Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by KFC, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 22, 2011, 08:48 AM
KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
KFC's Avatar
Gallery

Night Flyers


So I'm a huge fan of night flying. I have a very serious LED habit and it just keeps getting worse. My latest project has been to upgrade my 8 foot flying wing night flyer from around 750 LEDs to just over 1,000 and to illuminate the props with reflective tape. This mod was so cool, I've started doing it to my 5 foot night flyers as well.

8 foot night flyer with illuminated props (0 min 46 sec)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2011, 09:13 AM
Just call me crash for short
Quick61's Avatar
So this is why Hobbypartz is sold out of LED's

Very nice, what did you put on the props for reflection?
Mar 22, 2011, 09:13 AM
KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
KFC's Avatar
It's reflective tape. I got it from a friend of mine.
Mar 22, 2011, 09:16 AM
Just call me crash for short
Quick61's Avatar
OK, I know what you used. Did you have much trouble with re-balancing the props or did it come out real close? Very nice job!
Mar 22, 2011, 09:23 AM
KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
KFC's Avatar
I couldn't get over how light the stuff was. It added less than a gram to each prop, so they remained pretty well balanced. I'm pretty happy with the way it worked out on the 8 footer, so I'm going to try and upgrade my 5 footers the same way.

FWIW, this is what the 8 footer looked like before I added the extra LEDs:
This never happened... (3 min 12 sec)
Mar 22, 2011, 09:31 AM
Wannabe Flyer
MUSTANGP51LOVE's Avatar
wow very cool just let the police know before you fly onther wise the whole county gonna be calling saying they just saw a ufo....hmm wonder if they make round flying wings haha
Mar 22, 2011, 09:34 AM
KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
KFC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSTANGP51LOVE
wow very cool just let the police know before you fly onther wise the whole county gonna be calling saying they just saw a ufo....hmm wonder if they make round flying wings haha
Yes they do: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1386754
Mar 22, 2011, 09:49 AM
Just call me crash for short
Quick61's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRazor_77
I couldn't get over how light the stuff was. It added less than a gram to each prop, so they remained pretty well balanced. I'm pretty happy with the way it worked out on the 8 footer, so I'm going to try and upgrade my 5 footers the same way.
You must of gotten a lot thinner stuff than what I was thinking of then. Wouldn't happen to have a name / source for that tape would you?
Mar 22, 2011, 09:52 AM
Wannabe Flyer
MUSTANGP51LOVE's Avatar
cool
Mar 22, 2011, 10:43 AM
KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
KFC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61
You must of gotten a lot thinner stuff than what I was thinking of then. Wouldn't happen to have a name / source for that tape would you?
It is really thin and light. I can ask my friend where he got it. He's the only source I have. He had a whole bunch of it that we were using on our heli rotor blades.
Mar 22, 2011, 03:19 PM
Sometimes it work some don't
RCSquale's Avatar
You are a star man! it is looking F...g cool dude! I love it.
Well done!!
Mar 22, 2011, 07:02 PM
Just call me crash for short
Quick61's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRazor_77
It is really thin and light. I can ask my friend where he got it. He's the only source I have. He had a whole bunch of it that we were using on our heli rotor blades.
Shiny,(no pun intended) I'll keep an eye here. Thanks

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion SEFF 2011 Night Flyers -- What are you bringing? kingsflyer SEFF 2011 92 Apr 19, 2011 11:19 PM
Help! Night flyers RLukeC07 Electric Plane Talk 2 Aug 29, 2006 03:41 PM
Any Night Flyers out there??? thechosen1one 3D Flying 16 Nov 21, 2004 08:39 AM
Night Flyers at SEFF in June??? Barry Janzen Sport Planes 1 Oct 04, 2003 10:00 AM
What about a night flyers forum? Air 1 Site Chat 0 Sep 13, 2003 12:22 AM