Mar 18, 2011, 03:51 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Thread OP
Discussion

KDS Flymentor 3D

I have a KDS Flymentor. I got it working so easily that I think it has potential.
I premise this with the fact that I'm not a novice. I've been in RC for 20 years and Helicopters for about 18. Setting up the Flymentor was aided by an online friend that warned me about some errors in the manual (blue and green wires are opposite what they say). There's alot of info over on the FREAK but I don't go to that site much. Way more activity over here so I thought I'd start to share experiances I have as I work with it.
My 2 oldest kids (11 and 9) have started to fly some. 3ch and MSR in the house. I wanted a stable outdoor CP heli platform for them. I have a 450 set up on 2 DX7's in a buddy box configuration and I wanted to start them off with a 'coaxial' feel to it that i can dial down over time. Here comes the flymentor. You can get them at Hobby King (when in stock or RC-fever)

KDS Flymentor at RC Fever
Field programming box
KDS Flymentor at Hobby King

I mounted the flymentor onto my EXI 450 Carbon SE (An align 450 SEv2 clone). The EXI was already a stable and smooth flying helicopter before I added the flymentor so I did not have to fight any vibe issues.

I toned down the pitch response in the DX7 setups so the heli is much easier to fly. Not only that, but even with the Flymentor Sensitivity set very low, the 450 is more stable in the wind than before. Against the advise of others, I even used the Flymentor to control the tail. This allowed me to set the tail gain in the flymentor software and use my gear switch for the Flymentor sensitivity gain. (more gain makes it self stabilize faster). THus I did not need a 7Ch Rx and I'm using a park flyer AR6100e.
I'm going to try to grab some noob Heli pilots, or plank pilots who have minimal heli sim time and see how it goes in addition to my kids.

One can debate all day that this or Helicommand type device is necessary. I don't think it's necessary but it's an option.
A 450 heli with the flymentor is a pretty stable platform. I flew it yesterday in 10-15mph wind and with the system turned on, it was noticably more stable. Maybe you should not learn in 15mph winds, but it sure helped it. Learning with a FP heli in 10mph winds is unbearable to me.

I know people who have been trying to learn to fly and they are struggling so much that I think the only way they will enjoy themselves is to get one of these. I was actually inspired to get this the day I finished setting up a 500 with 3G for a fellow club member then handed him the sticks. he crashed i in about 60 seconds.

Installing one of these does not take away all the other setup you need to do in a CP heli to get it flyable. It adds work to it, but it might just take future work away from crash repair as you are learning. Since I'll have my kids on a buddy box, I know that if I need to pull the control away from them, I can rely on the flymentor to quickly handle the cyclic (faster than I can) and I can take care of the collective/tail.

Heli freak has great threads in the flight stabilization area on the Flymentor. If you have not seen that. DO IT!
http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=180
Last edited by Melnic; Jul 18, 2012 at 08:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2011, 03:51 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Thread OP
Video:
KDS Flymentor quick review (12 min 13 sec)
Mar 18, 2011, 03:52 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Thread OP
Pictures
Note, out of habit, I goop E6000'd the board into the sensor housing.
It uses 3 Piezo sensors in the housing.

Note, when you initialize it, it really helps to make sure heli is level for about 20-30 seconds before you move it (I was told this and I think it makes a difference).
Mar 18, 2011, 04:26 PM
Suspended Account
awsome,, what a great training aid.
Mar 20, 2011, 05:54 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Thread OP
I took the EXI 450/Flymentor setup to the field today. I hooked up my 2nd DX7 in Trainer mode and had an fellow experianced Heli Pilot test it out. I think that if anyone trains on a buddy box, it's a good idea to get a 2nd experianced heli pilot to trim out the buddy box. What we worked on was the process of taking from and handing over control of the helicopter. I've not buddy box trained anyone in over 12 years so it was a good excercise.
The trainer switch on a DX7 kinda sucks and is uncomfortable but we worked with it.
Since I had the flymentor, I set the gain on my side up high so when I took control, the cyclic nearly instantly righted the helicopter. I pretty much only had to worry about the collective. One thing is that if you hand the heli back to a student, you gotta start high or make sure they have MORE collective than you (or just land it again) It's really important to make sure you prompt them to set the collective correctly before you hand it over. For the instructor, once you hand it over, bump your collective up some so if you have to take it from them, the heli climbs. (of course DON"T FORGET to lower collective if the student lands the heli!)

I then took a guy who's been trying to learn helis for a couple years but is elderly and has REALLY been strugling. It was easier for him to work on his left stick and basically drift a little on his right stick. By the end of the quick 7 minute flight, he already improved his left stick coordination.

I'm going to try my 11 year old son next. I'll give him some time on the simulator and then try the 450. I'm sure he'll be doing Piro flips by the end of April, LOL
Mar 20, 2011, 06:04 PM
banging head on wall
Melnic What did you do with your green and blue wires did you go green/gryo blue/channel 7 this is if you use both wires on the 7ch rx thank you
Mar 20, 2011, 08:27 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Thread OP
I originally had it on an 8ch Rx on a Flysky but I did not have 2 TXs to buddy box.
When I went to the 6Ch Spektrum, I left the green Tail Gyro wire disconnected and set the tail gyro gain to 30% HH in the PC interface.

So I only have the Blue Flymentor gain wire connected and that is on CH5.
Mar 21, 2011, 08:11 AM
would this work on a Nitro heli as well?
Mar 21, 2011, 09:17 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Thread OP
It's been done.
I'd use a different tail gyro though. Which means you need a 7Ch Rx or fix the flymentor gain in SW to say 70%

Jump to 1:00 to see it flying.
I wouldnt get as close as he does though.
FLYMENTOR 3D EN T REX 600 NITRO (4 min 35 sec)
Mar 21, 2011, 09:25 AM
Cranky old fart
Would this work on a 250, or be too much extra weight?
Mar 21, 2011, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic
It's been done.
I'd use a different tail gyro though. Which means you need a 7Ch Rx or fix the flymentor gain in SW to say 70%

Jump to 1:00 to see it flying.
I wouldnt get as close as he does though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIHO-lYqqUU
Cool I already have a caliber V3 ready for rx install so I might get one to put in that

I would think it might be a bit heavy for a 250 but I dont know that much about them
Mar 22, 2011, 04:15 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Thread OP
I have a 250 and one thing is having room. My 250 could handle the weight but I think it would look like a Tumor.
The one problem is the area for the gyro sensor module, its' bigger than most gyros.
Mar 23, 2011, 04:42 PM
...into the mists of time...
I'm curious to see pics of the Flymentor mounted on a Blade SR. Has anyone tried it yet?
Mar 26, 2011, 05:44 PM
im so ordering one, since i want to fly scale more than 3d.
Mar 26, 2011, 06:18 PM
Ive just ordered one as well with the PC Gyro Program Card GP600 gonna fir it to my Caliber 3

Quick Reply