Jan 06, 2012, 08:50 AM
God is my pilot
Eflite Park 480? APC doesn't suggest that as it would be overspeed for the APC 11x4.7SF. You would risk the prop coming appart due to the high rpm of the park 480 on 3s possibly hurting someone and definately damaging the front of your plane due to vibration as it comes appart. Stick with the APC11x5.5e or if you are willing to only use full throttle in short bursts you could use an APC 12x6e or 11x7e.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2012, 08:51 AM
God is my pilot
Nice job on the covering! That will be real easy to tell top from bottom.
Jan 06, 2012, 08:53 AM
The park 480 only has 1020 kv.. isnot that a slow motor?

Thanks

Noah

order some 11.5.5e's any way, will try out differance
Last edited by Racerx4; Jan 06, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
Jan 06, 2012, 01:03 PM
Please follow JimTMich advice. The rule of thumb for slow flyer props is 65000/prop dia., or around 5900 rpm. The 480 Park will over rev that prop and it will come apart.

I love my Skyboy! It's one of my favorite planes to kick back and have some fun.

Cheers,

Nick
Last edited by Ncris; Jan 13, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Jan 06, 2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the advice! Who knows what would happen if I dident have this form! Il sick to the 11.5.5's And hope thoes work well.

Thanks

Noah
Jan 06, 2012, 01:51 PM
Your very welcome. I really appreciate all the help I get from these great people. I have been flying models from about 11 years old and RC from 23. I am 64 years old now and I can tell you that there is always more to learn, and having fellow modelers to help is just the ticket to greater understanding and enjoyment of this great hobby.
Jan 22, 2012, 09:31 PM
Last two weeks.. midterm exams and a ski trip. Between all that I had almost no sky boy time... But I have made a bit of progress, got the stab and the rudder covered,(I have almost spent more time covering this plane than building it!!!) as well as install all the servos and esc and radio and such. Im using the Hobbyking 9ch recieiver not the $5 one along with a satilite reciever. I also added a capacitor to act like an inline external bec. As well as a buzzer/lost plane finder. Not because Im going to loose my plane but it will be fun to do low passes and make beeping noise

Question:

Did you use tape or ca/cloth hinges and were? and how many?
I 3m taped the ailerons.

Im using a park 480 on a castel 54 amp esc. It is mounted fine and runs fine BUT it seems hard to turn. It is not rely stiff it is smooth but if you spin the prop by hand it dose not keep spinning? it soon stops.. Is this because the magnets are strong? is that a good thing?

Thanks

Noah

will post inside compartment pics soon
Last edited by Racerx4; Jan 22, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
Jan 22, 2012, 10:20 PM
Here is the under side click on pics for description.
question:

I found I needed 2 6 inch servo extensions.. 1 in the wing of course, then one from the reciever to the servo lead in the wing. with out the 2nd extension it was very hard to put the wing on without breaking, or moving things around in the plane. As you can see my receiver is mounted near the front of the plane, not the middle as in the manual/ partly because this bird (so I have herd is very tail heavy). is this extra extension an issue?

Thanks

Noah
Jan 23, 2012, 09:17 AM
Looking good!

I used tape for the ailerons, and robart hinges for the elevator and rudder. I think it would be best not to mount your receiver that close to the esc. Just my paranoia or old age thoughts. The servo extensions should cause no problems, I use two extensions on my receiver to the aileron extensions, so I don't have to keep unplugging them from the receiver. Arthritis prevents me from removing those connectors from the receiver and this works well for me.

Hope your exams went well, and keep up the good work, you are going to love that plane.

Nick
Jan 23, 2012, 01:06 PM
God is my pilot
If the motor turns slow, but with no physical binding, it's probably the break circuitry in the ESC. To test this theory, unplug the 3 bullit connectors between the motor and the esc. If there is any physical binding, like the shaft rubbing on the firewall, get rid it it. It's probably just the esc doing the break thing. Yes, that break thing even affects with no battery plugged in.
Jan 23, 2012, 04:29 PM
Visitor from Reality
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerx4

Im using a park 480 on a castel 54 amp esc. It is mounted fine and runs fine BUT it seems hard to turn. It is not rely stiff it is smooth but if you spin the prop by hand it dose not keep spinning? it soon stops.. Is this because the magnets are strong? is that a good thing?

Thanks

Noah
Just tried my E Flite 32 and 15 - they both exhibit a high degree of 'cogging' - where the motor appears to rotate by steps if you turn it by hand. This soon stops it rotating if you flip the prop over by hand. It's electronic in cause - goes away when the motor is driven normally by the ESC under power.

Mine are 'real' E Flite motors, not cheapish rip-offs.

D
Jan 26, 2012, 09:01 PM
Yes JimT you were so very wright!

Thanks

Noah
Jan 26, 2012, 09:15 PM
Ok.. so this is a weird question... So while I was building the sky boy I bought a parkzone t 28 trojan the bigger one. Built her in about 20 minutes went out and flew 3 packs.. then on the 4th i did a low knife edge not best idea and she hit the soft (just pored rain for 2 days) only damage was the esc came unglued and the wing mounting stuffs were ripped out along with a small crinkel and crack aft of the nose close to where the canopy rides. After 45 minutes it all back togther reinforced with plywood wing mounts and such. No damage was done to motor area light damage for the whole thing in general. Any way should or will the plane fly any different as from before?

Thanks

Noah
Jan 26, 2012, 11:11 PM
God is my pilot
Check everything over, make sure all the servo extensions are plugged in, make sure the servo horns aren't pulling out of the control surfaces, make sure no servo's are stripped or acting funny............It should be just fine, may need a little re-trimming....
Jan 27, 2012, 12:30 PM
Visitor from Reality
Hi Noah
In addition to the above, check that your repairs have not affected the CG.

A tail heavy model will be very exciting to fly, but possibly not for very long

From what I've read and heard, 2.4 Ghz receivers are pretty tough. Still shudder at the thought of a crash my model was in, back in my days in England. The model's radio - 35 Mhz gear, similar to the US's 72 meg stuff, still worked after I got the wreckage home, but I sent the RX and servos off to get a pro check-out.

Turned out the receiver main circuit board was cracked and the only thing holding the pieces together were the copper circuit lands. Probably would have worked on a pre-flight check and for maybe five minutes afterwards...

Just an idle thought.

D

Quick Reply