Jul 13, 2011, 06:12 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Thread OP
THe align ESC was causing tail jerk/jitter.

Actually today I flew the 450 with flymentor, it was vibrating today and the flymentor was fine. Gain was 40% in stabilize mode. I have the Zeal Gell as shown in earlier photos. My student I think can graduate to a lower gain. He can't really hover but stabilization is not his problem.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2011, 07:34 PM
Professional heli wrecker
congrats!
Aug 22, 2019, 03:55 PM
Essex
I don't know if anybody's still following this thread, but if so...

Today I maidened of my TRex 500 DFC, with a Flymentor and TGZ380 (BeastX clone) for flybarless duties. I've got the KDS "gyro" on Zeal gel. The TGZ380 is doing the tail gyro job as well. It was as windy as Hell today, so I reckon if I can maiden this today, it must work pretty well. I am used to the Helicommand, and therefore not a very good heli pilot without one!

I normally use a Helicommand Rigid on my 450, but couldn't find another one for less than 300 quid for this one, so I ordered the KDS from HK (63 quid INCLUDING POSTAGE!). I knew it was a risk, but so far that risk seems to have paid off! I have got a film of the flight, but this site says it's too big (132MB), pity!
Aug 24, 2019, 06:22 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Easiest way to show a video is upload to YouTube then put a link here
Aug 24, 2019, 12:10 PM
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
Easiest way to show a video is upload to YouTube then put a link here
Thanks for the tip, here it is:-

I have got a lovely canopy for this, but I left it off on this maiden because I didn't want it destroyed in the inevitable (I thought) crash!

Trex 500 Dfc VERY windy day (1 min 50 sec)
Yesterday, 03:14 AM
Essex

Hand-free on a windy day

OK, here's my TRex 500 DFC again. with the canopy this time! Still using the TGZ380 (BeastX clone) for FBL duties, and the FlyMentor for general stabilisation and holding-still duties. The FM "gyro" is mounted on Zeal gel.

This was quite a gusty day, and as you can see, the heli doesn't move...I would say it is more "stuck to the spot" than with a HeliCommand, especially since I made position sens gain 10 AND forward freewheel the firmest setting, both over to the extreme right, and yes, I know the HC very well, been using them for over ten years, got a 3A and a Rigid.

Just to explain, I fly mode 3, so both the cyclic controls (ail & ele) are on my left hand. When I show you my free left hand, all I'm controlling with my right hand is collective pitch, the gyro takes care of the rudder. Talking of which, I am now using the FM tail gyro. The two pitch pumps at the end, they're not the most extreme pitch pumps you've ever seen, this bird is not set up for 3D, and only running 4s, but I think they clearly show that the FM tail gyro is more than adequate for general sport flying, anyway...ENJOY!

PS I'm so enamoured with the FM that I've just ordered another one! Now the field controller isn't available any more, I don't think HK will be selling these much longer either. They are presently 33 (!) in their "cyber sale", that helped me decide to buy another one too. I think the low price is because they are winding them down into obscurity. Don't say you weren't warned! No, I am not connected to HK in any way, just trying to persuade fellow modellers to get an amazing piece of kit while they still can.

Hands Free Compilation (1 min 17 sec)
Last edited by Electrev; Yesterday at 03:26 AM.

Quick Reply