Apr 19, 2011, 12:00 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
well she came to work proper sort. lol
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2011, 07:14 PM
BOXFUSE KING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwhit
I got out on Sunday and flew the edge 540. It flew really well and I even have a maiden video of it. Unfortunately my camera man had too much coffee in the morning and the video is a little shakier than I'd like. I'll get a better video soon as I've ironed a few things out too. This was the only flight I got in on Sunday because the bolts holding on the x mount came loose. I've CA'd them on so hopefully it wont be a problem again.

I just got out today and flew 3 packs on it, but no camera man. The weather was really nice with just a slight breeze and the Edge540 was flying great! It looks really good int he air too. In the video I was flying with a 3 cell 1300 mAh battery and the total weight is 23 oz. Today I used some 30c 3 cell 1000 mAhs so save some weight.
AWESOME JOB! Bill. I enjoyed that flight vid. Keep up the good work bro. Nice flyi'n.

ALBRT
Apr 20, 2011, 03:52 PM
Flying high
Thread OP
Thanks guys! I'm really happy with the 540 so far but I need more stick time!

I've started a fresh monoblock so that I can post the steps on putting the fuse together as asked. I should be able to get some stuff posted within a few days. I really felt like the whole thing went together pretty easily.

Today I printed up some Red Bull stickers for my v1 so it's getting pretty close to finished. Woot!
Apr 20, 2011, 05:44 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Bill, Looks like you have a winner there. Nice hammerhead and I also liked that tumble. Looks to be a very capable flyer. Thanks for the video.
Apr 21, 2011, 10:21 PM
Flying high
Thread OP
I appreciate the kind words Eagle34, I think your going to like my finishing touches!

Looks like we're going to get some good weather tomorrow so I'm going to meet up with my flying biddies at lunch. This motivated me to put the finishing touches on my Edge. I had three nice flights on it Monday with the blue/silver, but I finally sat down tonight ad finished her off. We recently got a cutter at work so I was able to use it to cut out my decals.

I've been working towards the steps on making the fuse as well and hope to have it up soon. Happy flying!
Last edited by billwhit; Apr 21, 2011 at 10:31 PM.
Apr 22, 2011, 02:37 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Looks great Bill. What paint did you use? That blue looks so good with the metalic sheen to it.

BTW Did you know that Kirby test flys all the full size 540's from the factory?
Apr 22, 2011, 03:30 PM
Flying high
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle34
Looks great Bill. What paint did you use? That blue looks so good with the metalic sheen to it.

BTW Did you know that Kirby test flys all the full size 540's from the factory?
I did not know that...cool!

I really like how the blue came out too and it really shines in the sun! I just used Rustolium spray paint from Lowes...it was the only one that was metallic blue. I've been covering all my planes with polycrilic and coffee filters which give a nice surface to paint and protects the foam so you can pretty much use anything.

I just got back from meeting up with my flying buddies at lunch. I took the 540 up and she was flying great! It really looks good in the air with the decals and has plenty of power for my tastes although I still want to play with props a bit. I'm calling this one a success.
Apr 22, 2011, 05:48 PM
BOXFUSE KING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwhit
I appreciate the kind words Eagle34, I think your going to like my finishing touches!

Looks like we're going to get some good weather tomorrow so I'm going to meet up with my flying biddies at lunch. This motivated me to put the finishing touches on my Edge. I had three nice flights on it Monday with the blue/silver, but I finally sat down tonight ad finished her off. We recently got a cutter at work so I was able to use it to cut out my decals.

I've been working towards the steps on making the fuse as well and hope to have it up soon. Happy flying!
DAMN! That's a killer EDGE! awesome job on the plane Bill. Looks like a store bought plane. ....looks way better than banana hobby and it doesn't fly like a monkey! I'm so BAD, just kidding BH.

ALBRT
Apr 23, 2011, 12:27 PM
Flying high
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronikpilot
DAMN! That's a killer EDGE! awesome job on the plane Bill. Looks like a store bought plane. ....looks way better than banana hobby and it doesn't fly like a monkey! I'm so BAD, just kidding BH.

ALBRT
Lol...I'm not saying a word!

The weather looks great today, I plan on taking her out soon and should come back with video.
Apr 23, 2011, 07:23 PM
Flying high
Thread OP
I've got some fresh video from today's flying, the weather is great. So...I've noticed a rattling sound and assumed it was the landing gear. Then when I was going to make an adjustment to the I looked at the engine and notice that a few magnets were loose. When I got home I opened it up and about half the magnets were loose...yikes! I'm really surprised that the motor worked as well as it did. I've re glued in the magnets as well as added some glue to the ones that didn't come loose and it sounds much better.

Anyway, I still got a decent video. The plane is very maneuverable and fun the fly. I think with a few more tweaks it will be there. I posted some screenshots form the video I liked as well.

(2 min 36 sec)
Apr 23, 2011, 11:23 PM
Flying high
Thread OP
I did a few more tweaks and it's flying even better now. Went back to the park for a few more flights. The motors a lot more quiet now too!

(2 min 32 sec)
Apr 24, 2011, 02:53 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
sweet.
Apr 24, 2011, 12:52 PM
Flying high
Thread OP
I really love how this plane looks and flies! I'm going to go ahead and build anther one so that I can have a better build log to follow for anyone wanting to build one. I've also went back and edited the first post to better reflect where this project is at. Since my build instructions will be spread out a bit I'm going to update that first post with links to the build posts. Hopefully that will make it easy for anyone interested in building.
Apr 24, 2011, 01:47 PM
Flying high
Thread OP

Monoblock construction

Here are some shots of the monoblock I've made for my second build. One of the cool things about using a monoblock is that it can be adapted and customized.

I try to use scrap foam I've found when I can. For this build I had some 1" eps foam so I cut 4 monoblock profiles. Two pieces of 2 inch foam could be used as in my first build as well.

You can see on the top/front I cut them center two a bit shorter. This will be where the ESC will sit and also where cool air can enter the fuse. I also carved a spot for a battery in the back over the wing saddle. One my first build the batter sits on the wing for the CoG, but I wanted a spot to be able to put the battery forward just in case I need to. I didn't extent the wing saddle the entire way on this monoblock pieces, but I will add another block under the rear of the wing.

Also note how I trimmed off the corners of the front of the block. This will help for the foam for the rounded front cowling area.
Apr 24, 2011, 02:07 PM
Flying high
Thread OP

Fuse build part 1

Before building the fuse the two sides and top read piece need to be glued together. If using blue FFF you might be able to make them as one piece, but unfortunately they don't fit together as one piece when using the 20x30" Rediboard.

Before glueing draw a line from the LE of the wing profile straight up, and one near the trailing edge following the back cockpit line (see photos). Cut this piece out of both fuse sides and save them for later (they will be used for the removable top hatch).

I glue mine together by first putting a piece of tape along the edge to be glued. Then I hold it back and add a bead of quick set Guerilla glue. Then I butt the edges together and tape the other side.

Quick Reply