Oct 13, 2011, 10:10 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz
AH.... You are a star, thankyou. I have ordered new blades from HK but they are on backorder. Do you have links to the mas Spinner and prop, I might order as well...just in case for the future.

But..... Stud can't fly without a prop. PM on the way. J
http://budgethobbies.com.au/ContactUs.aspx

my emergency supplies LHS is Budget Hobbies at Capalaba, they have a reasonable supply of MAS 2 & 3 blade props, the spinners can be a bit of hit & miss, but they will order gear in... I had to wait a couple of weeks before they had the 4.5" ally spinner to suit 3 blades

Jay, blades are on their way
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Oct 14, 2011 at 12:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2011, 03:53 AM
8s test complete!

83Amps
2450Watts

These figures are a bit high, as the motor felt a bit hot. Ran it wot for 30 sec, and I measured 61 degrees Celsius with my IR heat gun.

Propbably work ok if I can can limit myself from full power for more than 10-15 sec at a time..... yeah right

Time will tell if the motor can handle 8s...

Short clip:
P-40 on 8s4000mah (0 min 37 sec)
Oct 14, 2011, 06:12 AM
Managed to sqeeze in a test light on the way to work. A little faster and BIG verticals!

Motor still happy on 8s...(I think).

But I was hoping for even greater top speed, maybe I gain

a few knots if I drop the bomb
Oct 14, 2011, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz
I reckon the length of the runway and approach are as important as the landing surface.

If you have a good approach line and a long runway, you can get this bird to land very gently. The main tires are huge and will roll out on most fields.

I didnt really get to test the Lander retracts due to my take-off mishap. New ones are on the way so I will get to chance to retry soon enough.....but I need one more prop blade and HK are out of stock !
Not to take a cheap shot or start an arguement, but, instead, for the sake of discussion, your experience is, in fact, useful evidence. Your point about approaches etc., is well taken, but it was already used w/ the original equipment. A gentle landing is always to be sought, true, but some of us, not to mention any names(ME), perform something more accurately described as, perhaps, "An ARRIVAL".
So we, a fair percentage of the prospective buyers I suspect, really need a fairly solid and sturdy set of landing gear.
And I know, if it's too sturdy, we'll rip out the mountings as we seek the weakest link in the current chain. AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!
HELPLIS
Oct 14, 2011, 07:52 PM
Captain Coolite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELPLIS
Not to take a cheap shot or start an arguement, but, instead, for the sake of discussion, your experience is, in fact, useful evidence. Your point about approaches etc., is well taken, but it was already used w/ the original equipment. A gentle landing is always to be sought, true, but some of us, not to mention any names(ME), perform something more accurately described as, perhaps, "An ARRIVAL".
So we, a fair percentage of the prospective buyers I suspect, really need a fairly solid and sturdy set of landing gear.
And I know, if it's too sturdy, we'll rip out the mountings as we seek the weakest link in the current chain. AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!
HELPLIS
I fear that they can not possibly design gear for an electric foamy, regardless of size, which will suit everyone's stye of landing. Sometimes you just gotta try to nail that greaser, or as close as possble to it.

That said, Hobby King MUST SUPPORT THEIR Customer and have spares for their products READILY available.

have the spares on hand and when we need them, we can order them, not have to scour the earth on a quest to find a reasonable alternative.

Rob
Oct 15, 2011, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Knox
I fear that they can not possibly design gear for an electric foamy, regardless of size, which will suit everyone's stye of landing. Sometimes you just gotta try to nail that greaser, or as close as possble to it.

That said, Hobby King MUST SUPPORT THEIR Customer and have spares for their products READILY available.

have the spares on hand and when we need them, we can order them, not have to scour the earth on a quest to find a reasonable alternative.

Rob
Understood and agreed, but I can always hope.
However, from all the reports I've read, the factory installed gear is nowhere near satisfactory, even for the wizards who regularly grease 'er in, as it were.A less than perfect grease job seems to guarantee failure, but, even with perfect technique(which, take my word for it, don"t describe my efforts, and a lot of others) can still see a failure.
I know it's kind of... silly?whatever... for me to complain, I'm not one of the poor hardworking peaple who bought one and're now trying to make it work, and I'm not whining, I just want some way of assuring myself of having a solid bird if I buy one. Which of course presupposes they ever do get imported here.
And, believe me, I and others do appreciate all the effort on everybody's part, from Andy right on down the line. I just hope it leads to eventual success.
HELPLIS
Oct 15, 2011, 03:39 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
ESM is starting to convert there big retracts (for 70" plus planes ) that range from 12 to 15 lbs over to eletric at a very good price .
The rotating gear is about $170 and they are eletric !!!
They would be way over the top for the P40 , but surely they would not fail !!
I am wondering how the new retracts will hold on the soon to be released 80" P40 ???
They have those pesky arms seen in the robart 615
Oct 15, 2011, 04:08 PM
Cowboy of the skys
hobbyking wont ship to me. package is to big
Oct 15, 2011, 04:10 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
This P-40 reminds me of British cars. They were well designed and engineered but badly made on the line. It is. Great model and deserves a great reputation.

On the retracts, EPO foam and glues don't bond so well CA at least chemically bonds by acting as a solvent glue. The retract mounts will always be a weak point and subject to pulling out on a bad landing. I destroyed one of my MG Landers units by this happening. The unit got pulled free and the wire keepers did their job and pilled the wires clean out of the retract circuit board.

With this P-40, the retracts are sadly, not a life of model component. The plastic is too soft. I only had perfect landings and one of mine failed on take-off. But, the purchaser has some responsibility too in ensuring they buy a model that is suitable for their field, or suck it up when an upgrade is required.
Oct 15, 2011, 09:21 PM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Let's face it Guy's,

It looks like this model has been abandoned, because it should of be in the American W/House by now and the fact that HK has no or very limited spare parts, also we heard it from Bajora that Andy is concentrating on his EDF Jet's as shown in a recent trade show in China he did not show the P-40, we have not heard a peep from Andy or Scott since the retracts started showing their soft plastic fault. Now I really don't need to say more. It is a shame so close yet so far......

Also how do you choose a aircraft that is suitable to your field if you don't try it first or you can read forums like this, if your not one of the first "infield tester's".

I just got a AT6 Fun Fighter which folded it's wing's on maiden because the carbon spar wasn't glued in properly, who is at fault me for not checking, the manufacturer, the seller or all of us. I did buy it as a PNP so it should fly with NO PROBLEMS except for trimming of course, if I crash it because of something I did then I would suck it, but a manufacturing defect hmmmmmm........ not right hey.

My 2 cents worth.

Keep flying,

Shaun.
Oct 16, 2011, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird_cowboy
hobbyking wont ship to me. package is to big
Join the club!

Here is the responce I got from Scott. I thought he might comment on this thread. But I guess he is staying clear.

phoenix racing

Re: ?
As far as the PNF version of the P-40 is concerned, I know that there were no plans to export them until we have hold of the V2, which I have looked at is a big improvement, I would assume that the ARF won't ne sent out until we have the new version PNF, so basically, I don't really know, other departments would have a better idea, I will try and find out.

Cheers - Scott

That was Sept 28th.
TW
Oct 16, 2011, 08:00 AM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
This response does not match up to his much earlier reponse that the planes were already on the ship to the US.
Oct 16, 2011, 08:37 AM
I know, hopefully we get an update soon.
There must be something going on. Maybe they never shipped to begin with. TW
Oct 16, 2011, 10:40 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
wow , thats a good update. I guess we wont see anything until we either see or hear about a V2 or its gone for good.
I hope FMS works on a big P40 , I know they have a corsair in the works and few other giants
Oct 16, 2011, 06:39 PM
Geez That's A Big Fly
I believe it when I see it.

Scott has not mentioned it here, he is aware of this forum. So if there is going to be a V2 wouldn't ya mention it here to the people who have an interest.

Shaun.

Quick Reply