Mar 20, 2011, 06:53 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Thread OP
Video

Sink the Brig

Bottle brig sinks after keel flapper poked with a stick. This allows keel ballast to swing aft, pulling the stern under.

Not on video, yet, are several sinkings of Brig when rammed by a rubber band Nautilus.

Brig details (along with keel design) here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1399486
Nautilus details here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1405510
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2011, 06:37 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Thread OP

The Submarine

Nautilus sub run-by. Future videos will, hopefully, show the sub sinking the brig :-)
Apr 02, 2011, 04:41 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Thread OP

Sub and Squid

Couple videos of the sub with the new squid float.

In "Circlecruise", the sub is on a tether to make it cruise in a 60ft circumference circle. The sub is launched is a straight line, and when it reaches the end of the tether, it surfaces briefly. But it soon dives again, and completes the cruise.

In "Runpast2", the sub cruises alongside the dam; good shot of the squid. The improved dive vane mechanism works with such little friction that I could have made the squid much smaller (did not need all that squid body buoyancy).
Apr 03, 2011, 05:04 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Thread OP

Speed run

Free run (no tether) cut short when sub runs aground. Nautilus noses along, prop hitting the bottom, but, eventually, not shown on video, it catches a stick in the prop and surfaces. Looks like Beavers were active on the river back in the Fall: there's a subsurface collection of sticks in the pool above the dam. One of them tripped me up, too :-).

I show this aborted cruise so that you can get a sense of the speed of the sub, probably around 1.5 ft/sec with the squid float and the APC prop. While not excessive when compared to RC subs, rubberband Nautilus, at 100 scale mph, is still faster than a scale WW2 torpedo :-).
----------
I'm reworking the sink-the-brig trigger mechanism to allow for glancing hits by the sub. The existing trigger works fine when the sub hits the flapper squarely. But I see that glancing hits will probably be more common, especially on a moving target. There will be video of a sinking one of these days, justifying the title of this thread :-)
Last edited by Brooks; Apr 03, 2011 at 05:42 PM.
Apr 05, 2011, 09:12 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Thread OP

Brig at sea

The movie is a compilation of 4 taken before lunch: cameramen John and Brooks. I lost my good movie editor with the move from XP to Win7, alas. So the transitions between cuts are abrupt. The last cut implies the ship sank, but she really didn't :-)

movie failed to attach, beats me, sorry.
Last edited by Brooks; Apr 05, 2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: movie upload problems
Apr 06, 2011, 12:47 PM

movie, finally :-)

Uploaded ok from John's computer :-)
Apr 06, 2011, 09:30 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Thread OP

A foundering event

The brig is taken aback, but recovers. Then, almost immediately afterwards, a 2nd aback event occurrs, the transom is driven under, and the brig founders. In the next section, you can see that the ship does not drift directly downwind (with the waves), but instead develops a sternboard and travels somewhat across the wind. In the final section, John has snagged the wreck's painter with the tugboat towline. He then tows the brig towards the beach. The Underwriters are nervously awaiting the Salvage Claim.
Apr 08, 2011, 11:15 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Thread OP

Beating

Short video of beating; first section offshore, 2nd section closeup of beat/close reach. Although it appears that the film was sped-up for the 2nd section, no special effects were applied; zooming in on the ship does emphasize the water ripples, so that has some effect on apparent speed. However, she's a speedy craft in the right wind; I wanted to get a still shot of the brig with a snowy mountain in the background, but she kept slipping past before I could snap the photo. Seasickness warning for the 2nd section :-)
Apr 10, 2011, 02:53 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Thread OP

Nautilus capsizes Brig

Testing a new sinking design. Nautilus approaches submerged. Barb on the starboard vane guard snags the pin-release-line on the brig's keel. Pin is pulled, brig ballast is dropped, and brig lays over. The barb remained snagged on the release line, so Nautilus surfaces and circles the wreck.

In deeper water, the released ballast, hanging off the transom by the safety line, would force the brig to end up floating with bowsprit up in the air. But in the shallow water of this test, ballast rests on the bottom, and brig simply lays on it's starboard side.

My thanks to camerawoman, and all-around-assistant Jenny. It was cold, cloudy, breezy, with snow covering the beach. She could not wear mittens and still perform her duties, which included camerawork, winding the rubberband, retrieving the brig after each attack, handing me tools, etc...Well Done Jenny!
Last edited by Brooks; Apr 10, 2011 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply