May 06, 2011, 07:36 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
I've got that same motor. If your auw is around the 20 oz. you were shooting for in post 1, you're gonna love it! I'm building a 40" ws version of 3DMon's Lil Ripper for it right now. That motor swings a 10x6 prop really well on 3s. On your Edge, it should really scream. Can't wait for a flight report. Nice work on this design! May have to do it next.
Last edited by EZglider; May 07, 2011 at 11:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 07, 2011, 12:12 PM
Bill,

You've made a lot of progress since I last check in on the thread! I'm pretty sure this will be the next foam build!

So, in your videos, are you flying at stall speed while landing our will she slow down even more?

LawMan
Last edited by the_law_man01; May 07, 2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Change email notification
May 07, 2011, 05:11 PM
Flying high
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_law_man01
Bill,

You've made a lot of progress since I last check in on the thread! I'm pretty sure this will be the next foam build!

So, in your videos, are you flying at stall speed while landing our will she slow down even more?

LawMan
LawMan, cool! I'd like to see someone else's take on this one.

I made on mistake on my V1 that I believe is contributing to the landing speed. I didn't realize until the whole thing was finished but I accidentally gave the main wing some negative incidence. To make things worse after the first video was taken I noticed the both ailerons somehow had a bit of down to them that was making it hard to slow down. I adjusted them straight for the second video and it definitely helped. You might notice I did some slower flying in that video.

I have since adjusted a bit of up to them and I can slow her down much better now, but I've fixed the incidence on the V2 and it's correct in the current plans (at least it's set at zero). I have to say it does still fly pretty good considering the negative incidence it has. We'll see soon how the V2 flies but I expect a marked improvement.

EZGlider,
Thanks for the info, it sounds like I have the right motor. I'm looking forward to seeing the new version fly! Hopefully you get a chance to build one too!
May 12, 2011, 10:55 AM
Flying high
Thread OP

Tail Feathers

For the tail feathers, I like to split skewers in half and glue them along the leading edge. This give the foam a lot more strength.

On the horizontal stab I also glue an extra support to keep it stiff.

I bent a wire into a U shape to attach the elevator control surfaces together.

On the rudder I've had problems with the "tab" at the top breaking on me. So this time I added the split skewers to the top and both sides. Hopefully it will help protect the top.

Also notice I left a piece protruding down on the leading edge to help hold it in the fuse. I also added a center support that sticks down so there is something to glue in the fuse. It will also pierce through the Horizontal stab and glue to it on the inside of the fuse.
May 12, 2011, 06:47 PM
Flying high
Thread OP
I swapped out my motor on V1 to try something else, but it's hard to say if the weather is going to let me fly this weekend. I'm putting one of these on it:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8621

It's a lower kv than what I'm using so I can get a larger prop on it. I'm curious to see how it compares to the motor I was using...I'm starting with a 10x8 that I have and I'll go form there.

Next up I'll be making the cockpit/hatch...stay tuned!
May 12, 2011, 09:31 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
sweet. still watchin.
May 13, 2011, 09:50 AM
Flying high
Thread OP
Ok, so I worked out the plans for the cockpit pieces. I originally wasn't going to as they kind of need to be customized depending on the foam used and the final thickness of the Monoblock. But I figure they are needed for reference, and they should work fins if building with rediboard and a 4" Monoblock. I'll add them to post 3 with the other plans as well.

I started on it last night and made good progress, so I should have it done and posted by the end of the weekend. the plane is coming along nicely and doesn't have too much further to go. In the meanwhile I'm playing with motors and props on the first one...but saving the new motor for V2.
May 13, 2011, 08:36 PM
Flying high
Thread OP

Cockpit/Hatch

I used a clear 2 liter bottle (Mug root beer) for my canopy.

Start by cutting it oversized and then trim it down little by little until it's right.

Use the foam side pieces that were saved earlier when cut from the fuse sides.

Glue the cockpit pieces as shown.

Add the top foam strip and continue trimming down the canopy until it fits.

A little sanding and it's pretty much done. A couple magnets in the front will hold it in. A bottom piece under the canopy will add strength to the structure and hide the electronics. But I prefer to wait until after painting to install the canopy so that will wait for later.
May 14, 2011, 07:29 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
looks good . Nice n simple.
May 16, 2011, 10:00 AM
Flying high
Thread OP

Servo Placement

Before glueing the main wing on I carved in the spot for the servos. I layers of Rediboard is the same thickness as an HXT500. So I trace around and carefully pull out 1 layer at a time until it's 3 layers deep.

I then drilled a hole to run the servo wire through. Make sure it comes out inside the hatch walls on top.

I also ran tubes for pushrod guides. Inside the fuse I added a piece for the guides to glue into which will reduce the flex. The wall also adds some structure to the tail.
May 16, 2011, 10:05 AM
Flying high
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime_8
looks good . Nice n simple.
Thanks Prime! She's coming along little by little!

With the servo placement finished, I went ahead and glued the wing and tail feathers on. Everything looks nice and straight, I think she's going to be a great flyer!
May 16, 2011, 11:25 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
great look , with easy to fallow build .

and you know it flys great .. cant go wrong .
May 17, 2011, 09:42 AM
Flying high
Thread OP
I flew my V1 last weekend and have really been getting it dialed in. The weather wasn't great so I didn't get as much time on it as I would have liked. She's been slowing down nicely and the different motor worked ok. I was doing some touch and goes, and pointing it into the wind it could sit almost stationary. I'll keep playing around with it until number 2 is ready. The motor I have for V2 should put out some good power too.
May 19, 2011, 01:07 PM
Flying high
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZglider
I've got that same motor. If your auw is around the 20 oz. you were shooting for in post 1, you're gonna love it! I'm building a 40" ws version of 3DMon's Lil Ripper for it right now. That motor swings a 10x6 prop really well on 3s. On your Edge, it should really scream. Can't wait for a flight report. Nice work on this design! May have to do it next.
EZglider,
What brand of prop are you using with your motor? Is that 10x6 a GWS or APC? I was also wondering about the amp pull with that prop? Thanks for any info.

I'm ready to do a covering over the Edge tonight. I'll be using my typical coffee filters and WBPU that I've been doing most of my planes with. Once that's done it just electronics, landing gear, and paint to finish. I do still have to make the engine compartment accessible...I may magnet the whole thing on rather than hinge like my last one but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Bill
May 19, 2011, 05:09 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Bill, I'm using a GWS 10x6. Don't have a watt meter, but according to Dr Kiwi from the "Power Systems" section, it's probably pulling about 180w. Dr Kiwi is tha MAN when it comes to helping idiots like me figure this stuff out. He's tested TONS of motor/prop combos and posted info. I can't find my post regarding this setup, but I'll try to P.M. you the info I have saved.

Quick Reply