Oct 15, 2001, 09:07 AM
Thread OP

Does this look like a good starter pylon racer?

I'm wondering if this would make a good training pylon racer. I found the plans on the internet and it looks like it will only take a few hours to build. The specs are:

wing span: 30in.
wing area: 180 sq. in.
weight: 15 oz.
Power: 90 watts/lb.
Airfoil: RG14

Heres a pic of the plans
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2001, 10:35 AM
Looks reasonable to me. If you want a bit more speed, you could probably thin down the fuselage a bit and also thin the wing a little.
Oct 15, 2001, 01:04 PM
I built a few of these back when the article was first posted, they fly great and the fuselage is very roomy if you use the recommended gear. Mine came out slightly tail heavy, couldn't move the battery any further forward to fix this. I'm not really sure why...in any case, this could always be worked out by puting a 480 and bigger cells in there
Oct 15, 2001, 05:28 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
This would makes a good sport plane, the RG-14 is a bit slow for pylon racing. And there is a lot of wing. A good strat if you never flew a small plane before.
Oct 15, 2001, 06:50 PM
Thread OP
I've flown small, fast planes before (1/2a Strike w/Norvel .061, Diamond Dust, own design delta 24in. span) so I am pretty used to how small planes fly. If this plane lookes too slow, does anyone have any plans for a faster S400 pylon type racer? I like scratch building so I would rather have plans than a kit. Any help would be apprecated.

I kind of like the looks of this one.
Oct 15, 2001, 06:56 PM

1st Pylon Plane

I and many people have and really enjoy the DMA Flea. It is a great start into Pylon type Planes. And its not so bad to have a quality laser cut kit. Try it you will like it
Jim
Oct 16, 2001, 12:46 AM
I think you'll be bored with the Sport, Acer, unless you really over-power it Is that Diamond Dust a glow model? I've seen one of those fly with some sort of K&B engine (I think) and it goes like stink! Sounds like you need something faster.
Oct 16, 2001, 08:30 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Acer,

The plan is ok, just change the profile to a thinner one and the plane will be faster. Its all in the airfoil. You don't have to over power it.
Oct 16, 2001, 01:18 PM
Gravity sucks.
You could thin out the wings a bit on my Python if you want a free plan that looks like plane, not a tube with wings.If you wanna be competitive, you need the tiny wing area little demons like a SkaT.Python is easy build design, too.Check out the plan in the CONSTRUCTION section on the ezone.
Oct 16, 2001, 02:10 PM
RPV builder & operator
Built on of those, with a big fat all balsa wing. It was tail heavy, so I ended up doing a nose job, by extending the fuse one extra inch. Not too fast, but fast enough as an aileron trainer. Got it working on just one aileron, and it tracks pretty good, although rolls are now tricky. Sustains inverted flight with a bit of down elevator. Glides nicely with power off. I usually just fly it up, glide a bit, dive w/o power and go back up while trying to stretch the battery as much as possible. It's one though bird though, I've smacked it a few times in trees and bushes, but I've always been able to fix it up again. If you keep light, and use the thinner airfoil, it would make a reasonable pylon trainer.
Here's a pic before the nose job:
Oct 16, 2001, 07:09 PM
Thread OP
Yeah, the Diamond Dust is a glow plane. Mine flies about 110 mph. Mark, I would definetly like a set of plans for your Python. I have seen your Sportwin in the MAN magazine and am loking forward to building one in the future. My email address is at: [email protected]

Here's a pic of the DD for those interested, it's under a 24" glider I designed.
Last edited by Acer; Oct 16, 2001 at 07:12 PM.
Oct 17, 2001, 05:47 PM
Gravity sucks.
Drop me note to email, ACER.We'll figure it out.

Quick Reply