This thread is privately moderated by Alex Schauer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 04, 2011, 10:30 AM
Fabrication Extraordinaire!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Olson
If you're typing to me and my gas boats, I run RCMK's.
Ok! I have been searching Ballantine on the net and Mr. Ron Olson is attached to almost everything I find. I found one of your posts with a link to Rich Ballantine's website. When I click a ad pops up in Japanese lettering? Trying to find more info on my machine, can you steer me towards anything up to date with pics.

Another question? Are the two vent holes for the pump water to escape on the left side of my boat when running in water supposed to both shoot water or both? When I ran it yesterday water was coming out of the forward hole only...

Also what temperature should the engine be at during normal operation? I have a heat gauge to check it.
to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2011, 10:46 PM
RC boat Rock Star
We spent some time on the phone yesterday and I may have answered some of those questions. As long as you're getting water through the system and a decent flow coming out if the exits I wouldn't worry about the head temps. The mixture has ot be right but the nice thing about gas boats is pretty much like the infommercials say, set it and forget it.
I got your message on my phone last night and it looks like you fixed the water problem on the tuned pipe.
We'll have to get together some time this year and run our boats. Maybe, just maybe you can talk me into letting you drive the 'rigger!
May 05, 2011, 10:59 PM
Quote:
We spent some time on the phone yesterday and I may have answered some of those questions. As long as you're getting water through the system and a decent flow coming out if the exits I wouldn't worry about the head temps. The mixture has ot be right but the nice thing about gas boats is pretty much like the infommercials say, set it and forget it.
I got your message on my phone last night and it looks like you fixed the water problem on the tuned pipe.
We'll have to get together some time this year and run our boats. Maybe, just maybe you can talk me into letting you drive the 'rigger!
Thank you for all the helpful information, you know your stuff! The tuned pipe had moved or was not set in the proper location allowing the water to go into the tuned pipe and exit out the rear. 5 minute inspect and fix for a rookie!

As far as the outrigger goes, sounds like a plan. You let me drive that Mean Green Machine I will let you fly the J-3 Cub with floats. Thanks~
May 05, 2011, 11:34 PM
RC boat Rock Star
No, you don't want that! The only part of flying planes that I have down pat is the crashing. My new local boating bud has some 1/3 scale planes plus heli's so he may give me some flying lessons this summer. He's the one that thinks that my workshop is the latest hobby shop in town that handles boats!
May 08, 2011, 09:07 AM
Here is my early Dumas kit that I have not had a chance to run yet. It is my first model Gas boat. It was an NOS kit at a hobby store. Being that I was in the USCG I had the decals made up to model it after the go fasts that the CG had for a short time.
Last edited by MKC Syd; May 08, 2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: add more info
May 08, 2011, 09:19 AM
Thread OP
Sweet!
May 08, 2011, 08:56 PM

Gas and Nitro

Go fast and turn right.
May 08, 2011, 09:59 PM
Thread OP
Nice man! Where'd u get 'em?
May 08, 2011, 10:40 PM
RC boat Rock Star
It looks like all over hte place as he's got a nice variety of boats there.
Let's see if I can guess them all.
The first one is easy, a JAE .21. The 2nd one, maybe a gas Whiplash. Third, a Y-6. Fourth, a RC Marine Designs (Phil Thomas) Super-Sport 45. Last one possibly a Dumas Hot Shot.
Let's see how I did.
May 08, 2011, 11:08 PM
Good guessing, I like that. JAE .12 and HTB 260 with Rossi Mod motor.

I got them off International Waters, Ebay and RC Universe. I race them with Twin Cities Model Boat Club.
May 09, 2011, 12:10 AM
RC boat Rock Star
I should have looked at the first shot a little better as I own 2 of them but see a few mods done. The rudder appears to be one of Mike Ecton's experiments. I should have known the HTB as if I ever went back to OB tunnels, that one would be my choice!
I had a Phil Thomas SS 45 with the "Stealth" cowl, it may be in one of my pix further back. The Whip is easier to pick out just by the way that the rear and radio box area is.
I've met in person all but one designer of the JAE projects. Martin Truex Jr. is the only one that I haven't yet but do converse with him once in a while online. I also know Brian Blazer and "Uncle" Phil Thomas. Fred Howe from Lawless is a really nice guy. When I stopped at Joe's Zippkits booth at the Toledo show I spent more time talking to Fred than Joe.
May 10, 2011, 11:10 AM
You're are right about the JAE rudder. I bought the motor, kit and hardware from Mike. I'm new to Gas and Nitro and have a lot to learn. Here's two more to test your boat knowledge. Phil Thomas is a great guy. He helped me redo a SS21 I bought the right way.
Last edited by nopryde; May 10, 2011 at 12:08 PM.
May 18, 2011, 11:22 AM
gasworx
here is a couple iv got on the go (building and developing)
May 18, 2011, 12:57 PM
Quote:
It looks like all over hte place as he's got a nice variety of boats there.
Let's see if I can guess them all.
The first one is easy, a JAE .21. The 2nd one, maybe a gas Whiplash. Third, a Y-6. Fourth, a RC Marine Designs (Phil Thomas) Super-Sport 45. Last one possibly a Dumas Hot Shot.
Let's see how I did.
Them are some nice machines Nopryde! Good educated guess's Ron, you definitely know your stuff
May 18, 2011, 10:56 PM
RC boat Rock Star
I wouldn't say that........
Look at my signature under my name, it was an inside joke. I've just been around this stuff for a while and on another site it got to be a game with us old farts trying to blow the dust off our memories to guess what members posted.
Our boat club prez has a Whiplash, I had a Phil Thomas Sport 40, seen plenty of Y-6's around but really blew it on the HTB OB tunnel, I'm ashamed of myself! I've not got 4 of the Zippkits riggers, two .12's, one .21 and the gas version, some of those shown further back in this thread.

Quick Reply