Apr 03, 2017, 09:53 AM
I would think that would be a fairly easy affair. I think you could do that on a simple arduino or even on redundant arduinos. I monitor my batteries now so. I'll certainly build a scale model first.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2019, 08:20 AM

Dale Kramer honored

Lazair Stamp Unveiling (6 min 43 sec)

Congratulations!
Apr 25, 2019, 09:33 PM
Dale:

When you look at the Average Part 103 Ultralight today, they Cost around $15,000 and are not Selling as well as they should, mainly account of Poor Marketing, and the Top two that come to mind is the Aerolite 103 in 2nd place, and the Phoenix 103 in 1st place which has the Highest Useful Load of 396 lbs. We know the Lazair took off marginally on 11hp, better with the (2) 9.4 [email protected], Rotax 185's and with 5 Gallons could Fly for 2 hrs. Today 2019, Hirth Sells the F-36, 2 Stroke, rated at 15 [email protected] with a Muffler. With a Modern Tuned Pipe you could make even more 20-40% HP at same rpm, or use a Lower 5000 rpm and still make more 20-40% HP.

F-36 with Recoil Start $1963.00
F-36 with Recoil Start & Re-Drive $2364.00
F-36 with Electric start & Re-Drive $2964.00

Now today 2019, you can Buy a Honda or 20+ different Clones from different manufacturers. A $99 when on Sale from Harbor Freight a Predator 212cc is rated [email protected] With a few cheap Bolt on Mods (Bigger Carb, Tuned Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, maybe a CR Bump) it can make [email protected]

The Harbor Freight, not larger in Size Predator 420cc is Stock [email protected] and Cost $360. A 420cc with all the Mods, 34mm Carb, K&N, Tuned Exhaust, CR Bump made Max [email protected], it was making [email protected], was still making [email protected]

The Best Bang for your dollar is an [email protected] 440cc Duromax with Electric Start for $289.00 off eBay or Amazon. 77 lbs Dry Weight and can be lightened with aftermarket Racing parts, like a Billet Aluminium Flywheel.
https://www.duromaxpower.com/product...c-start-engine

High Rpm = HP & Noise.

People need/want a Lazair Quick Build kit with a Low-Cost 212cc to 420cc Honda Type Engine with a Cheap Belt Drive something like from Ace Aviation. The Duromax 212cc is rated [email protected] Dry Weight 46lbs. Can be lightened with aftermarket Billet Flywheel, etc.
https://www.aceaviation.co.uk/redrives

As much as I, and You, and these other people would like a Quieter Electric Lazair, the Batteries & Motors just Cost too much, take to Long to Charge, to give you a Profit Range. Maybe, making the Wing Skin out of that Flexible Solar Panel stuff may Help Boost your Flight Time and Shorten Recharge Time but also Cost more $$$. If it can't Compete in the $15,000 Gas Powered Part 103 Ultralights that can Fly for up to 2hrs, you won't have many Sales. People like 4 Strokes more than 2 Strokes.

Just a few Sources for Honda/Clone Racing Engine HD parts. Some have Dyno Sheets of their Engines.

http://www.nrracing.com/category-s/2138.htm

https://www.arcracing.com/gx390/

https://www.bullfrogperformanceproducts.com/

Rich Gillen
Last edited by Armilite; Apr 26, 2019 at 12:29 PM.
Apr 26, 2019, 02:28 PM
@armilite

Anyone looking to fly "as cheap as possible" should not be flying. There are certain areas in aircraft that require significant investment. If you can't afford the investment, you should choose a different sport/hobby.

I would never risk my life with a Harbor Freight motor. Even "quality" small 2 strokes and 4 strokes are notoriously unreliable.

Well engineered electric power-trains are orders of magnitude more reliable and safer. Beyond that, the reduced fuel and service costs are very real and pay for the initial price difference easily.

I fly an electric ultralight, the E-Gull. I have over ~$15,000 in the power-train alone. But it will give me ~2000 hours of trouble free, cost free service. Any roughly comparable ICE engine would cost much more per hour over that lifespan. Just the fuel at 2gal/hr would be... 2gal x 2000 hours x $4/hr = $16,000 dollars. That doesn't include initial costs, oil, service, overhauls, etc...

And I'm not even going to go into the quietness and green aspects of electric systems...

If you're going to fly lots of hours, electric makes huge financial sense, even if you won't fly enough hours to realize the financial benefits, the safety and ease of use are very real and easily worth the cost, assuming you value your life as much as I do.

I also have a lazair in the process of being converted to electric, just lack the time...

I have tons of videos on my youtube if you are interested in the E-Gull
E-Gull 2nd flight! Wally's 1st electric flight! 2-24-2019 (1 min 36 sec)
May 19, 2019, 07:52 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00bd0g
@armilite

Anyone looking to fly "as cheap as possible" should not be flying. There are certain areas in aircraft that require significant investment. If you can't afford the investment, you should choose a different sport/hobby.

I would never risk my life with a Harbor Freight motor. Even "quality" small 2 strokes and 4 strokes are notoriously unreliable.

Well engineered electric power-trains are orders of magnitude more reliable and safer. Beyond that, the reduced fuel and service costs are very real and pay for the initial price difference easily.

I fly an electric ultralight, the E-Gull. I have over ~$15,000 in the power-train alone. But it will give me ~2000 hours of trouble free, cost free service. Any roughly comparable ICE engine would cost much more per hour over that lifespan. Just the fuel at 2gal/hr would be... 2gal x 2000 hours x $4/hr = $16,000 dollars. That doesn't include initial costs, oil, service, overhauls, etc...

And I'm not even going to go into the quietness and green aspects of electric systems...

If you're going to fly lots of hours, electric makes huge financial sense, even if you won't fly enough hours to realize the financial benefits, the safety and ease of use are very real and easily worth the cost, assuming you value your life as much as I do.

I also have a lazair in the process of being converted to electric, just lack the time...

I have tons of videos on my youtube if you are interested in the E-Gull
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EfOvA4ROpU

Is your E-Gull an EAB? Did you build it at home or at the "factory"?
Did you wind up using the ZERO power system?
What motor? Joby?

EDIT: Found this video. Answers my questions:
E-Gull intro video (9 min 24 sec)

Did you convert it or was it built from scratch as an E-Plane?

Thanks!
Last edited by scrtsqrl; May 19, 2019 at 08:27 PM.

Quick Reply