Mar 12, 2011, 11:28 AM
Multicopter AP centric
Thread OP
Discussion

Multicopter Flight Controller Comparison Chart

I think most people are a bit overwhelmed by the choices out there for flight controllers, it is difficult to make comparison, ... or narrow down choices. I have created a Googledocs file comparing flight controllers. Everyone should be able to edit it. I recognize that a feature comparison is only a partial story for making decisions but at some point folks may want particular features and this is a quick way to see a comparison at a glance. If you are hesitant about how to use the application submit the information here as a reply and I will try to take care of the update. The easiest to update is copy good cells from else where on the sheet and paste - then color and input gets pasted in correctly.

Flight Controller Comparison Chart

I have used the link below as a basis for the information. This is fairly out of date so I thought we could update the information on the Googledocs file rather than here.
http://multicopter.org/wiki/Multicopter_Table

If it gets too out of control, I will turn off public editing and do the updates myself.

Any chance of making this a sticky so it stays at the top.
Last edited by mbsteed; Mar 12, 2011 at 01:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2011, 10:43 PM
Multicopter AP centric
Thread OP
No one interested in this?

Anyone know what DSL acronym means - in term of sensors?

What about GPS Fly By?
Last edited by mbsteed; Mar 12, 2011 at 10:53 PM.
Mar 12, 2011, 11:30 PM
Hi
I have just had a look at it and it is a good idea
jamie
Mar 13, 2011, 12:01 AM
Good idea.

One question: Under flight modes, what is autohoovering?

Here, where I am from, Hoovering is pertaining to vacuum cleaners.(Hoover). Helicopters Hover.
Mar 13, 2011, 12:57 AM
aka Helidaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsteed
I think most people are a bit overwhelmed by the choices out there for flight controllers, it is difficult to make comparison, ... or narrow down choices. I have created a Googledocs file comparing flight controllers. Everyone should be able to edit it. I recognize that a feature comparison is only a partial story for making decisions but at some point folks may want particular features and this is a quick way to see a comparison at a glance. If you are hesitant about how to use the application submit the information here as a reply and I will try to take care of the update. The easiest to update is copy good cells from else where on the sheet and paste - then color and input gets pasted in correctly.

Flight Controller Comparison Chart

I have used the link below as a basis for the information. This is fairly out of date so I thought we could update the information on the Googledocs file rather than here.
http://multicopter.org/wiki/Multicopter_Table

If it gets too out of control, I will turn off public editing and do the updates myself.

Any chance of making this a sticky so it stays at the top.

HOLY COW this is FANTASTIC!!!! Excellent work, thank you very much for putting this together.

+1 on making this a sticky!

You put a ton of work into this, I had no idea so many controllers were out there. I like all the details as well, lots of things I wouldn't even have thought of. Very helpful information.
Mar 13, 2011, 03:00 AM
Multirotor Builder!!!!!
This will help all the newbees just getting into multicopters. great work.
Mar 13, 2011, 03:24 AM
Needs more bacon!
Nice work! Great to be able to see a general overview of all the different boards.

Maybe it will motivate some board creators to get the GPS checkmarks.
Mar 13, 2011, 03:40 AM
Very usefull and helpfull,thank you.
Mar 13, 2011, 08:26 AM
OS Sponsor
I think some entries need to be expanded. I.e. Aeroquad and MultiWii support many more flight controllers than listed there.

Also: what exactly is meant by "flight controller"?
Most FCs I know don't have sensors on board but need to be equipped with a sensor board via bobs.

So ... if a flight conroller has no sensors on board you usually would say "optional" for some sensors in the list. The crux is: you can't fly without gyros - they are simply not "optional" though they're not on the fc.

I can't help with the DSL acronym (Dynamic System Language, Definitive Software Library?) but the GPS is "Fly by click", not "fly by". Not 100% sure but I guess it means the activation through a switch.

I added some info for the Arducopter btw.
Mar 13, 2011, 08:36 AM
Jose Angel
Superb!
Mar 13, 2011, 09:42 AM
checkout my Blog

bby is

Mbsteed,

Nice work! That obviously took a lot of time to accumulate. Jim should link to this from his sticky thread. Future upkeep will determine how useful your work really is. Right now, as a snapshot in time, it is very useful; especially if you can help people sort through the Arduino variants. The rate of change in this hobby is very fast because we have an intellectual "critical mass" unseen in many pursuits. This rate of change and the failure of many projects to keep up on the documentation side of things is what prevents some good projects from gaining traction. Someone above mentioned needing further explanations. Right-clicking on a particular cell allows one to insert a comment which I believe pops-up during a mouse-over. I didn't try it for fear of corrupting your work. Which brings me to another question in general regarding Google Spreadsheets; does the originator always have access to a recent autoback-up copy?

Dan
Last edited by otlski; Mar 13, 2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: BTW I have no idea how the 'bby is' got in my post
Mar 13, 2011, 09:42 AM
Great work man, thank you, this is so useful. I vote to make it a sticky.
Mar 13, 2011, 01:48 PM
Is it possible to save the document and open it in excel? By the way this is a great idea and very helpful. Sticky for sure.

NVM got it.
Mar 13, 2011, 04:25 PM
Nice initiative.

I think DSL refers to the 4 channels DSL receiver which is able to output a serial sum PPM. It was the advised PPM sum receiver for mikrokopter.
So in this context, DSL = PPM sum receiver
Mar 13, 2011, 05:13 PM
Suspended Account
downloaded your work as a pdf thank you will download it every now andthento see the extra info that gets added

Quick Reply