Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by tr miller, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 15, 2011, 07:58 PM
T.R. miller
tr miller's Avatar
Yippee!

Combat anyone??


Looking to see if there would be enough interest in having a club combat league, it would be a compete with what ever you bring up to a .46 size engine to include trainers or flying wings what ever! I would like to see it on the first and third Monday evenings of the month say starting in June and running till September. Just looking to see if we would have enough interest to move forward with the idea, let me know what you think....thanks T.R.
Last edited by szastoupil; Aug 03, 2012 at 12:26 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2011, 08:35 PM
Registered User
I'm in
Mar 16, 2011, 05:21 AM
end user
knighttwister's Avatar
sounds like fun till i lose the plane.
Mar 20, 2011, 01:36 PM
T.R. miller
tr miller's Avatar
we have only 3 with 50 members in the club ??? whats really goin on?
Mar 20, 2011, 02:34 PM
end user
knighttwister's Avatar
it's still winter for anothe 3 hours and twenty nine minutes.
Mar 21, 2011, 04:04 AM
Registered User
IBBUCK's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr miller
we have only 3 with 50 members in the club ??? whats really goin on?
It's you TR, but don't take it personally or anything.
Besides it would be no contest.
Mar 21, 2011, 05:44 AM
end user
knighttwister's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBBUCK
It's you TR, but don't take it personally or anything.
Besides it would be no contest.
yeah wade, you'd be out at take off!
Mar 21, 2011, 03:33 PM
Registered User
IBBUCK's Avatar
Hey now! Who took out his own combat plane, even with no one else in the sky?
I think it was jimmy.
Mar 21, 2011, 05:52 PM
end user
knighttwister's Avatar
yup, lesson learned.
Mar 21, 2011, 08:55 PM
T.R. miller
tr miller's Avatar
sounds like wade is in??? or won't play if he can't win!
Mar 29, 2011, 09:44 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr miller
Looking to see if there would be enough interest in having a club combat league, it would be a compete with what ever you bring up to a .46 size engine to include trainers or flying wings what ever! I would like to see it on the first and third Monday evenings of the month say starting in June and running till September. Just looking to see if we would have enough interest to move forward with the idea, let me know what you think....thanks T.R.
If we do a combat league, we really should agree on a class. If we want to stay legal with the AMA, the stand off distance from the pits gets really high with a .46 engine.

SSC is really a blast and a great way to get into combat. The blue head Magnum .15 is a great cheap engine. And, at SSC speeds, midairs usually don't result in alot of damage.

We could do Open B - which is up to .25 sized. There's enough room at our field for the required stand off, but my open B plane flies close to 100MPH. Midairs at those speeds are usually catastrophic.

It's up to you guys. I just don't want to see anyone get hurt. And, if someone does, AMA is going to investigate and may not be happy about combat without following combat rules.
Mar 29, 2011, 06:59 PM
Cox Engine Hoarder
Jason_WI's Avatar
1/2A combat? Cheap engine (Cox Sure Start), small planes, lower speeds.
Mar 29, 2011, 07:05 PM
Scott Zastoupil
szastoupil's Avatar
T.R.,

For whatever it's worth, good luck with the combat project. I wouldn't be discouraged by the response here, actually it seems quite good. I'm guessing it would only take a few people, and a few more would be a bonus to make it worth your while. The group may look for your guidance to keep it cheap and keep it simple for the newbies. We've already exchanged emails offline in the the recommended guidelines look to be easy and straightforward to follow. Once you get established as a few person group you may want to keep the club officers in the loop to go about dedicating time for the league on a regular basis...if that's what you want.

A number of years ago Chris Z, Ryan T, and myself tried electric combat one night with the same plane design. It was fun while it lasted. My strategy was to make the opponents crash via extreme laughter by stalling into a tail slide and eating my own streamer to many bits.

Build it and they will come when the regulars of the field see how much fun you're having. I've been in the club long enough to see special interests come and go or stick. Five or six years ago I didn't set out to convert fellow members to handlaunch gliders, but it didn't take long for a dozen or more people to give it a try after watching my experiences. All one can do is encourage each other and feed off each other's enthusiasm. There are still a number of us flying handlaunch, some more serious than others. Next thing we knew that we're vacuum bagging wings, molding composite parts, building CNC machines, and traveling 500-1000 miles or more to contests.

Anyway, a little rambling on my part. Go for it.


Scott
Mar 31, 2011, 12:12 PM
T.R. miller
tr miller's Avatar
a fiew of us that soloed last year have out grown our trainers and have them avaiable and ready to fly that is the reason for using a .46 engine. and if the plane is not working most people have a spare .46 engine in the shop. but feel free to bring a .15 or .25 combat ready plane it's only for fun and i will use my trainer against a wing or what ever, its all in the fun! we will use the ama setback rules but it will be limited to current club members!
Mar 31, 2011, 01:08 PM
end user
knighttwister's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr miller
a fiew of us that soloed last year have out grown our trainers and have them avaiable and ready to fly that is the reason for using a .46 engine. and if the plane is not working most people have a spare .46 engine in the shop. but feel free to bring a .15 or .25 combat ready plane it's only for fun and i will use my trainer against a wing or what ever, its all in the fun! we will use the ama setback rules but it will be limited to current club members!
ELITIST!!![/B]


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion E-Combat Anyone? EZglider Atlanta Area RC 24 Nov 20, 2010 07:31 PM
Contest Slope combat, anyone? redgiki Utah Flyers Organization 16 Sep 14, 2010 09:40 PM
Discussion Indianapolis Area combat SEMFF WWII combat dman65 Combat 1 Sep 12, 2010 12:35 PM
Discussion Anyone Combat With The Sonics Combat Module In Albuquerque? kogibankole Electric Plane Talk 0 Mar 29, 2007 06:10 PM