New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:19 AM
falcbenry is offline
Find More Posts by falcbenry
Registered User
Discussion

Who's got Great planes SIREN ?


Folks, Im planning to buy SIREN Hotliner and Im very excited to get a brushless system for it. but the recommended power system costs about 300 dollars and Im trying to match something up from Hobbyking.com
Has anyone done this please, so you can advice me with the proper equivalent?
the recommended power system is Kontronik :
http://aeromicro.com/catalog/kontron...et_4311526.htm

It simply doesnt fit into my budget,,, I have to find a more reasonable equivalent.
Appreciate your help.
Thanks.
Ben.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:15 AM
Andy W is offline
Find More Posts by Andy W
Registered User
Andy W's Avatar
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356191
Many people have used alternate power systems. Problem is the narrow width of the nose, but it can be done!
..a
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:32 AM
tkallev is offline
Find More Posts by tkallev
LSF303-AMA Fellow
tkallev's Avatar
I know you said Hobby King but for options to fit in the highly tapered nose, take a gander at Hyperion outrunners ... they have a tapered front end that eases the nose situation.

IMHO, Hobby King is fine for toy-level parkflyers and the like, but is mostly junk, copied/ripped off from manufacturers who stand behind their products with poorly made knock-offs.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:23 PM
falcbenry is offline
Find More Posts by falcbenry
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
I know you said Hobby King but for options to fit in the highly tapered nose, take a gander at Hyperion outrunners ... they have a tapered front end that eases the nose situation.

IMHO, Hobby King is fine for toy-level parkflyers and the like, but is mostly junk, copied/ripped off from manufacturers who stand behind their products with poorly made knock-offs.

Could you please send me a link of the motor you are suggesting.
Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:28 PM
tkallev is offline
Find More Posts by tkallev
LSF303-AMA Fellow
tkallev's Avatar

Hyperion Glider Motor Link


Sure thing:

http://www.empirerc.com/brushless-mo...15_60_164.html

Nice motors!

tk
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:58 AM
ronhowell is offline
Find More Posts by ronhowell
Retired Aero Engineer
ronhowell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
I know you said Hobby King but for options to fit in the highly tapered nose, take a gander at Hyperion outrunners ... they have a tapered front end that eases the nose situation.

IMHO, Hobby King is fine for toy-level parkflyers and the like, but is mostly junk, copied/ripped off from manufacturers who stand behind their products with poorly made knock-offs.
Well, that is one opinion I suppose, but based in my experience with Great Planes Siren ARF it does not deserve spending money on the better quality motors.
The Siren I received had sub-standard assembly and the worst covering job I have encountered ... I spent hours simply re-finishing the thing to a standard I could tolerate. I ended up using an in-runner from Hobby King (a Turnigy 540L V-Spec w/impeller) which is a close fit in the Siren nose. Lack of a hatch makes the whole power-train assy difficult in the Siren, the TE's are 1/8" thick (!) and I suspect the airfoil section, supposedly an RG-15 is not exactly Hi-Fi!

You get what you pay for, and the Siren is cheap. Lack of a rudder and an undersized fin generates side-slip and skid-prone turns, unless you honk the drag bucket in high-g turns. Don't expect much thermalling ability either, unless you hit real boomers en-route.

Bottom line .... you pays your money and you takes your choice.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:57 AM
Evan D is offline
Find More Posts by Evan D
Registered User
Evan D's Avatar
I totally disagree. You have to think about what you buy from them but they have some really good things at really good prices. True yuo'll get a bad item now and then but at 1/4 of the price of a similar name brand item I can live with that.

Some of the items that I really like from them are their LiPos, specifically Turnigy, Flight Max, Zippy, and Rhino brands, clone and compatable 2.4 Spektrum receivers, chargers, power supplys, LiPo battery checkers, servo extensions and "Y"s, their clone Deans "T" connectors, Turnigy ESC's and certain Turnigy motors.

Use their reviews section and ask questions on the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
IMHO, Hobby King is fine for toy-level parkflyers and the like, but is mostly junk, copied/ripped off from manufacturers who stand behind their products with poorly made knock-offs.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:00 AM
Evan D is offline
Find More Posts by Evan D
Registered User
Evan D's Avatar
Ron, to be fair it is marketed as a hotliner not a thermal sailplane. Most hotliners don't hava rudder, and won't thermal unless a big boomer comes over. But I have to agree with the quality issues, Everyone I have seen posted about has structural and cosmetic issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhowell View Post
Well, that is one opinion I suppose, but based in my experience with Great Planes Siren ARF it does not deserve spending money on the better quality motors.
The Siren I received had sub-standard assembly and the worst covering job I have encountered ... I spent hours simply re-finishing the thing to a standard I could tolerate. I ended up using an in-runner from Hobby King (a Turnigy 540L V-Spec w/impeller) which is a close fit in the Siren nose. Lack of a hatch makes the whole power-train assy difficult in the Siren, the TE's are 1/8" thick (!) and I suspect the airfoil section, supposedly an RG-15 is not exactly Hi-Fi!

You get what you pay for, and the Siren is cheap. Lack of a rudder and an undersized fin generates side-slip and skid-prone turns, unless you honk the drag bucket in high-g turns. Don't expect much thermalling ability either, unless you hit real boomers en-route.

Bottom line .... you pays your money and you takes your choice.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 01:43 PM
falcbenry is offline
Find More Posts by falcbenry
Registered User
Thanks guys for all your input,
Do you mind me asking what ESC did you use with that motor you bought from Hobbyking ?
Ben.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:29 PM
ronhowell is offline
Find More Posts by ronhowell
Retired Aero Engineer
ronhowell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcbenry View Post
Thanks guys for all your input,
Do you mind me asking what ESC did you use with that motor you bought from Hobbyking ?
Ben.
I am using a Turnigy Plush 60A ESC purchased from Hobby King with the 540L V-Spec motor. I like the cooling impeller that is designed into this motor. Together this combo cost me $32.85 plus $23.99 for the motor, running off a 2200 mAh Turnigy 3S LiPo pack. So far I'm well satisfied with this setup.

I agree with Evan D that, while Hobby King products vary considerably in terms of quality, their main brands (Turnigy, Rhino, HXT) seem to be good value, if price is an important consideration.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Now it's AARP's turn ... who's got a spare waiver? logan5 Life, The Universe, and Politics 4 Nov 05, 2010 01:41 PM
For Sale Great Planes Siren RTF Package Deal teachnewrcflyers Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 7 Sep 26, 2010 06:56 PM
Yippee! Who's got some new planes going into the flying season? Scarlett Parkflyers 46 Sep 01, 2010 08:17 AM
Wanted who's got planes in the WA state area for sale? cryhavoc38 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 May 19, 2009 08:17 PM
Question ~20oz Balsa 3D Planes- Who's got em? infinitemotors 3D Flying 15 Oct 25, 2008 09:57 AM