100% scale, Electric Lazair - Page 16 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 16, 2011, 07:57 PM
Dale Kramer
Quote:
Originally Posted by donmei
Great photos. Whats your all up, flying weight now?

Are you still going to be an ultralight, or will you have to register it as an experimental?
I'm thinking it couldn't be a LSA because they're restricted to single engine. (motor in your case)

Don
Don,

See post #158 in this thread re weight issue. With the JM1's I am up to about 290'ish pounds. Not counting my ounces as much anymore since I re-read Part 103.

Dale
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2011, 07:59 PM
Dale Kramer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
Congratulations! It is a remarkable technical achievement and you have such a wonderful spirit of adventure. Thank you for letting us share this adventure with you.
Thanks Kgfly,

It is comments like yours and others that I may not have responded to but have taken to heart that really make me want to come home at night and post here.

Dale
Jul 16, 2011, 08:09 PM
Dale Kramer
Chappy,

Great to see that you were able to finally join rcgroups.

Really looking forward to seeing you guys there, I have given up on having the motorhome rebuild ready for Oshkosh so we are trying to find accommodations starting Monday. As you know because of my accident I am left with needing an ankle replacement so Oshkosh walking will be hard on me. I may rent a handicapped scooter and use my handicap sticker to park in a lot close to main gate. I plan to park the Lazair in itinerant ultralight parking with the generators at the airplane and fly it as much as the ultralight flying schedule will permit.

I am sure you noted that I did not really say we were getting 5.5 hp out of the P60's, just that they were 5.5 hp Pioneer chainsaw engines.

The chances of me making Oshkosh is getting better everyday.

Dale
Jul 16, 2011, 08:13 PM
Dale Kramer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06kal
Dale how does the performance compare to the 9.5hp rotax? Also I would think when you are up at 6000msl the electric system would feel far more potent when you push the throttle forward. Do you plan to do any real high altitude flying now thay you have a potent power system for high altitude flying?
Z06kal,

My perception is that the performance is significantly better than the 9.5hp Rotaxs at the same flying weight and at the top of the thermals I never thought to test a WOT climb in dead air above the clouds. I will add that to my 'to do' list. And, no I do not have any plans of being anywhere that the high altitude performance would be needed but I agree it should be good.

Dale
Jul 16, 2011, 08:53 PM
Dale Kramer

JM1 - third day flying

After day 1 and 2 what else could I say.

Well, how about 8500 msl and another 2 hr 30 min flight.

I took off at about 2:20 and had to be down by 5:00 for a BBQ. I climbed to about 500 feet in sink until I finally hit lift and reduced power gradually where, by 1000 agl I turned the motors off completely. Today I wanted to purely soar. With the windmilling wash on the inverted v tail, control was really sluggish and the plane was buffeting most of the time but I persevered and had quite a little local cross country for two hours of soaring with no electric power. I had on a long sleeve shirt for the flight but I forgot to wear gloves or I would have tried to get to the clouds which looked like 9000 msl or so. As it was I was barely able to get my Iphone out of my pocket with my stiff fingers after being in the 45 degF air. Sorry, only one blurry picture taken today with frozen hands, not quite at my high point but when you add the 1400 elevation of my takeoff to this agl reading it was close to max height. It was even harder getting it back in since the pocket had a velcro flap and a pocket divider in it. The last 20 minutes or so I motored back to the airport and put on a little show for the BBQ crowd, including a landing and another takeoff.

After the BBQ I put on another 10 minute tight circuit show (some of you have seen these before) for the crowd. I am really getting comfortable in using electric power, it is all that I have dreamed of.

And, before I came home I charged the batteries. It took 45 minutes and I was able to only put 60% of a full charge back in before they were topped up. That means I had 40% charge remaining after all that flying.

More tomorrow!

Dale
Jul 16, 2011, 11:15 PM
BVH
BVH
Thanks for letting me enjoy small craft flying again vicariously through you!
Jul 17, 2011, 07:52 AM
+1
I gave up flying my RV4 when I had kids. Its awesome to read of your progress. I had forgotten how exciting first flight reports were. Congratulations again.

Don

p.s. my standing joke is that the first time I come home from work and my daughter tells me "I hate you daddy", I'm taking a flying lesson and buying a motorcycle.

p.p.s. I still have the RV4, can't bring myself to sell it.
Jul 17, 2011, 07:04 PM
Dale Kramer
Not much to report tonight, I spent the day getting ready for what I hope will be a special flight tomorrow.

I hope to post after a good day tomorrow.

Dale

P.S. Don, that is a nice plane you have, I have an RV8 that doesn't see the sky as much as I'd like lately too.
Jul 17, 2011, 09:49 PM
Watts up ?
Hi Dale - Fantastic result so far, wish I was coming from Australia to Oshkosh b ut not sure if I can make it this year... I to fly an RV-8 ! Fantastic aircraft but it may be sold to fund a Carbon Cub SS ! Have not had a chance to keep up to date with your thread due to work / house move but did you get any video at all ?

Cheers
Garth
Jul 17, 2011, 10:15 PM
"... to fly is everything"

a warm fuzzy feeling

Hey Dale, Just caught up on RCGroups and learned of your recent success. Congratulations on your awesome triumph! Imagining your soaring and semi-soaring flights brings me a warm fuzzy feeling. Thanks, and thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures. This one really caught my eye. The prop appears as wavy lines. Is that shadow or a digital phenomena?

All the best from Dave and Judy on Maui.
Jul 17, 2011, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloOne
Chappy,

I am sure you noted that I did not really say we were getting 5.5 hp out of the P60's, just that they were 5.5 hp Pioneer chainsaw engines.

Dale
Just my sloppy 2 in the morning writing. I added that bit for the general audience and the previous discussions about 2 stroke engines. One reason I love to still fly my series one with Pioneer engines is to show off your marvelous design flying on only about 10 HP. People often ask about the engines and when I tell them the plane was flying on 10 HP they almost always assume that's per engine. When I point out that that is in fact the total combined power of both engines, their eyes tend to start to roll back in their heads...

I guess we'll have to wait for Winter to get some test data what with all your soaring flights! (I'm just grousing because I'm so lousy at soaring my Lazair.)
Jul 18, 2011, 02:13 PM
Dale,

Thank you for the reports on the conversion to electric. I hope to see you at Oshkosh where I can ask more questions :-)
Are you using an elite wing? I have a series 3 without engines that I could convert but I need to know if I need to beef up the wing.

Cheers,
Bill
Jul 18, 2011, 08:30 PM
Dale Kramer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazair3ca
Dale,

Thank you for the reports on the conversion to electric. I hope to see you at Oshkosh where I can ask more questions :-)
Are you using an elite wing? I have a series 3 without engines that I could convert but I need to know if I need to beef up the wing.

Cheers,
Bill
No need for an Elite wing, in fact I wish I would have had a Series III wing like you have to save weight.

Dale
Last edited by KiloOne; Jul 18, 2011 at 09:50 PM.
Jul 18, 2011, 09:50 PM
Dale Kramer

Worlds first electric seaplane!!!!!

Not only that, it is amphibious too.

Oh, and I ridge soared it while I was at it.

Don Kaake, a local photographer took a video. Bill Narby used Don's camera and took stills. Here are a few of his pictures. I will give a link to more pictures and his video soon.

Backing up a little, earlier today I took the wheels off the Lazair and re-installed the mono-hull amphibious float. The airport I have been flying at is about 3 miles east of our house and about 700 feet higher than the lake. I wanted to fly the Lazair off the grass runway and land on the water in front of our house as quickly as possible so that the batteries would still be mostly charged up. That short flight took about 7 minutes. The whole day I kept reminding myself that I must remember to retract the gear when I got over the lake, fortunately I remembered. I waited on shore for a few minutes for the people who saw the takeoff at the airport to arrive at the lake and then I got back in it to see how well the Lazair performed in water takeoffs.

The first water takeoff was straightforward and I would say it performed not quite as well as our JPX gas engines but very adequately. I spent the next 15 minutes or so just having fun around the lake and flying down the lakeshore waving at cottagers. I found that I could cruise 50 feet off the water at about 3100 rpm which is about 70 amps draw (it seemed to take 2600 rpm and 45 amps to keep me up with the wheels only Lazair) . I threw in a touch and go right in front of our house and then noticed the gusty wind at water level was smoother a couple hundred feet up and it was about 45 degrees off perpendicular to the lakeshore hill. There were also some seagulls ridge soaring the trees along the shore. Sooo, up I went and started ridge soaring the Lazair. I was not able to turn the motors off completely for very long but at about 1800 rpm I could generally maintain height. I did this for 5 minutes or so and then decided to land in order to try another water takeoff at 50% battery state of charge.

This second takeoff was much longer but mainly because it needed a new technique I had not yet figured out. Once the bow wake had come back on the side of the float and stopped I needed to give full down elevator to force the airplane to continue to accelerate. One I figured this out it was not long before I was in the air. I guess we learn something every day, or maybe I re-learned this one.

I spent another 20 minutes or so having fun again and landed when the battery was done. I have not charged them yet so I do not know exactly what was used. It took till after dark to get all things battened down and then we got hit by a thunderstorm just as we were walking up to the house.

You can see in some of the pictures how I put on a shield/cowl to cover the controller and protect it from spraying water from the float.

At this point I am thinking of flying the amphib Lazair at Oshkosh, I will keep posting as I have more info.

Dale

P.S. And as you can see the electric Lazair is so quiet I can sneak up on a flock of floating ducks.
Last edited by KiloOne; Jul 18, 2011 at 10:37 PM.
Jul 18, 2011, 10:05 PM
DS JUNKY
Congrats on your continued success, Dale! Sounds like you are having so much fun. How many hp are those JPX engines rated for?

Are the electronics/motor insulated against rain or splash up when operating on water? How does the noise level compare to a muffled 2-stroke setup?

Quick Reply