Thread Tools
Mar 21, 2011, 06:47 PM
Registered User
335driver's Avatar
Question

What does OPTO mean?


I was looking at an Exceed RC 80A ESC and it said 80A OPTO
(without BEC) I know that means you need a separate BEC unit wired in to provide power to rcvr & servos. Is that all OPTO means? Or is it something else. I have several Exceed RC ESC's and they seem to work for me. Anyone else use these or am I swimming against the flow?

Thanks
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 21, 2011, 07:36 PM
We want... Information!
Bruce Abbott's Avatar
OPTO is supposed to mean 'opto-coupled', where the throttle signal is coupled into the ESC via a light beam. The idea is that there is no direct electrical connection between the receiver and the business end of the ESC, therefore stopping electrical inteference from travelling down the wiring into the receiver.

However there quite a few cheap 'OPTO' ESC's available that don't have an opto-coupler, and should really just be called 'No-BEC'. For most applications these work fine. If you have a 2.4GHz radio then interference won't be a problem, and if you connect an external UBEC to the motor battery then it bypasses the opto-coupler anyway.
Mar 21, 2011, 08:48 PM
Registered User
335driver's Avatar
Thanks for the explanation, Bruce. I really had no idea what it meant?
Mar 22, 2011, 03:25 AM
Registered User
If it's a real opto ESC, you always need to use all three wires to the receiver. Don't cut the red one, like you normally do with a regular ESC, when using a separate receiver power supply.
Mar 24, 2011, 07:35 PM
Registered User
Hi Guys .. I have a Jeti JES 40 - 3P OPTO ( 6 - 10 NC ) that I used with a nicad
powered plane. My question is ... can I use it with a 3S lipo battery ? Any information
will be appreciated.

Rosie
Mar 28, 2011, 07:15 PM
Registered User
So how do you determine if you should cut the red wire on the esc.
Mar 28, 2011, 07:48 PM
We want... Information!
Bruce Abbott's Avatar
Try powering the receiver directly from the ESC (no receiver battery or external UBEC). If this works then the ESC has an internal BEC, so you should cut the red wire when using an external receiver power source.

If the receiver dosn't work directly off the ESC then it does not have an internal BEC, so you should not cut the red wire (this applies to all 'OPTO" ESC's).
Mar 28, 2011, 08:20 PM
Registered User
Opto isolator.
Mar 28, 2011, 08:26 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
rcalldaylong's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Try powering the receiver directly from the ESC (no receiver battery or external UBEC). If this works then the ESC has an internal BEC, so you should cut the red wire when using an external receiver power source.

If the receiver dosn't work directly off the ESC then it does not have an internal BEC, so you should not cut the red wire (this applies to all 'OPTO" ESC's).
I've been cutting all the red wires or at least not plug them in...(even opto ones)

if you don't cut the red wire off and it plugs into the receiver, I take it this would share the same place (plug) with the power wire from the external BEC. Is that the recommended setup???
Mar 28, 2011, 08:52 PM
We want... Information!
Bruce Abbott's Avatar
A true opto-isolated ESC will not work if you cut the red wire. It needs 5V from the receiver to power the input side of the optocoupler.

You can wire an external BEC into the ESC's servo cable, and you can even use the red wire to feed battery voltage into it (but you will have to re-route the wire to battery +ve at the ESC end). You also need to splice into the negative (black/brown) wire. Doing it this way eliminates extra wiring, and frees up an extra channel on receivers that don't have a dedicated battery port. However it may be a bit tricky to impliment.

Alternatively you can just use a Y cable, but this is bulkier and may reduce reliability (one extra connector for the power to go through). It's best to wire the UBEC directly onto one leg of the Y cable.
Dec 11, 2016, 09:20 PM
Registered User
RandallM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
OPTO is supposed to mean 'opto-coupled', where the throttle signal is coupled into the ESC via a light beam. The idea is that there is no direct electrical connection between the receiver and the business end of the ESC, therefore stopping electrical inteference from travelling down the wiring into the receiver.

However there quite a few cheap 'OPTO' ESC's available that don't have an opto-coupler, and should really just be called 'No-BEC'. For most applications these work fine. If you have a 2.4GHz radio then interference won't be a problem, and if you connect an external UBEC to the motor battery then it bypasses the opto-coupler anyway.
Bruce,

If it means optical (via a light beam) - and I'm not doubting you, then why don't any of the Escs I find out there including supposedly high end devices recommended on this forum, have a fiberoptic cable? The three servo wires are just that - copper wires. Copper does not carry photons. I'm confused.

I realize the post I"m responding to is almost 7 years old... but maybe somebody can answer this.
Dec 11, 2016, 10:32 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallM View Post
Bruce,

If it means optical (via a light beam) - and I'm not doubting you, then why don't any of the Escs I find out there including supposedly high end devices recommended on this forum, have a fiberoptic cable? The three servo wires are just that - copper wires. Copper does not carry photons. I'm confused.

I realize the post I"m responding to is almost 7 years old... but maybe somebody can answer this.
https://jaenal91.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/bb.jpg

Just because an asphalt road leads to both naval ports, doesn't mean that there is also a road in between both naval ports.

The gap in copper takes place inside the opto-coupler chip onboard the ESC. Much smaller, cheaper, and more energy efficient than fiber optic cables. Keep in mind that fiber optic is used to provide high-speed, long distance NOT noise immunity, but their inherent noise immunity provides much benefit for long distance transmission. But if all you're looking for is noise immunity, there are other cheaper, more effective solutions.

There are other types of chip-based galvanic isolators that exist too, capacitive, microscopic transformers , and RF transmission that happens over chip-scale distances.
Last edited by DKNguyen; Dec 11, 2016 at 11:12 PM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Reynolds Number - what does it mean ? knlever Modeling Science 18 Oct 01, 2010 11:22 AM
Discussion Hyperion EOS - What Does It Mean Acrow Batteries and Chargers 4 Aug 31, 2010 04:26 AM
Discussion What does "opto" and "dual conversion" really mean? Buzz Bomb Electric Motor Design and Construction 2 May 27, 2006 02:58 AM
What does OPTO in an ESC mean??? aireze Power Systems 12 Dec 28, 2002 06:17 PM