Apr 24, 2011, 06:22 PM
BOXFUSE KING!
Flies like a dream Bill! Keep up the good work.

Albert
to remove ads between posts
Apr 25, 2011, 11:12 AM
Flying high
Thread OP

Fuse part 2

Now that the fuse pieces are together add packing tape to the outside of the back of the fuse. This will allow you to bend the foam without it splitting, the tape can be removed once the bend is in place.

Now flip it over and add score lines to the inside. I usually just use the thin edge of a metal ruler. They should spread out from a point on the tail as seen in the picture.

With the score lines in place, take a small cylinder and carefully roll some bend into the foam behind the cockpit area. Add a crease to the rear where the rudder will be.

Now glue the monoblock onto one side of the fuse. Once it's set fold the whole thing over and glue the other side. When glueing the second side you'll need to take extra care to get everything lined up so that the tail is straight. I've also added in a separate monoblock piece for the rear of the wing to sit on. We're starting to see a fuse!
Apr 27, 2011, 09:55 AM
Flying high
Thread OP

Fuse Part 3

Ok first off I've added the nose/grill pieces post three where the plans are located.

Cut out the two grill pieces. Sand the edges of the circular pieces a bit and glue it to the bottom piece.

Take a little more foam off the monoblock so the end of the nose matches the grill piece.

Glue the grill piece in place molding the foam to it's shape. then trim off excess foam.

Add a tab to the back of the tail for the bottom of the rudder. Whatever hinge material you have should work, I used an express mail envelope (the kind you can't rip).

Glue in the bottom rear fuse piece.

Now glue the top front fuse piece on. I did not add the top and bottom fuse pieces to the plans as I feel they need to be custom depending on the thickness of the monoblock, etc. I usually glue a piece on thats a bit oversizes and then draw my blade along the fuse to trim the extra. You'll also need to taper the front so that it lies down and forms to the grill.

Use the same method for the bottom piece and sand everything to shape.
Last edited by billwhit; Apr 29, 2011 at 09:27 AM.
Apr 27, 2011, 10:31 AM
Registered FFF Addict
I wondered if that wasn't how you did it. Actually those 3 pieces could be cut as one piece and save some gluing (limited by the size of your foam sheet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwhit
Now that the fuse pieces are together add packing tape to the outside of the back of the fuse. This will allow you to bend the foam without it splitting, the tape can be removed once the bend is in place.

Now flip it over and add score lines to the inside. I usually just use the thin edge of a metal ruler. They should spread out from a point on the tail as seen in the picture.

With the score lines in place, take a small cylinder and carefully roll some bend into the foam behind the cockpit area. Add a crease to the rear where the rudder will be.

Now glue the monoblock onto one side of the fuse. Once it's set fold the whole thing over and glue the other side. When glueing the second side you'll need to take extra care to get everything lined up so that the tail is straight. I've also added in a separate monoblock piece for the rear of the wing to sit on. We're starting to see a fuse!
Apr 27, 2011, 10:38 AM
Flying high
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryross
I wondered if that wasn't how you did it. Actually those 3 pieces could be cut as one piece and save some gluing (limited by the size of your foam sheet).
Yeah, that was my intent. It wasn't until I laid them out on the sheet of Rediboard that I realized they wouldn't fit. I decided to go this route rather than scale it down a bit (it was so close!). Those building with FFF shouldn't have a problem getting it as one piece.
Apr 27, 2011, 02:03 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
looks great.

looks strong too.
Apr 27, 2011, 07:26 PM
treefinder
Bill: I missed this thread til yesterday, Just now watched your second vid. Outstanding! She looks great, and flys great - point and shoot!
Apr 27, 2011, 07:32 PM
Flying high
Thread OP
Thanks Springer!

As they say...I stand on the shoulders of giants.
Apr 29, 2011, 09:32 AM
Flying high
Thread OP
I finished glueing the bottom piece on and did some sanding. I think this nose is looking pretty good! I also cut out the pieces for the other half of the wing on my V2.
May 02, 2011, 10:20 AM
Flying high
Thread OP
I had a number of good flight with the Edge this weekend, it's flying really well. The weather was super nice this weekend, so it was kind of hard to be in the basement building. I also need to get a 2 liter of soda so I have another canopy as I'm getting close to starting the cockpit. I'll be finishing the main wings and the tail feathers next.
May 05, 2011, 10:17 AM
Flying high
Thread OP

ailerons and wing caps

I noticed my wing tips getting a little beat up on my V1, so I'm using wood caps on them this time. I used craft sticks and traced the wing tip on them then cut them out. This should protect those wings tips a little better.

Next I beveled both aileron pieces and glued tabs into them then sandwiched them together.

Then I marked the tab location on the wing and cut the slots for the tabs to glue in.

Once the tabs are glued in the wings are ready to join together.
May 05, 2011, 03:50 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
love this simple wing style !
May 06, 2011, 01:28 PM
Flying high
Thread OP
Yes, it's easy to make and strong!

I received a new motor I ordered that I'm going to try on the V2. This is it here:

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...8&productname=

Should be interesting to see how it performs. I also need to buy a 2 liter of soda and get drinking so I can get started on the canopy, lol.
May 06, 2011, 02:06 PM
treefinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwhit
Thanks Springer!

As they say...I stand on the shoulders of giants.
'

Careful, you're standing on the shoulders of Geezers! (at least one! ) We're not as strong as we once were...
May 06, 2011, 07:12 PM
Flying high
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
'

Careful, you're standing on the shoulders of Geezers! (at least one! ) We're not as strong as we once were...
Ha! Well, we're all getting older Springer...and with age comes wisdom, right?

Here's a shot of my V2 dry fit together. I think the nose is coming out a little better on this one. I still have to figure out if I'm going to do the same paint scheme or something else. I really like the way the last one came out...

Quick Reply