Mar 16, 2011, 02:09 AM
Electric foamy flyer
Thread OP
Discussion

Just had a lipo fire.

o I was just awakened by my smoke alarms and smoke. Ihad an 1800mah lipo and I had put 2 130mah micro batteries on the charger an hour before I went to sleep.

I woke up met my dad turned on lighted smelled an aweful mix of what I could think of rubber and plastic. I grabbed the whole charger of my 1800mah which lookedd fine and threw it outside. Went back and now I see smoke in my airplane room. I had put a battery in my a10 an hour ago so I grabbed the whole plane and threw it outside breaking it in half cause I was scared and still asleep. Next I went to find my Halon 1121 fire extinguisher that I got off a real DC3 just in case. At this time there is still smoke but alarms went off... looked around and sitting on the floor was my eflite celectra charger from my MSR with a black puffed Hyperion 1s 130mah battery..... so I grabbed it and put it outside my front door.

Why did this happen?

Yesterday at the field one puffed up on me but I caught it before it could get out of control. I noticed that the led on the #4 port is constantly on with out a battery in it. Don't know what this means.

So now my bedroom reeks and I am in the living room typing this up. Thank you lord it wasn't a bigger battery.
Last edited by fly Frontier; Mar 16, 2011 at 02:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2011, 02:59 AM
Reduce the drama...
"Yesterday at the field one puffed up on me"
"I noticed that the led on the #4 port is constantly on with out a battery in it"
"I had put 2 130mah micro batteries on the charger an hour before I went to sleep"
"Why did this happen?"

Manual for the Celectra 4-Port Charger
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/charger.pdf
Note: Lithium Polymer batteries are significantly more volatile than the alkaline,
Ni-Cd or Ni-MH batteries used in RC applications. All instructions and warnings
must be followed exactly. Mishandling of Li-Po batteries can result in fire.

By handling, charging or using the included Li-Po battery, you assume all risks associated
with lithium batteries. If you do not agree with these conditions, return your complete
Celectra 4-Port 1-Cell 3.7V 0.3A DC Li-Po Charger (EFLC1004), in unused condition to
the place of purchase immediately.

You must charge 1-cell 3.7V Li-Po batteries in a safe area away from
flammable materials.

Never charge the battery unattended. When charging the battery you should always
remain in constant observation to monitor the charging process and react to
potential problems that may occur.

• After flight, the Li-Po batteries must be cooled to the ambient temperature
before charging.
• If at any time during the charge or discharge process the battery begins to balloon
or swell, discontinue charging or discharging immediately. Quickly and safely
disconnect the battery, then place it in a safe, open area away from flammable
materials to observe it for at least 15 minutes. Continuing to charge or discharge a
battery that has begun to balloon or swell can result in a fire. A battery that has
ballooned or swollen even a small amount must be removed from service
completely.
Mar 16, 2011, 03:09 AM
Reduce the drama...
Lipo batteries...Fire
A safe area
Away from flammable materials
Not inside a house or garage
Never charge the battery unattended
remain in constant observation
Not in bed, asleep

Also thank God your Dad is alive, your home isn't burning, and the smoke alarms worked.
Mar 16, 2011, 03:20 AM
Electric foamy flyer
Thread OP
Yes I shouldn't have gone to sleep. I was totally aware that lipo fires happen but didn't expect from this charger. Usually they stop charging after the light turns off. But I don't think my charger has been working right. Oh well.. and yes I am very thankful that I didn't loose house or any body.
Mar 16, 2011, 03:22 AM
Reduce the drama...
Daniel;
I'm glad you're ok.
That smoke you smelled is very toxic.
You might ask your Dad about seeing a doctor.
Mar 16, 2011, 03:24 AM
Reduce the drama...
You should also take a shower, scrub and rinse from head to feet in that order.
Wash your clothing, your walls will have that stuff on them. What a mess.
Mar 16, 2011, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly Frontier
... Why did this happen? ...
I'm sure you've already got the message from rick's posts but, just to make sure, it happened because you broke just about every rule there is about charging.

Glad to hear that you and your family are all okay After cleaning yourself and your house up, you need to get that charger checked. With one led on all the time, something isn't right.
Mar 16, 2011, 03:46 AM
more and more i'm thinking that charging inside regardless of the safety precautions that are used is a really, really bad bad idea.
Mar 16, 2011, 04:00 AM
like a rock!
>> charging inside
I don't see the problem.
The mistake that's made again and again is: don't charge unsupervised. "Sleeping" qualifies as "unsupervised".
If you stick to this rule, the chance of serious damage from a LiPo fire is practically zero.
Mar 16, 2011, 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityKills
>> charging inside
I don't see the problem.
The mistake that's made again and again is: don't charge unsupervised. "Sleeping" qualifies as "unsupervised".
If you stick to this rule, the chance of serious damage from a LiPo fire is practically zero.
i get what your saying. its not worried about the fire its the smoke.
Mar 16, 2011, 07:19 AM
Fly Safe !!
You go and make a cup of coffee - that is unsupervised

DO NOT charge inside
Mar 16, 2011, 08:03 AM
Southern Pride
Quote:
Originally Posted by porqui
You go and make a cup of coffee - that is unsupervised

DO NOT charge inside
I charge at 3 to 12C mostly 5C. It takes less than 15 min. to do a complete balanced charge. If anyone can not stay next to their charger(s) for 15 minutes then they should not be using LiPolys period IMO.

Get your, soda,coffee, take a leak,place the cordless phone and your cell phone next to you and then start the charge.

When I charg inside which is a lot my LiPoly and chargers are less than two feet away.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 16, 2011 at 08:24 AM.
Mar 16, 2011, 08:15 AM
like a rock!
>> You go and make a cup of coffee - that is unsupervised
agree.

>> DO NOT charge inside
I do not agree. This is your opinion and detached from reality as I know it.
I think it's not well thought out: Are you going to supervise your LiPos when you charge outside? What if the weather isn't great? Thieves? children? Electricity?

Of course, the majority of LiPo users has a fire-safe concrete bunker in their backyard

My personal plan B for indoor LiPo incidents is a three-step procedure:

- open window
- throw out the LiPo
- close window

Feel free to adapt it or ignore it.
Last edited by gravityKills; Mar 16, 2011 at 08:21 AM.
Mar 16, 2011, 08:54 AM
Electric foamy flyer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin
Daniel;
I'm glad you're ok.
That smoke you smelled is very toxic.
You might ask your Dad about seeing a doctor.
Yea, we werent really in the smoke for very long, but definently something to consider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin
You should also take a shower, scrub and rinse from head to feet in that order.
Wash your clothing, your walls will have that stuff on them. What a mess.
Sounds like a good idea. Idk if ill have to scrub walls, i dont smell it anymore, but we will see.. (7 hours after incedent)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn
I'm sure you've already got the message from rick's posts but, just to make sure, it happened because you broke just about every rule there is about charging.
Glad to hear that you and your family are all okay After cleaning yourself and your house up, you need to get that charger checked. With one led on all the time, something isn't right.
Yea, I guess i didnt realize that those little lipos, do get out of control too. I am just wondering why i have had 3 go out on me recently...

The battery is still in the charger all plack and swollen, how should I remove it? And yea MAybe something in the manual explains the led.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipoflyer
i get what your saying. its not worried about the fire its the smoke.
Yea, I never did see fire, only smoke, the charger was right by the wall and there are no black marks, but wow that smoke was NASTY!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityKills
>> You go and make a cup of coffee - that is unsupervised
agree.

>> DO NOT charge inside
I do not agree. This is your opinion and detached from reality as I know it.
I think it's not well thought out: Are you going to supervise your LiPos when you charge outside? What if the weather isn't great? Thieves? children? Electricity?

Of course, the majority of LiPo users has a fire-safe concrete bunker in their backyard

My personal plan B for indoor LiPo incidents is a three-step procedure:

- open window
- throw out the LiPo
- close window

Feel free to adapt it or ignore it.
Yea i opened windows all around the house, luckily its not too cold here in Arizona,

Thank you everyone for your replies, im kinda shaken by it. But lesson learned.
Mar 16, 2011, 09:05 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
Glad you are OK.
If you can, take a picture of the charger/lipo and post it here.

Rick

Quick Reply