63" BlitzWorks P51D Mustang / Banana Hobby - HELP - RC Groups
Mar 12, 2011, 04:04 PM
Discussion

63" BlitzWorks P51D Mustang / Banana Hobby - HELP

Hi Guys,
I spent a few days getting this new bird ready for spring. Quality seems good for $200. I finally was able to test the motor w/ prop installed and have a problem. I'm not sure if it's the motor or speed controller (or both).

Here's the situation. I was able to run the motor up a few times - about 50 to 60% throttle and everything seemed fine. Then at around 50% throttle the motor would cut out and just stop after 3-5 seconds - motor gave out a crunching sound but after powering down the plane I was surprised to see that the motor still spun freely.

I unplugged the battery and restarted the system and same thing - power cut out at anything more than 50% throttle and would make some slight crunching sounds. The speed controller just started a continuous beeping after one of these power cut-outs (no power) with any throttle.

Then as I was about to shoot this video I was surprised to see that the motor would just twitch with any amount of throttle.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I don’t know if I should just buy a new motor AND speed controller.

Does anyone else have this plane?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEWL4QTE1Nw

-Josh
Last edited by jdwphotos.com; Mar 12, 2011 at 06:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2011, 08:00 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Looks like you have lost a leg. Check the connections from the esc to the motor(wire may have come loose or a bad solder joint)
May 29, 2011, 01:08 AM
Hi, I received this very plane (gunfighter scheme) as a gift and had this same problem except mine would run just under half throttle any higher it would sound like it was hit in battle lol. I cut the wrapping off the esc and saw that one of the capacitors looked burnt and the receiver lead had some black suet on it, I think this may be my problem. check for anything burnt.
May 29, 2011, 04:19 AM
definitely the esc or solder joints. check them. I'm interested to see what the issue is.
Oct 21, 2011, 01:18 PM

63" BlitzWorks P51D Mustang / Banana Hobby - HELP

I was wondering what CG works best. The manual states 110mm, but IMO it is way to far forward. I would say the guys over sea's must really like a nose heavy planes. From building plans for over thirty years. I would say it should be closer to the main landing gear and in front of the main spar.

I just finished building the plane, I thought a PNP would go faster but I was correcting several items as I was building. I would have taken pictures of the build but its pretty straight forward. The manual is no help at all in building this plane. The little 1/2in square photos in the manual don't really help a builder
Apr 07, 2012, 03:26 PM
Has anybody figured out the esc programming. Want to turn brake off. ESC is a Top Flite 80a. Thanks