Mar 21, 2011, 05:54 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

New Quad Copter Airframe Kit

Greetings,

Dave from Radical RC here. I've been working on a Quad Airframe kit and related upgrades. I've still got a few items to design to fill out the line. What I am looking to do is provide a nice inexpensive kit that can be setup in many ways to suit many needs. I'm shooting for a basic airframe kit that's under $20, add your own tubes to make any diameter you want.

If you have some extra equipment around looking for an airframe to go into contact me. I'll have samples soon and would like to get a few of them out there. I'd like to see some photo's up and some helpful commentary so I can develop a nice line of inexpensive parts.

I'll have the kit at Toledo. I won't be publishing any photo's until after Toledo as it's one of my neato things I'm saving back for the show.

Note, this is airframe only, I don't stock the control circuit for Quads yet.

Dave
to remove ads between posts
Mar 21, 2011, 06:02 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Awesome, I've already been getting my props from you and will probably be needing some more pretty soon, so I will have to put a frame in my basket as well when it's in stock.
Mar 21, 2011, 06:35 PM
Registerer Used
Subscribed... Always good to see some new concepts coming around
Mar 21, 2011, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalrc
I'll have the kit at Toledo.Dave
Are you going to have a booth on the main floor?
Mar 22, 2011, 07:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzme
Are you going to have a booth on the main floor?
Oh yes, I'm (very appropriately) next to the Nutty Bar booth. Back wall of show, first isle left of center. I'm never far from the ice cream. ;-)

Foam and Tape came by the shop today around noon, picked up the final version and was back by 5:30 and we were flying it. It will be our display model at the show so you can see how it builds up. Hopefully he'll get a video up soon. He's going to bring a Go-Pro by and I'll be making a mount for that as well.

You should see it hanging over the booth with our row of balsa kits.

Parts on the list so far that will be available after the basic kit include fin mounts, post style landing gear mounts, camera mount, accessory mounting tabs, heli style landing gear mounts and hoop bumper kit.

Just like our many Slow stick upgrades, almost anything you guys can think of that will be a cool part, we're going to make it. My plan is you can configure anything you want. At this time we make 50+ custom parts for Slow Sticks. So, we are not messing around here.

I've got other parts on the drawing board for next few months like Tri-Hex and T airframes.

Dave
Mar 24, 2011, 03:21 PM
Thread OP
We just finished packing the first batch. Ready to go.

Dave
Mar 24, 2011, 05:42 PM
Multirotor Builder!!!!!
do you have a pic of the frame.
Mar 24, 2011, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3wins
do you have a pic of the frame.

He probably does but as he said in his first post:

Quote:
I won't be publishing any photo's until after Toledo as it's one of my neato things I'm saving back for the show.
Not even a blurry one to wet our appetites?

- Jeff
Mar 24, 2011, 06:27 PM
Thread OP
Hmmmmmmm, you tempt me. I've not taken them out of the camera yet. I'll look friday and see if there is a particularlly terrible one. ;-)

Actually, I think we have some in flight photo's that would be nice. Good way to show it's not vapor ware. I'll see about one on Friday.

Just finished engineering the mounting kit for heli landing gear. Will hold up to .30 size gear. These parts should be available just before or after Toledo.

Dave
Mar 24, 2011, 06:30 PM
Im interested in seeing this, what is the estimated weight of the frame?
Id be using it for the Gaui 330 power setup. Will it be light enough for this?
Mar 24, 2011, 10:58 PM
Retardedly intelligent
here are some pics Dave gave me permission to slap them up for ya. No video yet though. Yesterday my friend tried to jump it yesterday with his rc car you can guess how that ended... Fortunately the frame holds up really well to a 2.5lb car doing 30mph landing on top of it. got it on video (gopro) but I need more inflight stuff to make a worth watching vid. I did mess with the setup a bit more though, In the pics you can see the battery tray, but I had to move the lipo all the way aft to compensate for the weight of the cam. The KFC bowl does make a good water proof case though!

Specs:
motors: Hextronic 24gram "blue wonder" motors, they're the 1300kv variety
ESC's: mystery 12 amps
controller unit: KKmulticopter "blue board"
Radio: Hitec aurora 9
Batt: TP 2200 3S(or any 2200)
Mar 25, 2011, 07:03 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape
here are some pics Dave gave me permission to slap them up for ya. No video yet though. Yesterday my friend tried to jump it yesterday with his rc car you can guess how that ended... Fortunately the frame holds up really well to a 2.5lb car doing 30mph landing on top of it. got it on video (gopro) but I need more inflight stuff to make a worth watching vid. I did mess with the setup a bit more though, In the pics you can see the battery tray, but I had to move the lipo all the way aft to compensate for the weight of the cam. The KFC bowl does make a good water proof case though!

Specs:
motors: Hextronic 24gram "blue wonder" motors, they're the 1300kv variety
ESC's: mystery 12 amps
controller unit: KKmulticopter "blue board"
Radio: Hitec aurora 9
Batt: TP 2200 3S(or any 2200)
wood?
wrong choice of motors for this setup. VERY low torque especially for carrying payloads etc. i have used these for a couple years in smaller quads and one larger but you want something with lower kv or lower torque in general.
Mar 25, 2011, 09:38 AM
Thread OP
Quad Adict, I don't own the electronics. Foam and Tape did. He was nice enough to get it flying and let me have a go at the sticks. I agree, a lower KV motor would be better here. But, I did not expect him to invest in a round of motors for the project. The point of the thread is not to imply what a perfect setup is. I'm just showing an airframe kit. Very appreciative of his help.

When I get a chance, I'll design a central hanging camera mount for his Go-Pro.

Ok, here are some in flight photo's.

Dave
Mar 25, 2011, 09:41 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalrc
Quad Adict, I don't own the electronics. Foam and Tape did. He was nice enough to get it flying and let me have a go at the sticks. I agree, a lower KV motor would be better here. But, I did not expect him to invest in a round of motors for the project. The point of the thread is not to imply what a perfect setup is. I'm just showing an airframe kit. Very appreciative of his help.

When I get a chance, I'll design a central hanging camera mount for his Go-Pro.

Ok, here are some in flight photo's.

Dave
no problem, I personally steer away from wood
Mar 25, 2011, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad_Addict
no problem, I personally steer away from wood
Me also, $120 frame and a motor unpluged @ 40ft. The only thing saved 1 wood arm.

Quick Reply