Mar 26, 2011, 01:39 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
Thread OP
Discussion

How much heat can Corrosion-X handle? And can it be wiped off easily?

Two questions.. Simple enough.

Now here's the long version:

I'm about to do my first application of corrosionx. I got the 16oz squirt bottle which I am going to dump into a mason jar. I plan to submerge my ESCs, RXs, and servo driver boards in the liquid and leave them there for a day or so (based on other things I have read). I will agitate the liquid from time to time to eliminate bubbles.

The RX is easy, I will remove the case and submerge it. Once I remove it I will allow it to drip dry and then put it back in it's case.

The Servos could be a little bit of a challenge. I think I only want to get the circuit board treated, maybe not the whole servo. I'm open to input though.

Finally is my ESC. I have two Turnigy Plush ESCs that I will be doing. I have the option to remove the heat shrink and then put new heat shrink on after the corrosionx is applied. I already have the heat shrink so it's no big deal. Or I could just plop the whole thing in there without removing the heat shrink.

When I put the new heat shrink on the 80a ESC it will be a tight fit. I wonder if I will rub the corrosionx off of the ESC? Also when I apply the heat gun to shrink the stuff on the ESC.. Could that hurt the corrosionx? I'm thinking the heat won't be a big deal, the package talks about it being used as a lube in high heat environments. And of course the ESC is going to get hot while in use. But it's better to ask questions first and be prepared right?

Thanks.

Included are pics of my two float planes.

-Jay
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2011, 09:20 PM

Corrosion-X?

Where did you buy the Corrosion-X?
Mar 26, 2011, 09:35 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
Thread OP
Here... With USPS shipping it was just under $23. Seems pricey but if it saves my electronics I suppose it is worth it.

I went ahead and pulled the heat shrink off the 80a ESC and one of my RXs. They're soaking in the jar now. Tomorrow I'll probably put the plane back together.

-Jay
Mar 27, 2011, 02:26 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
Thread OP
The stuff is pretty neat. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. It's like a dark green medium/light oil. Doesn't seem to be too nasty to handle. Using this dunking technique this 16oz jar should last me forever hehe.

Tomorrow I'll pull the stuff out and let it drip dry. Then re-cover the ESC and put the RX back in it's case.

Then I'll have to put the Toledo back together and take the Taylorcraft apart to treat it's stuff.

-Jay
Mar 27, 2011, 08:53 AM
Seaplane Nerd
I have only used the spray CorrosionX, but it seems to be a grease/solvent mix. Once the solvent evaporates the grease is left behind. It may liquefy when you shrink the plastic around the ESC, but I don't think it will be as hot for as long as a reasonably enthusiastic flight. And if ESCs need all this cooling, why do they wrap them in a plastic sleeve anyway? But I digress.
Wiping off? Get some on your hand and see if it wipes off. Better yet-get some on your monokote and try to get trim to stick to that area. Accidentally WIping CorrosionX off is very low on my list of fears
Mar 28, 2011, 06:23 PM
A few of my flying buddies and I use Corrosion X and that at the time we were using it, it was stated that only use on the recievers. I would just dip the reciever in some corrosion X and let it drip dry overnight. I don't even bother to wipe it off.

It was posted here I think some time ago not to use Corrosion X on servos and ESC and of course the motors. I have not had a bit of trouble by just using it on just the receivers.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Have Fun!

Roland
Mar 28, 2011, 07:18 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
Thread OP
First time I've read that. What exactly were the problems you were having?

The ESC is what I need protected the most. The RX gets put in a balloon. The ESC has to be out in the air.

-Jay
Mar 29, 2011, 04:36 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
Thread OP
Well I got the airplane put back together. ESC seems to work fine. Hopefully Ronald will reply and let me know what I am looking for as far as problems go.

Maybe float flying tomorrow, have to see what the wind does.

-Jay
Mar 30, 2011, 03:19 PM
I fly off salt water () so everything (apart from servos) gets a thorough dunking in Corrosion X - Rx, ESC, motor, connectors, push-rods, fittings, the lot. No problems so far.
Mar 30, 2011, 04:16 PM
Seaplane Nerd
I'd use Cx on the circuit boards inside the servos, but not in the potentiometer. And almost all servos have brushed motors, so I don't think you want it on the commutator.
Be sure to hit All your connectors.
Brushless motors: There's nothing to hurt unless the dried CorrosionX adds a lot of viscosity to the bearings.
Receiver and Speed controller? Dunk 'em.
Apr 01, 2011, 11:41 AM
We shall serve the Lord
What Jim C said! If you want to treat the servos, apply the CorrosionX to the PC board with a brush. Absolutely treat the ESCs - Dunk 'em.

Be sure and treat ALL the connectors. Without treatment, water will wick up between the insulation and the small strands of the conductors and start to corrode the individual wire strands.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Apr 01, 2011, 03:24 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
Thread OP
Noted on the connectors. Will do.

-Jay
Apr 02, 2011, 10:44 AM
CSI
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Hey, Great information guys. I am fixing to put my first water plane together and have really wondered how to use this CX stuff. This thread has helped answer a few of my concerns.
If I read this right...dunking the brushless motor is a good idea? Do you just oil the bearings afterwards?
Thanks,
Ken
Apr 02, 2011, 03:26 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
Thread OP
CX is oil(ish).. I wouldn't worry about it.

-Jay
Apr 02, 2011, 03:39 PM
Seaplane Nerd
The motor is the least of your worries.
Corrosion X will protect the laminations and the coils of wire. Those are stationary.
Any excess on the magnet can will probably be slung out.
Be sure to coat the shaft and bearings, where rust actually can degrade performance.

Quick Reply