Combat anyone?? - Page 39 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by tr miller, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 17, 2017, 01:28 PM
I like the idea

Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salin
I am wondering if club members would be interested in attending a combat challenge event on a Saturday hosted by VAM at Quarry Field. We would invite the members of all the clubs in the area to come fly combat with us. This would also provide a chance for club members who can't fly on Tuesday night to participate.

Basic format would be:
Start flying at 11am
Fly four rounds then break for lunch at about 12:30
Start back up after a 45 min break and fly four more rounds.

Possible dates: Some time in August or September?

Let me know what you think.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2017, 10:25 PM
Perfect night for combat. No real disasters (that I know of). EAA Chapter was on hand to hold their meeting, share a dinner with VAM members and watch our combat rounds. The new Quad racing/practice gates have arrived - very nice quality. Regarding combat we had some pretty impressive scores tonight. Great to see everyone steadily improving their scores during combat flying the FT Arrow. I think people are starting to truly figure out this model and make some nice flying adjustments or improvements. Heath still has kits available for those interested.

Scores attached. PS: I had added TR's score incorrectly at the field so he came in 2nd instead of 5th. As always, I welcome everyone to validate their scores against what I have recorded.

Tim
Jun 27, 2017, 11:07 PM

Combat Totals for 6/27/2017

Great crowd tonight. Had a dozen combat pilots and somehow we managed to fit all 4 rounds in exactly 1 hour with no mid-air collisions and no planes destroyed and with a number of ribbon cuts. Combat flyers are definitely improving and it's truly fun to participate. Tonight we picked up another soon-to-be club member and combat pilot (welcome Andy) and we had a visitor from Green Bay club (welcome Will) give the FT Arrow combat a try so he too may be back with his own plane. Then we had Bob and Alex from Hobby Town participate (nice to see hobby shop owner fly a model airplane and guess what - Bob is very good at it). We had more spot landings than a typical night so it was quite a pileup at the landing spot (see pictures).

Next week Tuesday happens to be 4th of July. Some are thinking of flying so we will plan to have combat at 6pm (normal time) and it may be a small or large crowd - not sure - so we will see what happens.

Tim

PS: Updated the scores as I didn't have Heath's 3 spot landings. This changes the ranking slightly as 2 and 3 place are swapped.
Last edited by timflight1; Jun 29, 2017 at 08:35 PM.
Jul 04, 2017, 02:08 PM
Combat is ON for tonight at 6pm!
Jul 04, 2017, 10:31 PM
Perfect flying conditions for combat tonight. We managed to have 4 participants even with 4th of July holiday so combat went on as planned - but at a more relaxed pace (I think it took 2 hours to get the 4 rounds in). Anyway we still had fun. Scores attached! We are thinking about hosting a sanctioned combat flying event in early to mid-September so stay tuned for more information. This would give our members a chance to match up with other AMA members that share an interest in RC combat.
Jul 04, 2017, 11:58 PM
Heath
Some good close flying tonight. Had a RunCam in my plane here are a few shots from round 1.
Jul 05, 2017, 08:24 AM
Cool pictures! All combat members - save the date for Saturday, September 16th, 2017 when VAM will host a CR sanctioned combat event named: "VAM 1Ah Streamer Combat Challenge". More information to follow!
Jul 05, 2017, 05:44 PM
Heath

Combat Videos

Here are the videos of round 1 and 2 from Tuesday.
VAM 1Ah Electric Streamer Combat - July 4th - Round 1 (6 min 9 sec)

VAM 1Ah Electric Streamer Combat - July 4th - Round 2 (6 min 28 sec)
Jul 11, 2017, 09:53 PM
Here are the combat totals for the week of July 11th. Congratulations Mickey for leading the pack tonight!

PS: Remember to save the date of September 16th for VAM combat sanctioned event.
Jul 11, 2017, 10:12 PM
Heath
Combat is scheduled for 6pm next Tuesday as normal. The event calendar did not have next week listed due to an error on my part. The calendar has been updated.
Jul 11, 2017, 10:33 PM

Combat Winners

Had a thought on the way home, should we create an award or way to recognize the weekly winners?
For example, we could take a used combat plane and write the week and the weekly winners on it and hang it on the wall in the clubhouse-or do something else.

Any thoughts?
Jul 11, 2017, 11:08 PM
Heath
How about a photo of your plane towing extra streamers?
Jul 18, 2017, 08:10 PM
Cool pictures from last week Heath. This week we only completed two rounds before the storm rolled in. Congrats to Jim for leading the pack. Next week some people may be going to EAA but we will still plan to have combat.
Jul 25, 2017, 10:08 PM
Here are the scores for July 25, 2017. We were fortunate to have Jim's son Scott fly with us today in visiting from San Diego and he ended up taking first place. Jim and Scott will also be working the AMA Simulator booth at EAA on Friday. Also had a visitor stop out that is in the concrete business and may taper the shed concrete for us. The question is, where was Bob tonight?
Last edited by timflight1; Jul 26, 2017 at 08:06 PM.
Jul 25, 2017, 11:48 PM
My dog ate my airplane
Thank you all for having me, it was great fun, and definitely beginners luck on scoring enough points to win the evening. I felt like it was just a challenge to stay oriented and in the contest area and near the pack with the wind and dull light we had. Thanks again and maybe I'll try again next summer?
Last edited by sredlin; Jul 26, 2017 at 12:29 AM.