Mar 14, 2011, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf testpilot
Would you really want to take the risk of handing grandma a laptop that the manufacturer states is going to puff and not last long given the way that most people treat electronics these days? I dont know why anyone is surprised, people like cheap stuff so why not this. Give it a month, you will see the numerous posts to the effect I have been using these in xyz application with x number of cycles and had no problems at all. Right along side the I bought these crappy batteries and they puffed after 3 cycles threads. You really do get what you pay for.
I dont think they are going to puff. They have covered otheir bases though by saying....Hey, these are B grade lipos so dont try and rip 45c from them. Although it was originally intended to be a 45c battery. there will be a market for this stuff just not sure it will be in my planes. There might be a market for people with scale boats, sail boats, gliders mabey and other NON rc stuff
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2011, 04:02 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Boats is what I was thinking, something you just have to chase after when it gets away. And other non RC stuff possibly. But personally I would never use a lipo,especially a lesser quality one in any consumer electronic device. There is just to much risk.
Mar 14, 2011, 04:52 PM
Interesting video:

A & B Grade Lithium Polymer Cells sorting. (0 min 53 sec)
Mar 14, 2011, 06:11 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
Perhaps HK needs to explain how I found a 140mah spread in a new (one charge) 20C Turnigy 3S pack last week?

Rick
Mar 14, 2011, 06:25 PM
Space Coast USA
I guess you guys forgot that PolyQuests spec for their cells was ~50 cycles at max continuous current. I really doubt any manufacturers pack will go 50 cycles at max continuous current, and how many of us fly full out for 2 min flights anyhow?
Mar 14, 2011, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf testpilot
But personally I would never use a lipo,especially a lesser quality one in any consumer electronic device. There is just to much risk.
This doesn't seem very easy though that was a good safety concern. Fact is lipos are EVERYWHERE inside consumer electronics, cell phones, iPhones, GameBoys, PSPs, iPads, some cameras, toys, iPods, media players, camp lights, Walki-Talkies, GPSes...... It's really hard to stay completely away from lipos.
Mar 14, 2011, 06:54 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Most consumer electronics use li-ion, not lipo. And the ones that do have built in protection circuitry. Replacing a li-ion pack that has built in charge and balance circuits with a hobby grade lipo is not a good idea.
Mar 14, 2011, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
I guess you guys forgot that PolyQuests spec for their cells was ~50 cycles at max continuous current. I really doubt any manufacturers pack will go 50 cycles at max continuous current, and how many of us fly full out for 2 min flights anyhow?
That was true some years back, I still have some datasheets saying this downloaded from their website. They claimed their v2 doubles cycle life, though datasheet was always in "coming soon" status for years until they are gone. And Hyperion increased this number to "4x" as a main benefit advertising their "G3" about 3 years ago.
Mar 14, 2011, 07:42 PM
Space Coast USA
The point I was making was that not too many years ago that 50 cycle spec was for a premium battery. Whether a B pack will go 50 cycles, I do not know, but if it did, they ain't all bad.

Was that 4X at full rated continuous output? Come to think of it, I asked that question and the answer I got back was no, it's under normal flight conditions as nobody operates at maximum continuous current.
Mar 14, 2011, 08:09 PM
Agreed. Without a normalized standard those direct numeric games mean nothing but advs.
Mar 14, 2011, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Video explaining A & B cells
Right, so they're just the product of their quality control procedures. You're buying factory seconds.

Problem solved. Brilliant.

- boingk
Mar 14, 2011, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk
Right, so they're just the product of their quality control procedures. You're buying factory seconds.

Problem solved. Brilliant.

- boingk
Mabey they shoudl have called them that in the first place
Mar 14, 2011, 11:27 PM
Yeah, might've helped haha. Cheers - boingk
Mar 15, 2011, 02:25 AM
Thread OP
How we know HK normal pack is not use B grade cell?
By the way ,we should know which is more expensive ,plane or battery ,why we choose B grade battery ? The loss will outweighs the gain . Keep away from B grade.
Mar 15, 2011, 02:56 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
With some packs I only make 5 cycles or 10 cycles a year.
I also have to work and in total I have 15 planes...

So from that point...a pack that makes only 60cycles is no problem.

But their other packs are affordable and great in quality.
Still, you can catch a bad item at HobbyCity. I also receieved a pack with a cell that 0volt. That never could have happend during shipping. They simply did not check the pack, before it left HobbyCity

Quick Reply