Mar 17, 2011, 06:15 AM
sensitive artsy type
Thread OP
Link

St. Patrick's Day: "We're not going back to the old ways."

Interesting article on the Irish immigrants and how they unionized to overcome discrimination in the workplace.

Quote:
NEW YORK In a year when the questions of union power and the responsibility of governments to their employees have taken center stage, St. Patrick's Day is taking on dual meaning for many Irish-Americans, with their rich ties to the labor movement.

The struggles their famine-worn ancestors faced as new arrivals the slurs from their neighbors, the "Irish need not apply" signs still echo through the generations, as does the avid union support that helped lift them to positions of power, influence and ultimately acceptance.

"Union jobs, civil service jobs have always been the ladder out of poverty for working people in this country," said Patrick J. Lynch, leader of the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, the union that represents New York police. "The faces may have changed. The countries they're coming from may have changed. But the ladder is the same."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110317/...s_unions_irish
Mar 17, 2011, 07:41 AM
Out of Time
An intentionally timed article to further confuse "government employee union" with "private sector employee union".

So let's go through this one more time; government unions are a licentious relationship between unions and politicians that promote certain political candidates who will then pay back the unions by giving the unions what they want by using taxpayer's money. Very literally, both the unions and the politicians are on the same side and not "bargaining" at all because it's the taxpayers who have to pay the demands, and the taxpayers are not represented in any meaningful way in the negotiations.
Private sector unions are bereft of that relationship so they work out just fine.

Nice try, though. I appreciate the opportunity to yet again explain it in a way that makes sense to every taxpayer in this country.
Mar 17, 2011, 08:07 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Things were very different back then. I don't think anyone doubts the unions had a place in time and were very beneficial then. That time has gone by and they never should have had a place for government employees.

This guy could not be more wrong. Union jobs, civil service jobs are not the ladder out of poverty in this country. Civil service jobs are not one big welfare program for the poor. Hard work and self accountablility is the ladder out of poverty in this country. The government or a union does not lift one out of poverty, the people do that themselves.
Mar 17, 2011, 08:23 AM
Alarm Bells Softening!
My great-great grandfather fled from Ireland due to the potato famine but the discrimination from 100+ years ago, and any unions the Irish may have formed, have never "echoed" in my life. Maybe because he never lived in New York City and the family scattered and got their own educations and private sector jobs without the need for a union ladder.

Regardless, Happy St. Patrick's Day! (My namesake.)
Quote:
The struggles their famine-worn ancestors faced as new arrivals — the slurs from their neighbors, the "Irish need not apply" signs — still echo through the generations, as does the avid union support that helped lift them to positions of power, influence and ultimately acceptance.
Mar 17, 2011, 08:32 AM
UN Earth peoples true enemy
Today I flew into Ireland

No not to see the big parade got too much stuff to do

I have to vist my USA freind there and help him pack to leave there

He worked for the same industry as me and that company went belly up when Japan went into melt down
The factory that supplied everything he sold got washed out to sea

So I figured we would try to share a few last moments before he left to go Back to His farm in Montana

Because he is a ex marine USA who speaks Russian and other lingos he will find online work from inside the USA

He is forth generation Irish removed from Ireland rom 1865 famine period so they wont let him stay in Ireland as he doesnt have any work anymore

However he says he will be happy to get back to mMontana and start stock piling even more 50 cals and join in the Alex Jones spread of the truth

He has seen things and knows things and says Alex Jones only tells you a fraction of the story

His recommendation now the best investment now is food and lead and best is to be lost in the Rocky mountians and prepare for major nuke fall out and dont belive anything UNCLE SAM tells you

However before all that have a guiness beer happy St Patricks day

Ralf
Mar 17, 2011, 08:44 AM
sensitive artsy type
Thread OP
Somebody's got an Alex Jones jones.

You know, like a Basketball jones. Cheech and Chong still crack me up.
Mar 17, 2011, 09:49 AM
No Country for Snowflake Men
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop
Somebody's got an Alex Jones jones.

You know, like a Basketball jones. Cheech and Chong still crack me up.
LOL, Basetball Jones..........he's a Basetball Jones............
Mar 17, 2011, 09:51 AM
sensitive artsy type
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b-E
LOL, Basetball Jones..........he's a Basetball Jones............
What a great song!

Ooooo-OOOOOOOh-Ooooo!
Mar 17, 2011, 10:37 AM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
basketball jones orig. 1975 animated (3 min 43 sec)
Mar 17, 2011, 10:48 AM
characters welcome!
I wouldn't call it a jones'n. More of a troll'n.

mw
Mar 17, 2011, 10:51 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
That was one twisted video.
Mar 17, 2011, 10:51 AM
Takka-Takka-Takka
Quote:
Originally Posted by treehog

He worked for the same industry as me and that company went belly up when Japan went into melt down

So I figured we would try to share a few last moments before he left to go Back to His farm in Montana

Because he is a ex marine USA who speaks Russian and other lingos he will find online work from inside the USA

He is forth generation Irish removed from Ireland rom 1865 famine period so they wont let him stay in Ireland as he doesnt have any work anymore

However he says he will be happy to get back to mMontana and start stock piling even more 50 cals and join in the Alex Jones spread of the truth

He has seen things and knows things and says Alex Jones only tells you a fraction of the story

His recommendation now the best investment now is food and lead and best is to be lost in the Rocky mountians and prepare for major nuke fall out and dont belive anything UNCLE SAM tells you

Ralf
All that happened in six days? Wow, Ireland certainly has speeded things up over there since my last visit. It used to take six days to get a postcard.
Mar 17, 2011, 12:03 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by treehog

Ralf

Not nitpicking, but there's NO SUCH THING as an "ex-Marine."

"Once a Marine, always a Marine." It's the American knighthood.

This truism is the official motto of the Marine Corps League. The origin of the statement is credited to a gung-ho Marine Corps master sergeant, Paul Woyshner. During a barroom argument he shouted, "Once a Marine, always a Marine!" MSgt. Woyshner was right. Once the title "U.S. Marine" has been earned, it is retained. There are no ex-Marines or former-Marines. There are (1) active duty Marines, (2) retired Marines, (3) reserve Marines, and (4) Marine veterans. Nonetheless, once one has earned the title, he remains a Marine for life.
Mar 17, 2011, 12:38 PM
Alarm Bells Softening!
Tid-bit on Irish immigration in an article on Obama's Irish heritige..
Quote:
When the 903-ton Marmion arrived after a 3,000-mile voyage to New York Harbor from Liverpool, England, carrying 289 passengers, it was following a well-worn route used by masses of Irish immigrants.

Among the carpenters, bricklayers and shoemakers arriving that day was Kearney, listed in records only as a laborer.

Like many of the passengers, he was fleeing a country ravaged by a potato blight that destroyed families and livelihoods and left the country starving. From the 1840s to the end of the 1850s, about 1.7 million Irish immigrants came to the United States.

On the day of the Marmion’s arrival, the Brooklyn Daily Eagle reported that the St. Patrick’s Society in Brooklyn had held its first annual banquet; a toast was made to the passengers’ homeland, referring to it by its ages-old nickname: “Though gloomy shadows hang o’er thee now ... as darkness is densest, even just before day, So thy gloom, truest Erin, may soon pass away.”

By 1860, the city had the largest Irish population in the world outside Ireland. Nearly 37 million Americans claimed Irish ancestry in 2009, according to census estimates.
http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt...cc4c002e0.html

Quick Reply