Mar 20, 2016, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloOne
I don't think I said anything about shelving it.
It is just time and money that is needed, both are in short supply.
If the eLazair is what most people want, then why hasn't anyone offered deposits when they know that funding is a problem (which I have posted a number of times in this thread)? It would be irresponsible for me to fund it nowadays (meaning since I moved to the US and do not have any of the resources my life in Canada created).

Dale
I hear what you are saying in regards to time and $. Nothing against RCGroups and its members as I have been a member for years and love the site but its probably not the best site to help fund a project like eLazair.

Axefly suggested back in 2013 that you should start a Kickstarter for eLazier. I think you would definitely find out what kind of interest is out there for a plane like this if you were to reach out to the masses. Please don't get me wrong, I think what you are doing is awesome stuff and appreciate you sharing. I know you will be successful with your new design and look forward to seeing her fly!

Thanks,

Dennis
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2016, 09:04 AM
Dale Kramer
Thread OP
Dennis,

It wasn't just here, it was the after response from 2nd Oshkosh visit and more.

It wasn't like 1979 when people were throwing money at me Times change.

To put the eLazair into production nowadays would likely require hundreds of thousands. I do not want to shoestring it again.

I think those levels would be hard in a KS campaign.

I thought I would test KS with a small campaign and with a new design. Not much luck with it so far.

Thanks for kind comments.

Dale
Mar 31, 2016, 10:26 PM

Man this thread is old!

I started reading every post on this thread one by one! I looked up Dale Kramer on Wikipedia and found this:

"The designer of the Lazair, Dale Kramer, was an aeronautical engineering student at the University of Toronto when he attended the Oshkosh EAA convention in 1977."

"WAS".....they killed you off on your Ultraflight Lazair Wiki entry. You need to correct this Mr. Kramer.

I hope this post finds you well!

Joe
Apr 01, 2016, 12:28 AM
Dale Kramer
Thread OP
Joe,

I think technically the was's are used correctly, as in, I was going to university when I designed it...

Glad you found it interesting enough to get to the end, but this is not the end!

Dale
Apr 08, 2016, 02:18 PM
Dale Kramer
Thread OP
For those interested, I have decided to create a construction log about designing and building the vLazair on our new website. The project status page is http://www.vLazair.com/projectStatus.html

Be sure to 'Subscribe to Page Updates', on that page, if you want to receive an email every time I update the page.

Dale
Apr 09, 2016, 06:43 AM
Team WarpSquad
Dale: Great to see you are still designing flying stuff! I've loved the twin-engine Lazair since I was a kid. Sorry to hear the eLazair didn't garner more interest at Oshkosh some years ago. Hope that the recent popularity of multi-rotors and "drones" will propel the vLazair to great success!

Link to the official vLazair website and vLazair on Kickstarter. 30 days seems short for a Kickstarter. Maybe there is a way to extend the campaign while you drum up more publicity and backers?

There's also an excellent EAA video from 2011 of the eLazair on floats. Good stuff!
Apr 09, 2016, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm
Dale: Great to see you are still designing flying stuff! I've loved the twin-engine Lazair since I was a kid. Sorry to hear the eLazair didn't garner more interest at Oshkosh some years ago. Hope that the recent popularity of multi-rotors and "drones" will propel the vLazair to great success!

Link to the official vLazair website and vLazair on Kickstarter. 30 days seems short for a Kickstarter. Maybe there is a way to extend the campaign while you drum up more publicity and backers?

There's also an excellent EAA video from 2011 of the eLazair on floats. Good stuff!
I forgot about that great video, bookmarked for sure.

Thanks,

Dennis
Apr 15, 2016, 07:24 AM
Team WarpSquad
Too bad the Kickstarter didn't go very far. Back to dreaming about finding an original Lazair for cheap at a yard sale...
Apr 27, 2016, 06:06 PM
I'm thinking of selling my Rotax powered Lazair.

To much wind where I live limits my flying.

Edit: Sold it back in the spring.
Last edited by Helno; Sep 18, 2016 at 08:19 AM.
Feb 19, 2017, 10:09 AM
Edward here looking for battery vest for 10 minute climb to altitude above farm. Series II and possibly III. What about new batteries
Feb 19, 2017, 03:24 PM
Thinking Graphene, electric and a few good Aircadets to get things going again. Hope to raise some funds. Remember Dale the progress you have made through the development you contributed.
Feb 19, 2017, 03:27 PM
Brainstorm I have two in the barn waiting for the new generation electric. Don't kid yourself there still worth my time and effort
Feb 19, 2017, 10:32 PM
Team WarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieRomeoXray
Edward here looking for battery vest for 10 minute climb to altitude above farm. Series II and possibly III. What about new batteries
Edward: I've been spending most of my time with micro quadcopters. So I don't know much about larger LiPo batteries and electric motors that would be needed to power a manned electric Lazair. However, I would think that newer batteries, including the Graphene type that you mention, would offer improved performance and thus a better chance at success.

You may also want to have a look at Dale's vLazair website. He has e-mail and phone contact information at the bottom of the homepage. Maybe you can reach him and ask for advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieRomeoXray
Brainstorm I have two in the barn waiting for the new generation electric. Don't kid yourself there still worth my time and effort
No doubt that getting a Lazair flying again would be worth the time and effort. Of course, the time and effort required would be significant, and require some experience with manned fixed wing flight. (My experience is limited to hot air balloons and RC models.) Where in the world are you and your barn with the two Lazairs located?

In other news, I had not checked the vLazair Project Status page in much too long. Prompted by your message, I went to have a look and see that Dale received 3D printed parts for the RC scale model of the vLazair. I wonder whether it has flown by now?

I also realized that Dale has posted a number of excellent Youtube videos, incl. this brief overview of the vLazair:

vLazair - Vertical flight and faster than most helicopters (2 min 33 sec)
Mar 31, 2017, 02:04 PM
Don't let this thread die. I know I'm about five or six years late but there is absolutely no reason today why these new motors can get us up in the air. I can't afford to fly a $150 per hour cessna. How about a plane utilizing about a wing array of smaller 130kv motors. Seems smaller motors might be safer anyway. Lose a motor or two and no biggie.
Mar 31, 2017, 02:14 PM
I have thought about making an electric full size. The problem isn't the motors, or even the ESCs. It is managing the battery, with hundreds of cells. Just one going faulty during charge or discharge could ruin your day. The technology to safely charge a large battery easily has been developed for electric cars, but it is all propriety and not available to modellers or full size small manufacturers.

Developing a battery management system to go in a flying aircraft that can monitor all the cells and preferably disconnect a failing one is not an easy problem. It will require safety critical embedded programming, not easy or cheap.

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Stainton; Mar 31, 2017 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply