Mar 22, 2011, 10:57 AM
Thread OP
New Product

Alien Aircraft Dragon Seaplane

Hi
I was wondering if this plane could be converted to nitro?My mane question is how to rig the throttle servo.
Here is a link
http://www.alienaircraft.com/k304.htm
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2011, 11:24 AM
Old Submariner

Throttle- No Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner331
Hi
I was wondering if this plane could be converted to nitro?My mane question is how to rig the throttle servo.
Here is a link
http://www.alienaircraft.com/k304.htm
If there is not enough room in the nacell for a throttle servo, use a cable throttle control. Easily will flex 180 degrees with virtually no drag. Mount servo in the fuselage with cable running up the pylon to the engine.

Tom
Mar 22, 2011, 09:06 PM
Yeah it is convertible. A .049 engine would work fine.
For a throttle you use a throttle cable, and mount the throttle next to the aileron servo on its side and route the throttle cable up to the engine as needed. Looks like it might be a three channel setup too, so you'd only have rudder. elevator and throttle then, if that is true.
Mar 23, 2011, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
Yeah it is convertible. A .049 engine would work fine.
earlwb,
you think a Cox .049 would get it of the water?
Mar 23, 2011, 07:37 AM
Yeah, you hand launch and land on the water or grass. If you wanted to take off the water, a 09 or 10 maybe needed. But I don't know if you have the prop clearance for it though. But with its approximately 250 square inches of wing area a .049 or .06 is maybe about it for engine size. But with our lightweight RC systems the .049 may do just fine flying off the water too.
What size prop is the electric motor using for this?
Last edited by earlwb; Mar 23, 2011 at 10:14 AM.
Mar 23, 2011, 07:50 AM
that design reminds me of a ace puddle master (if i remeber the name right)
Mar 27, 2011, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
Yeah, you hand launch and land on the water or grass. If you wanted to take off the water, a 09 or 10 maybe needed. But I don't know if you have the prop clearance for it though. But with its approximately 250 square inches of wing area a .049 or .06 is maybe about it for engine size. But with our lightweight RC systems the .049 may do just fine flying off the water too.
What size prop is the electric motor using for this?
The prop is APC 7X4 for the electric power so it could use a .10<.12 engine as far as prop clearance is involved. And it does look a bit like a "Puddle master" like cmulder mentioned! If build light it should fly fine on a .049 or at most a .061 but larger engines (.10<.12 ) have better trottle.
Mar 27, 2011, 02:51 AM
Quote:
that design reminds me of a ace puddle master (if i remeber the name right)
Hmm...looks more like an electrified version of Sig's Herr Aqua-Star - Check this out!
Mar 27, 2011, 06:29 AM
IEDave, thanks for posting this link - that is exacly what I am looking for
I have an OS10LA sitting around.
Mar 27, 2011, 04:22 PM
The problem would be redisigning the pod for a fuel tank. I have a 'House Of Balsa Chea-Pass Float Plane' that I have a OS10LA in at 2 lbs and 318 sq inches it flys great. A .10 on Dragon Seaplane would be a ton of power. Prop clearance would also be fine as the plan calls for a 7x4 which is what I run on my Floatplane. If you can put a tank behind the engine you would be ok. Towers out of stock of the Cheap A** or I would suggest you get it instead.

Here is a link to the Chea Pass
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAGD2&P=0
Last edited by Bonified Wingnut; Mar 27, 2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: added a link
Mar 27, 2011, 07:04 PM
Is that Chea Pass kit laser cut? How was the kit quality?
Thanks
Mar 27, 2011, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celihopter
Is that Chea Pass kit laser cut? How was the kit quality?
Thanks
I am almost positive it was not. The kit is one of the "Cheapest" I have ever built. It actually came in a bag and not a box. The "instructions" consist of a two sided printed paper. There were no plans. I would not recommend it for a beginner. There is some video of one with an electric conversion on you tube, but it doesn't do it justice. I would give the kit quality probably a 7 or 8 out of 10. No hardware came with it. I got it because it was the exact size I wanted. Even though I have had it a couple of years, I have only flown it a few times. I use it for the snow, which it is excellent for. Takeoffs and landings are very smooth. I have yet to take off from water but I have taxied it in a small pond which is probably about 80 ft long. I don't think it would quite clear the bank in that distance so I always chopped the throttle before takeoff. To be honest I didn't like the build although it was simple. Constructing the wing I just Used a square and built it as if there was plans. The tail and the fuse are sheet. It took me longer to cover it than to build it.
This kit is definately different but perfect for a .10LA.

Here is a short video..very short and very poor.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&d=1301278574
Last edited by Bonified Wingnut; Mar 27, 2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Wrong format
Mar 27, 2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the great info. Yeah, I probably stay away from it.
Mar 29, 2011, 08:07 PM
The Dragon should fly pretty good with a .049 (TD or Norvel). The aileron servos are out in the wings so there is plenty of room on the bottom of the center section for the throttle servo. You'd just have to modify the pylon to hold the fuel tank.

Keep it light and you will be happy with the performance.

The hull is designed to optimize water performance so doing R.O.W.'s should not be a problem. It is a lot different than the Aqua Star in this respect. They may look similar, but the Dragon is a completely new model. I know because I designed them both.

Tom
Mar 30, 2011, 09:51 AM
Very nice looking plane Tom. I might look into one of the Dragons for next winter. It looks perfect for a "Go fly and get back in the house before I get cold" kinda plane. My glow powered floatplane I have to spend time fueling and starting it in the cold. An electric Dragon looks like a good snow plane.

Quick Reply