Mar 22, 2011, 01:50 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy
Both of the guys posting on this thread "helping" you are well known defenders of Spektrum brand. Charlie
Has nothing to do with TRYING TO HELP. If you think helping is telling the guy his system is crap and change brands then thats up to you. I am just trying to help a fellow member, fellow brand owner and fellow hobbiest. Now whats wrong with that?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2011, 02:14 PM
Just to put some perspective on the idea that changing brands will solve your problems:

I've flown with a Spektrum DX7 for 3 years. I fly 5-6 days a week for about half of the year and then 1 or 2 days a week indoors the rest of the year. all told maybe 4000-5000 flights.

Zero failures that I believe to be radio-related. (And I've seen thousands of other people flying the same stuff.)

On the other hand, we had someone bring out his new Aurora 9 and he lost control and totaled his plane on the first flight. He did it again with the second plane. He sent everything in and it came back declared fine. He flew his third plane and it crashed the same way.

Another member with a Futaba FASST system, crashed one plane, sent everything in, came back declared as fine. Spent about 3 hours range checking at the field from every conceivable direction and when other people flying etc. Seemed fine so he put his plane up, got 3/4 of a circuit done and it locked up and spiraled in.

Based on the small number of Futaba and Hitec systems that we have around here, I would be inclined to worry a lot more about them than other brands. However, I also know that failure reports from small sample sizes aren't that enlightening.

On the other hand, some of the Chinese brands, I've never even seen flying, so zero failures there too. They must be super-reliable then!
Mar 22, 2011, 07:08 PM
Thread OP
As I said before, it's strange the 6200's are the only receiver I have had issues with. I fly every day that i can (weather permitting) but in Mich it's a ya never know. My flying field is not a club. It is private farmland that I lease. It is about 300' x 400' bare dirt ultra smooth landing strip inside an 80 acre field. Lots of room with no obstructions.All I have to do is walk across the road to fly. A 200' journey!!If you look at my blog page you can see many of my planes and all but a very few are flown with Spektrum receivers and I have never had a problem with them. This last aircraft was assembled meticulasly. Everything was wrapped, wires bundled and tie wrapped and fastened securely to the plane. There was no way any of the wires came loose including the satellite Rx. It was torn loose from the force of the impact. Look at the bark missing from the tree it hit!!! I have never had even a glitch with a AR500, 6110,6110e,AR7000 or any of the microlite receivers that come in the bind n fly micros. I believe that cheap receivers are just that. As for saying the chinese brands are junk, look at the back of your Spektrums and they say made in China> I worked as a certified broadband communications technician for 14 years (radio and television broadcast signals) so I would say I have better than average understanding of radio signals. I am saying that there is some kind of issue with the DX7 TX & AR6200 Rx combination, or that the 6200's period have a problem.Even though I live in MI I still fly year round, see photo
Mar 22, 2011, 07:56 PM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGill
As I said before, it's strange the 6200's are the only receiver I have had issues with. I fly every day that i can (weather permitting) but in Mich it's a ya never know. My flying field is not a club. It is private farmland that I lease. It is about 300' x 400' bare dirt ultra smooth landing strip inside an 80 acre field. Lots of room with no obstructions.All I have to do is walk across the road to fly. A 200' journey!!If you look at my blog page you can see many of my planes and all but a very few are flown with Spektrum receivers and I have never had a problem with them. This last aircraft was assembled meticulasly. Everything was wrapped, wires bundled and tie wrapped and fastened securely to the plane. There was no way any of the wires came loose including the satellite Rx. It was torn loose from the force of the impact. Look at the bark missing from the tree it hit!!! I have never had even a glitch with a AR500, 6110,6110e,AR7000 or any of the microlite receivers that come in the bind n fly micros. I believe that cheap receivers are just that. As for saying the chinese brands are junk, look at the back of your Spektrums and they say made in China> I worked as a certified broadband communications technician for 14 years (radio and television broadcast signals) so I would say I have better than average understanding of radio signals. I am saying that there is some kind of issue with the DX7 TX & AR6200 Rx combination, or that the 6200's period have a problem.Even though I live in MI I still fly year round, see photo
Where did you purchase that AR62000?

I am sure you know this but, I am posting it just in case!

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=263424
Mar 22, 2011, 11:13 PM
Thread OP
I bought it from my local hobby shop where I have done business with since I started RC. Bought my first plane from them. Never bought one from ebay. Only my lhs and hobbyzone or Horizon Hobby. I'm just so frikin depressed cause I don't have the money to replace it.
Mar 23, 2011, 05:30 AM
Yes it is very sad to lose a model more so when you had to work hard to get it. I know been there and got it on video to remind me of my mistakes (in my case). But at the end of the day I knew that this was part of the hobby.

With my ground stuff if something goes wrong I can just walk over and pick it up BUT I knew full well getting into planes that if something happens its going to come down and that wont be fun.

When you crash and it ends up like in you're situation it is very hard to fine the cause.

Sorry for your lost and hope it works out for you in the end.
Mar 24, 2011, 12:43 PM
Thread OP
Thank you sir (freechip)! I don't plan on quitting the hobby anytime soon. Just a hard pill to swallow. Still got a few planes to fly and hopefully weather will improve soon.
Mar 24, 2011, 12:58 PM
I am in the same situation where I have a new radio but some many complaints about it that its affecting me wanting to use it even if all my flights and testing have been good. I have one expensive model and I have yet to fly her because of weather but I am going to be very vigiliant before taking to the sky BUT it does happen.

If it does I too will be upset BUT then when you get over it you can look forward to getting a new model

If the wife lets me if it does happen (Knock on wood it wont)
Mar 24, 2011, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
I am planning to build a Great Planes Waco when they become available in late May. I have no Idea of a Rx I want to use in it as it is going to be a very expensive plane but it really only needs 4 ch control.
Mar 25, 2011, 01:28 PM
The GP Waco looks beautiful. I would think that nothing less than an AR7000 for that model (7 servos in the Waco) If you stay with Spektrum, I would really consider the DSMX upgrade for your DX7and a new AR7000 that was DSMX. The bit about DSMX being only for those who fly at large events, that comes under the same heading as the stuff the guy spreads on the fields that you fly from. I also fly on leased farmland. Makes your eyes water when you're downwind of the truck spreading Moo Goo.
Pete
Mar 26, 2011, 10:34 AM
Thread OP
I spoke directly with Horizon about the Dsmx upgrade for my DX7 $85 + shipping and they said the same thing that I only needed it for flying at large events. I have to wonder if thats the case then why are they no longer making the DSM2 modules? Also seems pretty pricey upgrade that should be free in my opinion!!!
Mar 26, 2011, 10:44 AM
Everything is still DSM2 compatible, so we ARE "making the DSM2 modules." DSM2 isn't going away. DSMX is an option for those who want it, just like getting Cruise Control in a car.

Andy
Mar 26, 2011, 05:20 PM

They are all JUNK!

Got you beat, I lost 4 planes last year. Different fields some elec. one 50cc gas. Fail safes set recommendations followed. 6100e, 6200, 7000, all crap. I will be bringing something new home from Toledo, leaning to Aurora 9. I will never ever fly Junktrum again. IMHO
Mar 26, 2011, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast 50
Got you beat, I lost 4 planes last year. Different fields some elec. one 50cc gas. Fail safes set recommendations followed. 6100e, 6200, 7000, all crap. I will be bringing something new home from Toledo, leaning to Aurora 9. I will never ever fly Junktrum again. IMHO
No really, tell us how you feel Why did you not expand on what happened? Just saying you lost 4 planes with 4 different rx's makes one wonder what actually happened. I have been able to trace down failures to something that I did wrong (not saying you did anything wrong) and have learned from it.. and it has made me a safer rc pilot. All my mishaps have been self inflicted

Harry
Mar 26, 2011, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGill
....by any chance is This 2.4ghz somewhere near the microwave frequency bandwith. ...
"microwave" => between 300 MHz (0.3 GHz) and 300 GHz.
Yes, 2.4 GHz (12.5cm wavelength) is within the category of "microwave".

Quick Reply