Apr 11, 2011, 10:46 AM
Flying high
Thread OP
Thanks Law Man! I would love to see someone else building this!

I got the edge540 to the point of being ready for a maiden on Saturday and even got it out for a few. She was squirrely at first but moving the CoG forward a touch helped. It was very encouraging and I think she'll be a great flier, unfortunately Sunday's weather didn't allow for another try.

Something was a little strange even after I adjusted the CoG. When I checked the motor there was too much play for me to be comfortable so I put her down for the day. I couldn't tell if the play was because the monoblock foam was allowing the stick to move or if it was just the nature of that type of mount. Just to be safe I went ahead a scrapped it for a firewall mount and now there is no play in it. Of course that meant some minor surgery on the nose and now I have a hatch to access the motor. It shouldn't be too noticeable once it's painted but if I rebuild I may have to find another solution.

At this point I mainly just have to do landing gear and then paint it. I have some old landing gear from a RTF with wheel pants that I may try to use, I'll have to see how they work. One I get the landing gear on I'll switch out the prop saver for a collet as well.
Last edited by billwhit; Apr 11, 2011 at 11:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2011, 02:38 PM
Old Prop Buster

Looks Great!

The airfoil on the side of the plans is not correct, but I used it as a guide and traced around my final wing to get it correct.[/QUOTE]

Bill:
I am about 3 builds away from this or a Extra 300. I am not sure what you mean by the above statement. Do you mean the opening in the fuselage that the wing goes through? Did you glue 2 pieces of 2 inch foam together to get the 4 inch width on the monoblock that you have on the plans?
Thanks
Gary
Apr 11, 2011, 08:42 PM
Flying high
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dumb Thumb
Do you mean the opening in the fuselage that the wing goes through?
Gary,
Yes, that's exactly what I was saying...the hole you cut in the side of the fuselage is for placement but needs to be redrawn to match your wing. I'll post some instructions within a couple of days to show how I made the wing. Once I do that I'll update the plans to match.

And yes to the other question, the monoblock is two pieces of 2".

Hopefully the weather will get better soon and I can get some flying and video of it.

Bill
Apr 11, 2011, 09:41 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
looks great Bill.

Scott
Apr 15, 2011, 03:26 PM
Flying high
Thread OP
Thanks Scott!

I stopped by the store at lunch and got some paint for it. I'm going to go with a Red Bull color scheme, although I haven't decided if I'll do logos.

They say it will be nice on Sunday, so hopefully I can get her in the air! After messing with the wheel pants for a while I think I decided to go without the. I'll just do standard landing gear for now...and maybe revisit the wheel pants later.

Woot!
Apr 15, 2011, 05:08 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Unless I am missing something the plan doesn't look like the fuse build. I think you should do the fuse again to show us how you came up with the fuse you got from the plan.
Apr 15, 2011, 05:14 PM
Flying high
Thread OP
No problem Larry, I'll do that. I should have a bit of time this weekend as it's calling for rain tomorrow. I'm also going to show how I made the wing. I guess I got ahead of myself and started building before I thought about snapping pictures and wasn't sure if there would be interest in the design.
Apr 15, 2011, 07:40 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
i forget pics all the time, get excited building .

mainly i get my pics while i wait for parts to glue in steps .. lol
Apr 16, 2011, 12:21 PM
Flying high
Thread OP

Wing template

Here is the template for the wing parts. The first page is the template for parts and the second page shows placement. I will be posting the build pictures for it shortly.
Apr 16, 2011, 01:27 PM
Flying high
Thread OP

Wing construction

Here are the steps I used to make my wings. Please let me know if you have any questions.

1. Trace out wing pieces. Mirror the main wing with .5" in-between.

2. Packing tape over the leading edge and top of the wing. This will prevent the foam from splitting when folded.

3. Mark the leading edge on the other side of the wing and score it (I used a flat head screwdriver to score).

4. Turn the wing back over and do a tight fold on the leading edge. The packing tape should prevent the foam from breaking.

5. Open wing and glue first stack piece .5" down from leading edge (I used foam safe CA). If using a skewer for strength, cut a groove for it before glueing the piece down.

6. Glue the skewer into the groove. I used quick set Guerilla glue.

7. Laver the next two stack pieces .25" down each. Add CA to the leading edge areas and fold overtop of wing keeping everything snug.

8. Flip over wing and trip access foam.

9. Once everything is set packing tape can be removed and the foam sanded. I chose to leave a piece of packing tape across the leading edge.
Apr 16, 2011, 06:39 PM
Flying high
Thread OP
Ok, well, I'm getting pretty close to finished on this first build. I've got the landing gear installed, the cockpit finished, and even got some paint on it. I have to say I'm pretty happy with how it's coming out. I hope we get some decent weather tomorrow so I can get it in the air!
Apr 16, 2011, 07:59 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
hot.
great looking
Apr 18, 2011, 07:17 PM
Flying high
Thread OP
I got out on Sunday and flew the edge 540. It flew really well and I even have a maiden video of it. Unfortunately my camera man had too much coffee in the morning and the video is a little shakier than I'd like. I'll get a better video soon as I've ironed a few things out too. This was the only flight I got in on Sunday because the bolts holding on the x mount came loose. I've CA'd them on so hopefully it wont be a problem again.

I just got out today and flew 3 packs on it, but no camera man. The weather was really nice with just a slight breeze and the Edge540 was flying great! It looks really good int he air too. In the video I was flying with a 3 cell 1300 mAh battery and the total weight is 23 oz. Today I used some 30c 3 cell 1000 mAhs so save some weight.

(2 min 15 sec)
Last edited by billwhit; Apr 18, 2011 at 07:27 PM.
Apr 18, 2011, 09:22 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
sweet ripper there .

looks good for hot-doggin' n fancy flyin' you were doin'.
Apr 19, 2011, 09:41 AM
Flying high
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime_8
sweet ripper there .

looks good for hot-doggin' n fancy flyin' you were doin'.
Lol, well, that's what she's for!

Quick Reply