Mar 14, 2011, 05:29 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Triangle racing software

Hello All

After I completed the 2K LSF 4 out and return I was bitten by distance flying.

The thread on Triangle racing has caught my interest.

I have obtained an IPAC PDA, new battery etc and it is working. It connects to my laptop etc.

Now the tricky bit.

I am having difficulty getting the SkyNav software.

My PDA is 2002 and I have found software and downloaded it BUT it is a library of .CAB files. No .exe file.

I have the manual. I went to www.skynavagitor.ch but could not find the downloads.

I am having great difficulty in finding and an executable. (.exe ) file.

Where am I going wrong?

Looking for help.

Thanks

cheers jq

I am happy to pay the 50 Swiss Francs as it will be worth it.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2011, 06:39 PM
yyz
yyz
John,

The .cab file is a package file that is used to bundle all of the SkyNavigator stuff into something you can download and run on your Windows Mobile PDA. The .exe files are a desktop/laptop thing.

The installation instructions start on page 29:

http://www.icare-rc.com/document/Sky...%20v%20_2_.pdf

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie John
Hello All

After I completed the 2K LSF 4 out and return I was bitten by distance flying.

The thread on Triangle racing has caught my interest.

I have obtained an IPAC PDA, new battery etc and it is working. It connects to my laptop etc.

Now the tricky bit.

I am having difficulty getting the SkyNav software.

My PDA is 2002 and I have found software and downloaded it BUT it is a library of .CAB files. No .exe file.

I have the manual. I went to www.skynavagitor.ch but could not find the downloads.

I am having great difficulty in finding and an executable. (.exe ) file.

Where am I going wrong?

Looking for help.

Thanks

cheers jq

I am happy to pay the 50 Swiss Francs as it will be worth it.
Mar 15, 2011, 05:19 AM
Thread OP

More Information

Hi Mike and any interested reader.

thanks for the reply. It is the programme (ie the .exe file) that I am at a loss to understand where it is.

I do not see the ICON for the application on the PDA

I have read every pixel on page 29 and beyond.

My PDA is 2002. Page 29 indicated that I need SkyNavGPS-Flyer_PPC.ARM

After searching by me and a mate for over 9 hours, I can almost say it does not exist on the WEB.

So, what make the CAB files work? My understanding of PCs is they cant run on their own.

I have done a soft reset of the PDA, the button near the power in. My PDA is an iPAC 3870. 2002

It is possible that the software is in a CAB file but something must get it out after WINRAR decomposes the WINRAR zip file.

Either I have totally missed the boat or something is missing.

Still looking for help.

Many thanks

jq
Mar 15, 2011, 09:38 AM

Get the .cab file on your PDA, then run it to install

Aussie John,

The .cab file contains the software. It must be copied to the PDA and then you can run it to install the software.

Do you have synchronization software between your laptop and the PDA?

For Vista / Windows 7 its called "Windows Mobile Device Center" and can be downloaded to your PC from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displayLang=en

For Windows XP and earlier the sync program is called Active Sync and can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...b-dc09f8141141

Once the .cab file is on your PDA you should be able to run it by clicking the .cab file using File Explorer. When that is done, you will see SkyNavGPS on your start menu.

Good Luck,
David
Mar 15, 2011, 12:58 PM
Team Horizon
John,

Please keep us updated on your progress so we can help you. It can be very frustrating working with PDAs for the first time because the procedures are so different from what we are used to. I am not an expert by any means, but I have successfully loaded Sky Nav onto a couple of PDAs now.

I downloaded the file named SkyNav_V3.CAB from the Icare site :http://www.icare-rc.com/skynavigator.htm and transfered it to the PDA using ActiveSync. (I have Windows XP SP3 on my PC)

Please try loading the version mentioned above into your PDA. Keep in mind that the manual was written several years ago and the software has been updated several times since then. Many of the screen shots and some procedures have changed. Most things that are different are easier and better. Perhaps this new version of Sky Nav will work with 2002.

If that doesn't work, you can try upgrading the OS on your PDA to 2003. Here is a web page that tells you how to do it: http://www.ehow.com/how_7547031_upgr...bile-2003.html

Rick
Mar 15, 2011, 02:06 PM
Thread OP

Hi Rick & David

Thanks for the update.

It is 6am Wednesday and I have printed your recommendations.

I am on a weeks leave and I will be back to the PDA after breakfast.

I will advise you of my efforts.

Cheers jq
Mar 16, 2011, 01:32 AM
Thread OP

Hello Rick & david

Well. I have been unable to load the software onto my PDA.

But, after MUCH searching my me and my mate ( Albert Fisher who lives about 150ks from me) about 4 hours for each of us, I finally found an EBAY entry from the UK who has new upgrades for sale.

Coat $13US post free. One has been bought so I am now in the hands of freight and post.

I was able to confirm that the OS memory is Flash ROM which explains why the OS was there after years with a flat battery and why it can be upgraded.

I guess it will be a few days before next rant.

I will be back after the next episode.

I have yet to discover how to get the GPS co-ordinates into the PDA.

I have been using an Eagle tree system but I have only had about 6 or so flights. Still learning.

Cheers jq

PS ebay item eBay item #350279608307 Pocket PC 2003 Upgrade for hp Compaq iPAQ
Apr 25, 2011, 09:25 PM
Thread OP

Problem with the forum

Hi Folks

I am very unhappy

I have just spent 30 minutes typing an up date to my problems with my IPAQ and I have bumped something and lost the lot.

Or is there a time limit on a response and all is lost

or is there a way to recover what I have typed.

This is not the first time I have lost an input.

cheers jq
Apr 25, 2011, 10:14 PM
Team Horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie John
Hi Folks

I am very unhappy

I have just spent 30 minutes typing an up date to my problems with my IPAQ and I have bumped something and lost the lot.

Or is there a time limit on a response and all is lost

or is there a way to recover what I have typed.

This is not the first time I have lost an input.

cheers jq
John,

Unfortunately, I have vast experience with what you have just described 8 hours a day here at work while using the buggy software forced upon us by our Mega Corp parent company. I learned a long time ago that whenever I needed to write anything in these programs that I should first write it using Microsoft Word or some other semi reliable word processor. Then when it is complete and I am happy with the result, copy the whole batch of text and paste into the program.

I have not had any trouble here at RCGroups, but why take the chance? The most likely culprit of lost data here at RCGroups is a flaky internet connection. That can happen anywhere, anytime, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Rick
Apr 25, 2011, 10:25 PM
Thread OP

Report on updating my IpAQ

D'day All

Now that I have had my rant I will try to remember what I have written.

It may be in a more logical sequence, who knows.

It is important that the synchronising software is working reliably before any application software is installed.

My Ipaq indicated that it was 2002 but I believe it may have been 2003.

It is advisable to learn how to determins this before you start any upgrades.

What seems to be available on the upgrade disk is a "roll Back" feature where you could reinstall 2002. This has not been tried by us.

My mate Albert Fisher spent about 8 hours looking for the software that was recommended for 2002 but could not find it anywhere.

This is the first time he has failed a challenge of mine so I have a strong feeling that is is no linger available unless it is a vault on Alkatraz Island.

It is highly recommended that a cable be purchased to up grade the machines.

It does not seen OK to use the docking station with the power disconnected as a means of upgrading the operating.

The cable can be found on the internet for about $5AUD.

This cable can also be useful for short time connections between the Pc and the IPAQ

Albert now has my PDA working.

It is possible that my PDA had 2002 upgraded to 2003 as during my attempts to upgrade the following errors occurred 101 & 106. The instal stops providing no help. The usual Microsoft help.

The instructions mention that you can use a CABLE/CRADLE for the Operating System upgrade. NO NO NO

You need the above mentioned cable. Leaving the PDA in the cradle with the power plug removed is not good enough as the install mucks up.

The instructions states that the battery needs to be removed during the upgrade. True! And necessary.

I though this was silly and did not follow the instructions. This may have caused some of my problems.

We did not experiment to prove this point. Learn from my lack of obedience to the instructions. But I should be forgiven as the Cable/Cradle was a red Herring.

To remove the back from the front a T6 TorX driver is required.

Squeeze the back to remove it from the "ears" on the front.

It was not clear to me that the NETCGSetup software is only needed on the PC.

There is a slider bar in the PDA that changes the ratio of OS memory to usable memory while retaining the total installed.

Set this before installation of the SkyNav application.

Albert has an original set of manuals for the IPAQ it is not essential to have these as there are three PDF files with all that is needed.

These are:

2Fc006566973

2FTPM_5981-4260en_rev1_US

2FTPM_253194-002_rev1_US

They total a little under 30mB.

The total disk is about 100Mb. It may still be on the web in the UK for a very modest cost.

Thanks to Alblert for his time to get my PDA working after I lost patience and time.

I came from a Mainframe environment and fine PCs tedious with out the diagnostics that I was familiar with.

The SkyNAV software intal does seem to install easily. Just get the correct CAB files.

Albert advised me that the SkyNav manual is easy to use as a test.

I get my PAD beck next weekend and i intend to register my copy.

HTML goes against all the regimentation of FORTRAN & Pacal.

I hope this is of some help, I do not think I could provide a reliable "cookbook" on how to do it , simply some information on our findings.

That is about it. I now am going to start a new thread on the getting the hardware to go into the model and to receive it to my PDA.

I am past having an interest in writing software so I am looking for "plug and go"

The triangle racing has me hooked although I have not flown it to this date.

Cheers jq in Aussie land. Usually very dry but lately very wet with floods over much of the country.

In some areas the floods are 20 miles wide and take 6 weeks to pass any point. Very flat. Not many roads for XC.
Apr 25, 2011, 10:32 PM
Thread OP
Hi Rick

Thanks for your recommendation.

For an important reply I will follow your advice.

I did manage to redo my typing I hope it helps some one.

Cheers jq
Apr 30, 2011, 10:57 PM
Hi Aussie john,

I am from the west and we have two working Gps units that we will aerotow with next weekend. We here in Perth have been bitten by the distance/scale bug as well. I will post any good/bad next Saturday and hopefully be able to one day have an

AUSGPSFEST.

It is a good system from what i can gather and the information that the device allows you to extract is unbelievable.
May 01, 2011, 11:20 AM
yyz
yyz
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerowiz
Hi Aussie john,

I am from the west and we have two working Gps units that we will aerotow with next weekend. We here in Perth have been bitten by the distance/scale bug as well. I will post any good/bad next Saturday and hopefully be able to one day have an

AUSGPSFEST.

It is a good system from what i can gather and the information that the device allows you to extract is unbelievable.
Fantastic. How about starting a new thread for the event? I'm sure a bunch of folks would be interested in following this.

Mike

Quick Reply