Apr 02, 2011, 07:58 PM
so am I correct that in using the flymentor system its tail gyro takes the place of one you would have to buy anyway? or does it work in addition to? I mean on a fresh build I have to purchase a gyro anyway so I can subtract that amount from what the flymentor is costing correct?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2011, 08:07 PM
Heli and E-Plane
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgilbert
so am I correct that in using the flymentor system its tail gyro takes the place of one you would have to buy anyway? or does it work in addition to? I mean on a fresh build I have to purchase a gyro anyway so I can subtract that amount from what the flymentor is costing correct?
Yes Flymentor comes with a gyro, you can "add" a better one down the road...
Apr 03, 2011, 07:16 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Thread OP
People have told me the included tail gyro feature was not good but I'm using it in mine. My helicopter has little vibrations to mess it up.
Apr 03, 2011, 08:40 AM
Ok one more question, since the flymentor also does the mixing doesnt that give those without good digital tx ( like dx6i dx 7 ect ) a bit more of an advantage if building from scratch?
Apr 03, 2011, 09:18 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer291113
Yes Flymentor comes with a gyro, you can "add" a better one down the road...
any links on how to do this? Is is just as simple as using a sensor from a 3G or something like that? Or do you just swap out the tail only?

I have one of these I am getting ready to put on a EXI500, I would mind swapping the piezo sensor with a MEMs.
Apr 03, 2011, 09:44 PM
Heli and E-Plane
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox
any links on how to do this? Is is just as simple as using a sensor from a 3G or something like that? Or do you just swap out the tail only?

I have one of these I am getting ready to put on a EXI500, I would mind swapping the piezo sensor with a MEMs.
Go to the Helifreak forum they have a lot of good info on the Flymentor!

For starters:

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=177346

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=267961

HTH!
Apr 07, 2011, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgilbert
Ok one more question, since the flymentor also does the mixing doesnt that give those without good digital tx ( like dx6i dx 7 ect ) a bit more of an advantage if building from scratch?
You still absolutely have to have at least a 6ch Tx with cyclic mixing capability to make this work and all the 6ch and up Tx's have mixing ability. The only part the FM does is to mix the cyclic's for stability. The TX still overruns the FM control of cyclics for control of the heli for flying. You do this in the Tx by reducing the mix to a single 90 servo setting and allowing the FM to do its work. It also can replace the tail gyro but it is a simple piezo style and not very aggressive. There are quite a few settings in the TX that still need to be adjusted in correspondence with the FM.
A non adjustable TX simply will not work.
Apr 07, 2011, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox

You can either run the FM with its own gyro for basic flying or run any tail gyro you are comfortable with as it will bypass the tail control of the FM and allow the FM to only stabilize the cyclic servos. You can also turn off the FM while in flight if you choose.
Jul 12, 2011, 08:44 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Thread OP
I'm starting to get turned off by the flymentor. I'm on my 3rd install and this one is painful. The student's Align 500 has a tail glitch using an external gyro. There is a vibe I'm hunting down. Normally, the heli would still be flyable and a student could learn on it. The tail is holding but glitching. This is causing the flymentor problems making it unusable (I have to turn it off). Thus, I can't turn the heli over to the student.
Jul 12, 2011, 01:03 PM
Heli and E-Plane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic
I'm starting to get turned off by the flymentor. I'm on my 3rd install and this one is painful. The student's Align 500 has a tail glitch using an external gyro. There is a vibe I'm hunting down. Normally, the heli would still be flyable and a student could learn on it. The tail is holding but glitching. This is causing the flymentor problems making it unusable (I have to turn it off). Thus, I can't turn the heli over to the student.
Hi Melnic, check this thread out, a lot of good info and successes...I'm sure someone would be able to help you!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1438944
Jul 12, 2011, 01:28 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer291113
Hi Melnic, check this thread out, a lot of good info and successes...I'm sure someone would be able to help you!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1438944
Thx. I'll read through it.
My problem is the helicopter itself. My student crashed it several times before asking for help and it's a cluster%&#k. The helicopter has the vibes. vibes that might normally be tolerable to a student but not the flymentor. I have Zeal gel on it already just like I did when I did the first 450 in the early posts of this thread.
Jul 12, 2011, 06:28 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Thread OP
GRRR,
My vibe issue is gone. My student turned on the Align ESC gov which sucks unless tuned properly (and sometimes not even then). I set up his ESC and all is smooth.
Back to the flymentor for another try
Jul 13, 2011, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic
GRRR,
My vibe issue is gone. My student turned on the Align ESC gov which sucks unless tuned properly (and sometimes not even then). I set up his ESC and all is smooth.
Back to the flymentor for another try
How did u stop the vibe?
Mine vibes heaps but torelable to gyro and FM.
Jul 13, 2011, 01:14 AM
Hi: i have install KDS800 Gyro in my new rc helicopter, but always hearing a sound like moving servo horns, appreciate if someone could explain me the problem.

Thanks
Afeef
Jul 13, 2011, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdullaafeef10
Hi: i have install KDS800 Gyro in my new rc helicopter, but always hearing a sound like moving servo horns, appreciate if someone could explain me the problem.

Thanks
Afeef
If you are running digital servos or have it on balance mode the servos are self leveling without any stick movement. It is normal

BTW

Whoohoo, I just spent an all nighter last night building my new flymentor 450 project and got it up in the air this afternoon. Still haven't gone to bed. I was having issues with a new tail servo that died right on the setup stand. So I had to rob parts from my other heli and set it up with an MKS Ds95i instead. Tell you what, I can tell the difference running a much lighter body on this new one. I am using far less gain than I did with my last two builds.
It also took me most the day to dial in a fairly complex tail gyro and build a functional head out of three of them.
No vibes, none! It lifted right up after I gave it a run on my rotating test stand. This zeal tape works wonders!

Hang in there melnic, it is so worth it.

Quick Reply