Jun 27, 2017, 03:25 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
While we're on this note... Hal's ashes arrived at a local funeral home. A Celebration of Life
will be held at Skydive Deland. At 4:30pm on Saturday, his daughter, Kailey, will jump from the last plane Hal went up in. She will do a tandem jump with a good friend , and on the way down she will scatter the ashes over his favorite place in life. After she lands.... there will be a second jump of professional skydivers that Hal had met from all over the world. They will all jump together and form the name "Hal" as they fall. I still can't believe he's gone. ... ... .. ....
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2017, 04:24 PM
Cranky old fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Is the Vue turbocharged like the WRX? My son's WRX will break your neck when you stand on the throttle. I like the sound of the blow off valve in the turbo.
Does the Vue have the standard Boxter engine?
The Vue has a V6 - 270 hp, no turbo. I had a Forester XT for 11 years with a number of mods, so I am well acquainted with Subaru engines. The XT was a great sleeper. It was faster than a WRX and attracted no attention at all. I could light up all 4 tires at launch!
Jun 27, 2017, 04:55 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The Vue has a V6 - 270 hp, no turbo. I had a Forester XT for 11 years with a number of mods, so I am well acquainted with Subaru engines. The XT was a great sleeper. It was faster than a WRX and attracted no attention at all. I could light up all 4 tires at launch!
Is it a gas sucker? My Mustang is a v6 .... 320hp .... naturally asprirated. It's a dang rocket! But, I hear there will be no more V6 engines in Mustangs starting in 2018. When I asked why, I was told it was because of the terrible mileage they get. I don't know what that's all about, but mine runs all week on $20 worth of 85 octane. And, my foot is heavy. I need to call the dealership to see if that's true.

(Dam! It takes forever to charge the battery in this new SKY Hawkeye quad) !!
Jun 27, 2017, 05:49 PM
Cranky old fart
Quote:
Is it a gas sucker? My Mustang is a v6 .... 320hp .... naturally asprirated. It's a dang rocket! But, I hear there will be no more V6 engines in Mustangs starting in 2018. When I asked why, I was told it was because of the terrible mileage they get. I don't know what that's all about, but mine runs all week on $20 worth of 85 octane. And, my foot is heavy. I need to call the dealership to see if that's true.

(Dam! It takes forever to charge the battery in this new SKY Hawkeye quad) !!
The Forester XT got 21 mpg, which is not great for a car that weighs 3180 lbs. My 3800 lb Lexus does better. The new generation turbo motors are all 1.5 liter (or smaller). With a turbo, they make a lot of power for their size. What they don't tell you is turbo motors don't last long if you push them. My XT needed a new motor at 92k miles (rings were gone) and a new turbo at 105k miles.
Jun 27, 2017, 07:33 PM
Curse you, Red Baron!
Quote:
The Forester XT got 21 mpg, which is not great for a car that weighs 3180 lbs. My 3800 lb Lexus does better. The new generation turbo motors are all 1.5 liter (or smaller). With a turbo, they make a lot of power for their size. What they don't tell you is turbo motors don't last long if you push them. My XT needed a new motor at 92k miles (rings were gone) and a new turbo at 105k miles.
I'd bet that was improper turbo maintenance.

Everyone remembers the 1987 Buick Regal Grand National (and all its variants), right? 3.8L intercooled turbo V6 - bloody rocket, it was. My family used to own a Buick dealership back then, and I learned all about turbo maintenance.

The issue is heat.

Lots of heat.

Because that's how a turbo works. So to compensate for all this heat, you need to 1) change the oil twice as often, and 2) cool the oil off after driving. You do that with (get this) 5-10 minutes of idling the engine. This cools the oil down enough to prevent heat-related breakdown.

This is important enough that the new turbo Audis have turbo cool-down built into the car software - it automatically idles the engine for 5 minutes after you turn off the ignition.
Jun 27, 2017, 10:28 PM
Cranky old fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Override View Post

Everyone remembers the 1987 Buick Regal Grand National (and all its variants), right? 3.8L intercooled turbo V6 - bloody rocket, it was. My family used to own a Buick dealership back then, and I learned all about turbo maintenance.

The issue is heat.

Lots of heat.

Because that's how a turbo works. So to compensate for all this heat, you need to 1) change the oil twice as often, and 2) cool the oil off after driving. You do that with (get this) 5-10 minutes of idling the engine. This cools the oil down enough to prevent heat-related breakdown.

This is important enough that the new turbo Audis have turbo cool-down built into the car software - it automatically idles the engine for 5 minutes after you turn off the ignition.
I am well aware of turbo cooldown issues and had a turbo timer added. But, the stock units used by Subaru (TD05) were cheap units made by Mitsubishi. You had to go to the aftermarket to get a good ball bearing turbo with ceramic coating.

Me and turbos go back a long way. My first turbo was the Corvair Monza Spyder. It held the national record for SS/J class for awhile with a 14.38 at 101 mph. That was pretty fast for 145 ci flat 6 in 1965. Sometimes when there were handicap races, I raced against the hemis (SS/A and SS/B ) and beat them! They had to spot me 35 car lengths! Since then I have owned many turbocharged and supercharged vehicles. If you push any of them, the rings don't last. Turbo/ supercharger impeller blades/vanes get pretty loose around 80K miles, on even the most expensive units.

And thanks for jogging the old memories. Those were some fun cars!
Last edited by Balr14; Jun 27, 2017 at 11:32 PM.
Jun 28, 2017, 03:25 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Sorry I haven't been keeping up everyone. Doing the Bugs 6 review but, most importantly visiting with Sonny. He got the call this morning about 7:30 AM. His wife Elaine had passed away. He called here this morning crying and talked with Patti. He told Patti not to wake me but, that's the kind of Guy he is and he probably didn't want me to hear him crying. He called on our home phone whereas he ALWAYS calls me on my cell phone.

I dug up some nice pics I have from all the vacations we went on together that I sent him

I hope to be catching up to the read soon Guys.

Mike.
My sympathy, Mike

Quote:
Looks good! I don't see any vibrations.
Yeah, I wish I had some footage of flying with the stock props, to highlight the dramatic change in image quality when flying. It was so bad that apart from the drifting issues, I couldn't stand watching the FPV video. Now the image is almost just as steady as when the motors are not spinning.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jun 28, 2017 at 07:24 AM.
Jun 28, 2017, 09:13 AM
Childlike Activity for Adults

Leo Unchained

It appears that Leo is making the best of this Gulag experience. He may not want to be bailed out on Friday.

He's a real humanoid "ladies man".

With some of the staff there I wish that I was a checked in old dog "playing" in the yard.

Apparently I missed out on the 1" hail that fell in MA with the last wave of Tstorms yesterday.

Aunt Jane is more alert and responsive since her medications were "re-adjusted." It's bad enough to be challenged with a dementing illness. To be "snowed" by medications does not help.

I was involved in longterm geriatric care doing diagnostic assessments for a good part of my "career" and I have never seen a dementing illness present symptoms like Aunt Jane's . I suspect that she has suffered a series of deep seated "mini-strokes" in addition to her dementing illness.

Aging is not for sissies.

A beautiful day here in Getzville, NY today....... Mixed sun and clouds with temperatures expected to get into the low 70ºF's.

Tomrrow's weather may present as "interesting" for our trip home.

With this trip I discoverd that my body does not like prolonged driving anymore.
Jun 28, 2017, 10:38 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Thread OP
Morning Jay. I just came back inside from cleaning out my mini pond. A lot of plants were overgrown, not easy for me to pull the big oversize pots out. I drained most of it yesterday before I got too tired and ran out of time. This morning I used a five gallon shop vac to drain the rest. Now I am waiting for the hose to fill it up again.

Looks like Leo is having a great time. Maybe it is time to get him a smaller buddy to play with at home.

It is a beautiful sunny day with the temps in the mit 70's. Taking off to our favourite home cooking restaurants in the Mennonite/Amish area. I am looking forward to fresh strawberry pie with whipped topping.

Mike, hope Sonny is coping.
Jun 28, 2017, 11:39 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Override View Post

The issue is heat.

Lots of heat.

That's strange.... I drove a turbocharged Mercury Cougar for over 100k miles and I changed my oil normally. I never cooled it down either. When I traded it in on my Stealth... it was running great and actually had more power than the Stealth did.
Jun 28, 2017, 12:54 PM
Cranky old fart
Quote:
That's strange.... I drove a turbocharged Mercury Cougar for over 100k miles and I changed my oil normally. I never cooled it down either. When I traded it in on my Stealth... it was running great and actually had more power than the Stealth did.
The late 80s T-bird/Cougar used detuned versions of the SVO Mustang engine, with lower boost and were limited to 150 and 190 hp (depending on transmission). The engineering and components used were very good and could handle well over 300 hp. I recall that Thursday was turbo night at Great Lakes Dragway in the early 90s and lots of T-Birds, Mustang SVOs, Turbo TAs, GNXs and Syclones showed up, as well as the occasional Cougar. Some of the SVO Mustangs ran pretty good for 2.3 liters. They were running 20 - 35 lbs of boost, which was really pushing their luck. Stock on the Mercury Couger was about 9 lbs, just to give you an idea of how much more room they had. It isn't surprising your Cougar was still going strong at 100K miles.
Jun 28, 2017, 01:48 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
The late 80s T-bird/Cougar used detuned versions of the SVO Mustang engine, with lower boost and were limited to 150 and 190 hp (depending on transmission). The engineering and components used were very good and could handle well over 300 hp. I recall that Thursday was turbo night at Great Lakes Dragway in the early 90s and lots of T-Birds, Mustang SVOs, Turbo TAs, GNXs and Syclones showed up, as well as the occasional Cougar. Some of the SVO Mustangs ran pretty good for 2.3 liters. They were running 20 - 35 lbs of boost, which was really pushing their luck. Stock on the Mercury Couger was about 9 lbs, just to give you an idea of how much more room they had. It isn't surprising your Cougar was still going strong at 100K miles.
Yep.... 4 cyilinders and plenty of boost. I remember when Bobby Rahal was winning all of the Indy car races using a 2.0 liter engine and huge turbo chargers.
I happened to have a very good friend who was the service manager for Daytona, Lincoln Mercury and I bought my Turbo Cougar from him. Then we went about trying to find more boost. Tom had access to everything .... and he found a way to do it by using a "finger drill" to put a small hole in the vacuum line.
We did it to mine and from then on it put out 14lb of boost. Man, it felt like it had two engines. lol The couger finally wore the valve guides out and every time you started it....oil smoke blew out the exhaust. It cleared right up after the start.... but I knew there were worse things to come.... So I got rid of it.
Jun 29, 2017, 03:54 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Any people here ever tinkered with C64 and other "home computers"?

Rymdreglage - 8-bit trip (3 min 50 sec)
Jun 29, 2017, 11:27 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Any people here ever tinkered with C64 and other "home computers"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qsWFFuYZYI
LOL.... Yes, I had several of them. I ran a bulletin board for years ..... I still have the computer.
Jun 29, 2017, 11:42 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Thread OP
Good afternoon. It is cloudy and rainy here. But not hot, however the humidity is bad so I put the A/C on.

I guess Jay is on his way home, I missed his morning report.

What's up down in Florida Buzz? Get that new heli all tuned in yet?

Quick Reply