Festo SmartBird - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 25, 2011, 10:38 AM
Discussion

Festo SmartBird

From Festo website:

SmartBird is an ultralight but powerful flight model with excellent aerodynamic qualities and extreme agility. With SmartBird, Festo has succeeded in deciphering the flight of birds one of the oldest dreams of humankind.

This bionic technology-bearer, which is inspired by the herring gull, can start, fly and land autonomously with no additional drive mechanism. Its wings not only beat up and down, but also twist at specific angles. This is made possible by an active articulated torsional drive unit, which in combination with a complex control system attains an unprecedented level of efficiency in flight operation. Festo has thus succeeded for the first time in creating an energy-efficient technical adaptation of this model from nature.
New approaches in automation

The functional integration of coupled drive units yields significant ideas and insights that Festo can transfer to the development and optimisation of hybrid drive technology.

The minimal use of materials and the extremely lightweight construction pave the way for efficiency in resource and energy consumption.

Festo already today puts its expertise in the field of fluid dynamics to use in the development of the latest generations of cylinders and valves. By analysing SmartBird's flow characteristics during the course of its development, Festo has acquired additional knowledge for the optimisation of its product solutions and has learned to design even more efficiently.

Festo - SmartBird (1 min 48 sec)

Festo - SmartBird Animation (English) (1 min 20 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2011, 11:57 AM
Zdfzdf
Last edited by krasitonev; Jul 24, 2011 at 05:29 AM.
Mar 25, 2011, 12:10 PM
I want one
Mar 25, 2011, 12:43 PM
That bird is very nice! The mechanisms look very familiar but then again there are only so many ways to skin a cat. The straight mid-wing hinge line is simple enough. That's all I need to do to my articulated bird and I'm sure it will fly much the same. I had a canted hinge line in mine which looked cool but made it unstable. Personally I don't like the hyperextension of the outer panels though. They need to go down, but not up so much. It looks like a "double jointed" bird. That is what you get with a basic 90 degree out of phase connecting rod off the main drive. It would take a little more complexity to get actual bird-like phasing.

So why can't it penetrate the wind?
Mar 25, 2011, 12:48 PM
Xhmvmn
Mar 25, 2011, 12:53 PM
Sean - Sleep less and come up with one that I can fly where I fly and for sure I will be your 1st customer.
I will post my full carbon fix wing Gull glider some time next week that has the full gull profile which already flown for about a month now, great solpe soaring bird but I prefer a flex wing though.
Mar 25, 2011, 12:58 PM
N nmvnm
Mar 25, 2011, 01:02 PM
Is this one made by someone in France ? Hi Krasi - any idea the construction material ? I molded my 1st one with 2.4OZ carbon cloth the wing and the body but too fragle but I can get it airboned at about 8MPH, it did not last due to light material. My 2nd one I placed more carbon cloth but I need 12+MPH. My wings are hollow without inner spar to kkep it light but the airfoil just perfect. I have JR 168DS servos on the wing ( tried lighter weight servo won't last. It would be great if I can have some more info about this bird.
Last edited by LifeisGood; Mar 25, 2011 at 01:11 PM.
Mar 25, 2011, 01:15 PM

Lots more here:

Festo are being generous, their Smartbird PDF answers a lot of questions:

http://www.festo.com/net/SupportPort..._110311_lo.pdf

Bruce
Mar 25, 2011, 01:16 PM
Bn n
Mar 25, 2011, 01:31 PM
This thread has articulated wings in it so I thought I'd post some of my archive photos. The Festo bird has what I coined "stage 1" articulation which is a first step. Kudos to them...their bird flies...but full stage 3 articulation is going to be far more complex. Here are some photos from a mechanism I made in early 1995. It was powered by an OS .32 helicopter glow engine.
The wing phasing was very good but this was way before I had any airframe at all. I have lots more archive photos. I'm not lying when I see someone else's mechanism and say to myself..been there, done that.
Mar 25, 2011, 01:50 PM
Xfgn
Last edited by krasitonev; Jul 24, 2011 at 05:30 AM.
Mar 25, 2011, 01:58 PM
Nmvnm
Mar 25, 2011, 03:12 PM
Ok, so his bird is one of a kind, thanks. Whereas, mine is a production one though. I made molds for the wing and boby - 6 separate molds in total.
Mar 25, 2011, 03:55 PM
Gchm