on Battery Compartment Size, Alternate Batteries and 2S Lipo Capabilities for Aurora & Optima RX.
extract:
"5. Hitec Transmitters:
Caution: Do Not Use LiFE in Hitec Transmitters using a 6 cell NiCD/NiMH pack
.e.g. Aurora 9 and Optic 6 Sport. Not only is the size to large for the pocket, the nominal voltage is already at the Low battery Warning level.<snip>"

Aurora 9 - Lipo & Field Charging. includes Fast Charge Aurora, Eclipse 7, Flash 4&5, Laser, Optic 6, Prism 7 etc.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
(quick search = Ctrl+F)
Last edited by A.T.; Jan 27, 2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: attach .jpg
Mar 26, 2011, 06:41 PM
I know a couple people using a Thunder Power 2s 2100mah, awesome battery and makes the TX feel nice and light.
Sep 05, 2011, 07:44 PM
Could someone tell me what the highest capacity NimH and Lipo's are for the Aurora 9? After upgrading to v1.08 I noticed the drain was much quicker than with v1.06.
Sep 06, 2011, 08:12 AM
My radio is new and am using LiPo 2500.Charged up and used it all day Sat and half day Sun the batt reads 60%,turn off the backlight on the screen,or make it turn off after 10 sec.
Sep 06, 2011, 08:22 AM
I have been using this for a year or more. Works great. I charge about once a month or so. Charging to 100% and leaving it there like I do probably shortens the life of the battery but that is an acceptable loss. It's on a $10 battery so if it lasts 2 or 3 years then I feel like I got my moneys worth. You could spend $20 for a 2500 nimh pack and if it lasts 4 years you have really only broke even compared to the lipo. The only down side to the lipo is I take it out of the radio to charge it whereas the nimh will charge in the radio but it's really not that big of a deal.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

Edit: If you buy a 15 or 20c lipo it's a couple of dollars cheaper and really a 5 or 10c lipo will work for this application. Also many people are very happy with a eneloop pack if you prefer those.
Sep 06, 2011, 11:51 AM
Hi,
The problem with removing the battery for charging, is that you do that about 50-100 times a year, you will possible get contact problems in the connector. The connector is certified to about 50 connect & disconnects.

By putting in an 2500mAh NiMh, you can put the charge plug every night, if necessary. Usually a previous night charging is enough for a whole next days flying.
When the Lipo is out of capacity, it just dies, and then you are in deep sh*t.

/Kimi
Sep 06, 2011, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi
/Kimi
And this is different with another battery (not LiPo)? Your radio will work with an empty (out of capacity) NiCad/NimH-battery?

Udo
Sep 06, 2011, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Hi,
The problem with removing the battery for charging, is that you do that about 50-100 times a year, you will possible get contact problems in the connector. The connector is certified to about 50 connect & disconnects.

By putting in an 2500mAh NiMh, you can put the charge plug every night, if necessary. Usually a previous night charging is enough for a whole next days flying.

/Kimi
I used another connector in between the stock Hitec connector and the battery so I don't unplug the Hitec connector.
Sep 06, 2011, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Hi, The problem with removing the battery for charging, is that you do that about 50-100 times a year, you will possible get contact problems in the connector. The connector is certified to about 50 connect & disconnects. By putting in an 2500mAh NiMh, you can put the charge plug every night, <snip> /Kimi
Correct. There is a photo with instructions for use of an adapter with Lipo under:
Aurora 9 - Lipo & Field Charging. includes Fast Charge Aurora, Eclipse 7, Flash 4&5, Laser, Optic 6, Prism 7 etc.

Lipo users also need to be aware :
Aurora & Optic 6 Sport TX - Low Battery Alarms:
Aurora - The alarm is fixed at 6.9v no matter what type of battery you use which still gives you plenty of time to land after it goes off.
The user adjustable voltage cut off is for safety so not to over discharge the Lipo just in case you accidentally leave your radio on.
Refer manual page 62 for setting Lipo cut off from 6.0v< 6.6v .
Optic 6 Sport - Caution - The alarm is fixed at 6.6v for NiMH.
If using Lipo, land without delay as very little time remains.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features

Alan T.
(quick search = Ctrl+F)
Sep 07, 2011, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I did what the photo shows but instead of using a Deans connector, I used a JST connector.
Sep 22, 2011, 12:14 PM
Foamy Pilot
I will be picking up this radio this weekend. Is there anything I have to do/modify to use a 2500 lipo? Id rather use a lipo instead of the stock battery.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug
My radio is new and am using LiPo 2500.Charged up and used it all day Sat and half day Sun the batt reads 60%,turn off the backlight on the screen,or make it turn off after 10 sec.
Sep 22, 2011, 03:02 PM
Go into the software and tell it you are using a 2 cell lipo.
Sep 22, 2011, 03:28 PM
Foamy Pilot
Do I have to solder a new connection? Im sure there is more to just changing the setting?
Sep 22, 2011, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ5000
Do I have to solder a new connection? Im sure there is more to just changing the setting?
"Do I have to solder a new connection?"
- depends upon battery pack ordered as to whether it is one supplied with the correct connector or not.

Refer picture post #10 above and more under Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers & Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features

e.g.
. Aurora 9 - Lipo User Adjustable Voltage sets Shut Down.
- TURNS TX OFF to save damage to Lipo Battery and/or TX
(Audible Battery Warning is still at 6.9V with Lipo which provides say 10-20 min before shutdown.)
. Hitec Aurora, Eclipse, Flash, Optic, Prism series - Lipo and Field / Fast Charging

Alan T.

Quick Reply