Mar 16, 2011, 12:30 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Anyone else wish Precision Aerobatics would make a larger electric 3D monoplane!

I'm a very happy and satisfied owner of a Precision Aerobatics Extra MX. My MX is built so well and so amazingly light and I love the iPA power system. It's at least a pound lighter than any other 57-60" wingpspan electric 3D plane out there and sometimes two pounds lighter. I just don't know how PA does it but I love the way this super light plane flies.

But I have caught the bug to get into larger models. By larger, I'm talking about something in the 72-76" wingspan and 9-11 lbs range; something that would normally be powered by a 30cc gas engine, but I'm interested in electric only.

3D Hobby Shop has several scale 3D monoplanes in this size as well as SebArt, Extreme Flight and Aero-Works. All of these are electric or are compatible with electric power. Since Precision Aerobatics really markets their own brand of
motors and ESCs with their planes, I suspect they would not develop a model this size without also developing a matching Thrust motor and Quantum ESC. I'm thinking something in the 1800 to 2500 W range running on 6S-8S. Could even use two 4S packs in series similar to the Extra MX with its two 3S in series. The 4S packs would be easily compatible with other 58-60" wingspan 3D planes out there. Or what about using three of their existing 3S 2200mah packs in series? That would give you 9S and they wouldn't have to develop or market a new battery, though I'm unsure if the capacity would come out right.

Anyone else on board with me here? As far as what particular plane to model, I would love to see an Edge 540. Other possibilities are an MX2 or MXS. I'm kind of biased toward scale monoplanes. I found a thread by Precision Aerobatics from 2007 where they were asking for input about their next project and read a lot of great suggestions. Anyway, I just wanted to put it out there what I would like to see done next by PA.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2011, 12:48 AM
Im pretty sure they do make larger planes but dont send them to the states.
Mar 16, 2011, 02:52 AM
I'm a big PA fan as well and I'm with you Neil.

Imagine, a 72' Edge with an AUW of about 7.5 pounds and the power to weight ratio of the MX!
Mar 16, 2011, 03:35 AM
"Anyone else wish Precision Aerobatics would make a larger electric 3D monoplane!"

Nup, I wish they made more smaller planes in the 40" - 50" range .
Mar 16, 2011, 03:41 AM
Gloves are awkward
There new plane is being released on the 3rd of April!! Personally i hope its a smaller one so i can get it in my car made up. Im guessing one of us will be happy!

My money is on another addiction have you noticed how they now call them -

Addiction - 20 size
Addiction X - 40 size

What ever they make it will be awsome in sure of that.....
Mar 16, 2011, 04:25 AM
I'm torquing to you!
A little birdy told me their next plane will first break cover at the Toledo Trade Show 1st, 2nd and 3rd of April. So only 2 weeks to go!

And currently PA does not have anything of it's own design larger than the Extra MX available anywhere.

But now that the have their own range of gas engines in both 28cc and 55cc it is only a matter of time before we see 70" and bigger designs from Shaun that will run either gas or electric. I can't wait!
Mar 16, 2011, 05:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze
A little birdy told me their next plane will first break cover at the Toledo Trade Show 1st, 2nd and 3rd of April. So only 2 weeks to go!

And currently PA does not have anything of it's own design larger than the Extra MX available anywhere.

But now that the have their own range of gas engines in both 28cc and 55cc it is only a matter of time before we see 70" and bigger designs from Shaun that will run either gas or electric. I can't wait!
So are those two REV gas motors their own product? I didn't know that. Did you see the video of the plane they're flying with that REV 28cc motor? I don't recognize it as another company's plane, but it does not have the PA signature pocket ailerons. Maybe this is the plane they're announcing in two weeks? A 30cc size Extra or Edge is exactly what I'm looking for.
Mar 16, 2011, 05:59 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricha
I'm a big PA fan as well and I'm with you Neil.

Imagine, a 72' Edge with an AUW of about 7.5 pounds and the power to weight ratio of the MX!
Exactly! I really like the Edge too and after I got my Extra MX I kept thinking how cool it would be if they made an Edge MX, same size and weight but just an Edge. Of course, that was before the larger plane bug bit me.
Mar 16, 2011, 08:56 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_SC
So are those two REV gas motors their own product? I didn't know that. Did you see the video of the plane they're flying with that REV 28cc motor? I don't recognize it as another company's plane, but it does not have the PA signature pocket ailerons. Maybe this is the plane they're announcing in two weeks? A 30cc size Extra or Edge is exactly what I'm looking for.
No it's a Pilot RC Extra that was used to help test the Rev 28.
Mar 18, 2011, 10:41 AM
I think we will see a lot of cool new planes coming out this year!!!!
Mar 18, 2011, 11:09 AM
Gloves are awkward
Ooooooo a lot you say, cant wait..........

PS any hints on whats coming.....
Mar 18, 2011, 06:27 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipjodan
Ooooooo a lot you say, cant wait..........

PS any hints on whats coming.....
There will be a red one, a green one, a blue one............

Toledo now less than 2 weeks away. I see "sexy" in our very near future!
Mar 18, 2011, 06:35 PM
Gloves are awkward
No yellow, im out........
Mar 29, 2011, 06:43 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Only a couple of days to go now until the new airframe is revealed at Toledo.
Mar 29, 2011, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze
Only a couple of days to go now until the new airframe is revealed at Toledo.
Cannot wait! Heard it is going to be one heck of an airplane. And that is is really good looking

I guess you already know that, right?

Quick Reply