Jul 31, 2012, 12:34 PM
I did my fifth and sixth flights a couple of days ago. I had a few spectators with me and finally got my brother shoot a little video.

Hyperion Extra 330SC 35e (2 min 55 sec)

Steve
Thank you! I don't think I ran into any problems during the build.
The manual said that it was OK to glue the tail with CA if you were going to fly electric and that's what I did. Just a couple drops of thin CA to tack it in place and check alignment then I gobbed on both medium and thick CA to fill where needed. I've tugged on the stabilizer quite a bit and it seems to hold up fine.
Only problem with CA is that it easily gets messy. I've been doing a bit of careful cleaning with CA remover to remove fingerprints and that white "mist" that CA glues sometimes produce.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2012, 01:32 PM
aka ECAA3D
THat sure looks like it's packaged identically to my 60 EF Extra.

The wing looks pretty close too. Looks like a very nice plane.
Aug 04, 2012, 04:42 PM
Freddan, nice vid. Are you running the stock motor, and what prop? Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like it's making a deep vibration, like maybe a loose motor mount or out of balance prop. Something just doesn't sound right to me.

just finishing mine up. Will probably maiden today or tomorrow. Zero problems, as expected. Man, Hyperion really builds a nice plane, perhaps a bit heavy, but everything just falls into place.

Steve
Last edited by sgomes; Aug 04, 2012 at 04:48 PM.
Aug 04, 2012, 07:17 PM
Thanks, Steve.
Yup stock motor and 13x8 APC prop. Yes I thought so too but I just figured it was resonance from the plane itself... I'm not completely sure though.
What's weird is a static motor run on the ground produces no vibrations or ill sounds at all. I've balanced both the spinner and the prop and both tips of the prop tracks nicely. If the motor was just a hair loose I'd probably know because my spinner only has the slightes gap to the cowling so the cowling would probably get scratched up front which it doesn't.

Hope your maiden will be as fun as mine was!
Aug 06, 2012, 04:14 PM
Well, unfortunately, I won't be doing the maiden. The motor has a short can, and won't work without an extended motor mount or long standoffs. I had no idea how much space there was between the motor mount and the edge of the cowl. So, I guess I'm going to try selling it. Very disappointed.

She's a beauty!!

Thanks for all your help, and good luck with yours.

Steve
Aug 06, 2012, 05:48 PM
Thread OP
See post #8...if there is a Lowes nearby you might be able to pick up the spacers...
Aug 06, 2012, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I have standoffs, but the blind nuts are M3 and I would need at least 25mm. So, that puts the motor way out there on four long spindly M3 screws. Not real comfortable with that.

I think this plane was designed with a long-can motor in mind. The one that came with it was long, but there are inherent problems with long motors and gyroscopic forces.

But, thanks anyway.

Steve
Aug 07, 2012, 01:40 AM
That's too bad Steve. I love this plane with the stock motor.

This plane surprised me in a few different ways. I've flown a few balsa planes before but they were smaller and the last few years I've been playing around with foam planes alot.

I did a comparison by flying the ParkZone Extra 300 first, and after 3 packs brought out the Hyperion Extra. There where two big differences. First precision. It's way more precise in every axis. Everything looks and feels much more controlled and sturdy.
The other big difference was how it handled the wind. My ParkZone Extra gets tossed around quite a bit in the wind even though it's fairly heavy, but the Hyperion Extra wasn't at all as much affected and the effect of the wind was much more easily countered with the Hyperion.
Aug 07, 2012, 04:40 AM
Well, I decided to go ahead and put my small motor in it using 25mm nylon standoffs. It's 40g lighter than yours, but it's pretty strong - Motrolfly 2820-575, and I'll be running it with a 14x8 on 5s. During static testing it pulled 3.6kg, and with my AUW of 1575g I'm achieving better than 2 to 1 thrust to weight ratio; so, it ought to do okay.

Yes, I can remember making the transition from foam to balsa and being shocked at both the precision and wind penetration. It was so nice to put the plane on a heading and have it pretty much remain on THAT heading rather have it go off in another.

Btw, can you tell me what your plane weighs with the battery in it. I am still considering getting another motor, and I imagine my light setup will be quite a bit more floaty than yours.

So, if I can get away, I'll try to put it up this morning. I'll keep you posted.

Steve
Aug 07, 2012, 06:29 AM
That sounds great. That sounds like plenty of thrust to me!

I'm afraid I can't weigh mine at the moment. My digital kitchen scale hit the floor a while back and is now producing weird measurements so I don't want to mislead you by trying. Sorry.

However, I remembered that someone else mentioned their AUW earlier in this thread so I did a search and found this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalusrobert
Weight
The published flying weight range is 1300g to 1600g My AUW is 1636g/3.6 lbs. I don't see how the 1300g weight is even remotely possible! Here is a list of added weight due to my equipment:

IceLite 75A instead of Atlas 60A = +3g
Metal geared servos = +4g
2650 FlightMax (313 actual) instead of Hyperion 2600 VX (273 published) = +40g

Total = 47g/1.7 oz heavier than recommended set-up.
Aug 07, 2012, 09:57 AM
Well, not so good. The set up was amazing, but in the middle of trimming, something broke and it nosed straight in. Not sure what happened, because I was low at the time bringing it back to me and it felt like I lost the elevator, but it happened so fast that I can't be sure. Actually, I was amazed at how it withstood the impact - a testament to Hyperion; but, I don't think I'll try to rebuild.

Kinda bummed right now, but I'll look into it in a day or so.

Thanks so much for keeping in touch. It's been good to have someone to progress with, and good luck with yours.

I am ready to start on my Hyperion 58" Yak55, or at least I WAS ready to start. I sure hope I can figure out what went wrong on the Extra.

Thanks again.

Steve
Aug 08, 2012, 01:18 AM
Oh crap, I'm sorry to hear that!

I understand your disapointment and not wanting to rebuild at the moment. If you do figure out what went wrong I would be interested to hear it.

Thanks for sharing Steve.
Nov 05, 2012, 11:31 AM
I have been following this thread for a while. I like the look of this bird a lot but back then I had three planes in this size range so the boss said no. But after crashing two 50" planes in two weeks due to receivers brown out ( I was playing with enlarged rudder to increase stability at harrier, it seemed that a larger rudder overloaded the servo causing the brown out), so I was in the market looking for a replacement to use my 4s setup. Originally I was considering between 51"AJ Slick, EF Laser, and Sabre x51, but just happened to run across Allerc.com and found this beauty is on sale for $171 with Hyperion motor and FREE SHIPPING! Got the approval from my boss and placed the order right before Sandy wiped out my electricity last Monday. Guess what? the Extra was waiting at my porch on Thursday!

Finally started the build last night, to be honest. The covering is way less than desired. Spent a good hour ironing all the wrinkles out, but the silver strips on the fuse did not get along with heat. Other than the covering, I am happy with the quality of the fuse, covering films over the servo bays, control horns, horizontal slab, even the ventilation are cut at the factory. Everything is a simple drop-in. I am still waiting for new electronics but I think she will be ready for the coming weekend.
Nov 05, 2012, 12:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT
I have been following this thread for a while. I like the look of this bird a lot but back then I had three planes in this size range so the boss said no. But after crashing two 50" planes in two weeks due to receivers brown out ( I was playing with enlarged rudder to increase stability at harrier, it seemed that a larger rudder overloaded the servo causing the brown out), so I was in the market looking for a replacement to use my 4s setup. Originally I was considering between 51"AJ Slick, EF Laser, and Sabre x51, but just happened to run across Allerc.com and found this beauty is on sale for $171 with Hyperion motor and FREE SHIPPING! Got the approval from my boss and placed the order right before Sandy wiped out my electricity last Monday. Guess what? the Extra was waiting at my porch on Thursday!

Finally started the build last night, to be honest. The covering is way less than desired. Spent a good hour ironing all the wrinkles out, but the silver strips on the fuse did not get along with heat. Other than the covering, I am happy with the quality of the fuse, covering films over the servo bays, control horns, horizontal slab, even the ventilation are cut at the factory. Everything is a simple drop-in. I am still waiting for new electronics but I think she will be ready for the coming weekend.
Congratulations...anxious to hear what you think of her in the air!
Nov 08, 2012, 01:05 PM
Finished the build except the 6V UBEC which is still MIA after placing the order two weeks ago.

The build was very straight forward: One hour of ironing the covering on Sunday night, one hour for putting all the hinges in and assembling the tails while watching Monday night football, Eagles are done BTW, and then 1.5 hours to put the electrics on and testing on Tuesday night.

She is a beauty, looks different than my 3DHS or EF planes, and the stock motor seems to have same quality as a Torque, better than an Omega in my view. The funny thing is she looks smaller than a 3DHS 48"EPP Extra but with bigger wings. I have not weighted the plane yet but I think she would be floaty in the air.

The weather just gets worse everyday, raining, windy and even had some snow last night. Hopefully I can maiden her during the weekend. If the UBEC still does not arrive then, I will use the receiver pack from my EF 60" so the AUW will be a little heavier than usual.

Quick Reply