Aug 05, 2011, 02:15 PM

Amazing!

I have been following this thread for a while now. Dale, I am amazed by your efforts. I have a Minimax ultralight that has suffered some damage from an off airport landing. It has been in a barn for five years now because I am not willing to rebuild it just to put another two stroke motor on it. You have inspired me to see if I could convert the minimax to an electric airplane. Keep posting your progress. One of these days I might just go for it.
Levi
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2011, 02:59 PM
DS JUNKY
All this reading about the electric Lazair and last night I had a dream I was flying it!
Aug 05, 2011, 06:19 PM

I was mesmarized by Lazair at Oshkosh!

Mr. Kramer,

I was fortunate to see you fly Lazair at Oshkosh. I had to check this site as soon as I returned home. I never knew such a thing existed until I saw you fly it. You are a true pioneer to come up with a design like that more than 30 years ago! It was very comforting to see a twin amphibian ultralight. What a great safety net!! Kudos to you for making it fly on batteries as well. Please keep those creative juices flowing.

With Best Wishes,
- Ravi.
Aug 06, 2011, 09:20 PM
Hi Dale,

Just wanted to say it was a pleasure being able to fly with you (I fly a Powered Paraglider so I got to fly in the same time slot/pattern with Dale) and I hope everything is OK with Carmen. Did you have a chance to view the videos I shot of the E-Lazair? If there's any problem with the videos let me know.

Mike
Aug 06, 2011, 11:39 PM
Dale Kramer
Thread OP
Hi Mike,

Yes I have been able to look at your footage. I believe I will use some of your footage and some from another video sequence to make a video of Oshkosh Lazair flying.

Not sure when I will put this together but I will post it when I am done.

Thanks again for letting me use your video and for fielding all those questions about electric power systems when you were around the Lazair.

Dale
Aug 07, 2011, 07:58 AM
This is very exciting, electrics is advancing by the week as we speak.
Aug 07, 2011, 08:04 PM
customstandoffs
The next big leap in battery technology will be exciting for sure
Aug 08, 2011, 01:10 PM
Oleg Golovidov

Still waiting for the full report from Dale!

meanwhile, found some pics of Dale flying in Oshkosh on James Wiebe's blog:

Quote:
Tuesday, August 2, 2011
Best Aircraft at Oshksoh 2011
Long time readers are aware of my interest and experimentation in electric aircraft. Here's the first one I've seen that appeals to me. It had reasonable performance, length of flight, and simplicity.
My attempts to fly the Belite with electrics have produced a very good, very short flight. I'd shelved the project until I had some inspiration worth working on.
I learned a lot from this plane. Got my inspiration back.

Aug 09, 2011, 12:28 AM
X-Era Motors
Might want to get the corrosion on the magnets taken care of, NdFeB magnets corrode very quickly in the elements. They can turn to dust in no time at all.

Also neato to see the motor brake working well. Should help your glide ratio a bit!!

David B.
www.xeramotors.com
Last edited by DavidB.; Aug 09, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
Aug 09, 2011, 02:40 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Extremely cool his one take the phrase fun on the beach to a new level.
I am impressed by the short charging time, and long duration!
My 36 v. 10 Ah 250 W. electric bicycle use several hours to charge after a couple of hours use.
The future is electric, but it will take some time.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 03:48 AM
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam).
Aug 09, 2011, 09:07 PM
Gravity always laughs last

Will you come to N.E.A.T. Fair?

Downsville NY, about 120 straight line miles from Hammondsport.

3 days of electric geekdom
Aug 10, 2011, 07:59 AM
Hi Dale, it was great to finally meet you and Chappy after all these years, well worth the trip from Australia to see you fly the E Lazair. here is the link to the Go Pro footage
Electric Lazair at Airventure (4 min 36 sec)

Hope to see you again. BTW if you want big thermals come downunder in summer!
Ozzie
Aug 10, 2011, 08:17 AM

Footage

Did the GO PRO record the whole flight or is this it? Would be cool to see a landing.

Gotta love the sound, much better than a few gassers running. Also, is it me or the camera but does the port side engine mount assembly seem to oscillate up and down?

Thanks for the video footage!

Dennis
Aug 10, 2011, 04:34 PM
I mounted the camera with the suction cup mount and it is very flexable.
They do not stick well in humid weather and it fell off after 35 minutes. Good thing i had a safety strap.
ozzie

Quick Reply