View Poll Results: What values have you seen on rudder channel centering on your DX8? ("monitor" screen)
Always 0% 30 29.41%
Generally 1-2% 28 27.45%
Sometimes 3-5% 8 7.84%
Variable, sometimes 6-10% 5 4.90%
Variable, on occasion >10% 31 30.39%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools
Mar 11, 2011, 03:36 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Poll

Spektrum DX8 | Rudder and/or Aileron Channel Centering Poll


I am keen to understand more about rudder and/or aileron channel centering on the DX8. I have been having issues with this (and the aileron channel), and want to see how widespread this is (ie: the center value is >1% off).

The poll above is about the % variation that DX8 owners are seeing. You can find the centering values on the "monitor" screen.

Please also post about any large variations you may have had in flight or in testing. I have seen up to a 12% variation in the rudder channel centering (which tends to be an issue with a FBL system).

thoughts on experiences appreciated.

UPDATE: Found a few YouTube videos of various symptoms (not mine):
-
Sektrum DX8 Rudder Issue! (0 min 34 sec)

-
Spektrum Dx8 with problem in Rudder Channel (1 min 1 sec)

-
dx8 rudder vibration issue (1 min 23 sec)

-
Dx8 Rudder glitch (1 min 0 sec)

-
Spektrum DX8 Aileron channel failure (0 min 47 sec)
(aileron)
-
dx8 rudder and ail not centered on monitor (0 min 53 sec)

-
dx8.wmv (1 min 47 sec)

-
DX8 rudder pot failure? (0 min 33 sec)

-
Spektrum DX8 - "Self-centering" rudder stick (0 min 55 sec)

-
DX8 rudder fail (0 min 38 sec)

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkgP8aZ5-Ok (aileron)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_UND-bF9ok (aileron)
-
Spektrum DX8 problem.mpg (4 min 48 sec)

-
DX8 aileron glitch (1 min 30 sec)
aileron
-
DX8 Rudder problem (0 min 28 sec)



From the Dx8 manual:
MONITOR
The Monitor screen displays the servo positions for each channel graphically and numerically. This is useful to verify programming functions, trim settings, mix directions, etc. The numeric value is directly relative to the travel adjust and mix values (e.g., 100% travel adjust equals 100% value in the Monitor).
To Access the Monitor screen
With the transmitter on and the main or telemetry screen displayed, press the roller. The Function list will display.Rotate the roller to highlight Monitor then press to access.
Last edited by boltor; Jul 13, 2011 at 05:11 AM. Reason: added some new youtube video
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2011, 06:40 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
-99% / 0% / 99% .
Always Zero /0% even when releasing the things from full deflection it always returns to full center or 0%..

This is a US/CND HC008X early version radio that went back to HH for the Un-commanded servo issue and also got the RF ugrade at the same time possibly for DSMX.

Using latest AirWare 2.01v Rudder and all channel are centered all the time at 0%
Mar 11, 2011, 09:15 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
-99% / 0% / 99% .
Always Zero /0% even when releasing the things from full deflection it always returns to full center or 0%..

This is a US/CND HC008X early version radio that went back to HH for the Un-commanded servo issue and also got the RF ugrade at the same time possibly for DSMX.

Using latest AirWare 2.01v Rudder and all channel are centered all the time at 0%
lets swap radios!
Mar 11, 2011, 11:50 PM
Google 'Blade 400 bible'
Slyster's Avatar
Yeah.. really tough we even have to do this poll. Mine was fine for 2 months.. then yesterday I couldn't fly for 10-15 minutes until the rudder finally centered after me messing around with the stick and flicking it etc. If this -18% left rudder shows up again I am sending my DX8 in.. thankfully I saved my DX7.
Mar 12, 2011, 12:03 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster
Yeah.. really tough we even have to do this poll. Mine was fine for 2 months.. then yesterday I couldn't fly for 10-15 minutes until the rudder finally centered after me messing around with the stick and flicking it etc. If this -18% left rudder shows up again I am sending my DX8 in.. thankfully I saved my DX7.
yep, not good. -18% is pretty significant (I had 8-12%). Good luck, hope it stays at 0%.
Mar 12, 2011, 01:17 AM
Registered User
Switch_639's Avatar
mine is -1 sometimes on rudder and aeleron... then I just fling the stick and release so it vibrates and it centers to 0...
Mar 12, 2011, 06:15 AM
Registered User
GoneFusion's Avatar
They say this is due to loose wires on the pots in the Tx.

I am leaning to thinking the actual pots are just too cheap to be reliable.

Its just getting better and better for Spektrum & HH.

I now KNOW this Tx is faulty. I said id prove it.
Mar 12, 2011, 06:17 AM
Registered User
Kambalunga's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch_639
mine is -1 sometimes on rudder and aeleron... then I just fling the stick and release so it vibrates and it centers to 0...
Increase a little the spring tension this should solve your problem.

Then subtrimms and mixes alter the centerpoints in the monitor screen.

Look in a clean model memory servo monitor. Is there no offset then is your TX alright.
Mar 12, 2011, 06:21 AM
Build, Fly, Maintain, Repeat..
mirored's Avatar
My radio was fine for many months, then I started noticing rudder jitter, thought it was a bad servo. This was on my PA Addiction, which pronounced the movement because of the large throws. I replaced the servo and it continued to happen periodically. I didn't think to look at the monitor screen at that time. I had a nice weather day a few weeks ago and took out my PA MX. The first two flights were ok, the last one ended up a hand full. It kept wanting to turn right and I had to fight it to the left and it would settle out until I moved the ailerons again. I fought it to the ground and landed safely, 33 years of flying experience paid off that day. I tested it right after the flight and the ailerons would stay right after moving them. Since they are seperate servos on seperate channels, it had to be the radio feeding the signal. I checked the monitor and found it off by 18%. Andy said to send it in, I did, I got back a radio with new gimbles and DSMX screen (bonus). I have flown with the radio numerous times since, no issues yet. Today is going to be great flying weather, I plan on flying the snot out of the planes. I suspect I will have no problems.

I hope my problems are over. I haave sent my radio back twice and swapped batteries with HH numerous times to get it right. I am very pleased with their service, turn around time is excellent. It would have been nice to get a perfect radio up front, maybe I drew the short straw for once, my turn. But, all is good... great radio overall!
Mar 12, 2011, 06:25 AM
Registered User
Kambalunga's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltor
I am keen to understand more about rudder and/or aileron channel centering on the DX8. I have been having issues with this (and the aileron channel), and want to see how widespread this is (ie: the center value is >1% off).

The poll above is about the % variation that DX8 owners are seeing. You can find the centering values on the "monitor" screen.

Please also post about any large variations you may have had in flight or in testing. I have seen up to a 12% variation in the rudder channel centering (which tends to be an issue with a FBL system).

thoughts on experiences appreciated.
First need your FBL heli a proper mechanical adjustment.
FBL don't like subtrimm and trimm. Trimms and subtrimms caused the offset what you see in the servo monitor.
Mar 12, 2011, 06:30 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambalunga
First need your FBL heli a proper mechanical adjustment.
FBL don't like subtrimm and trimm. Trimms and subtrimms caused the offset what you see in the servo monitor.
thanks. Yes, I spent much time on the mechanical setup (as I always do on my helis). Pretty happy with where it got to.

Yes, I always double check for zero trim and sub-trim. One good feature of the DX8 is to be able to inhibit the trim (by setting the trim steps to 0).

Anyway, very confident that there was no trim or sub-trim. In any case, the amount of the centre offset varied (ie: not constant).
Mar 12, 2011, 06:57 AM
Registered User
You can check in the D/R menu. It's interresting because you can see the value before to apply D/R and expo.

For all chanels except aileron i have +/-1 or 2. It's not very important because with expo the result value is 0 (but of course it will better if it was 0). With the aileron it's a nightmare. It was better a time with stronger spring's set up, but the problem is coming back.

dx8 (0 min 34 sec)


I noticed a -23 value !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in aileron chanel before the expo. Unbelievable...
Last edited by furien; Mar 12, 2011 at 07:30 AM.
Mar 12, 2011, 08:48 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
You clearly have issues with the radio so just contact HH (I hope you did this before posting here) and sned them the radio. If you are un-happy with the product this is something to take up with THEM.
Mar 12, 2011, 08:55 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
You clearly have issues with the radio so just contact HH (I hope you did this before posting here) and sned them the radio. If you are un-happy with the product this is something to take up with THEM.
I did it of course. But it's probably not the only radio with this problem. It's the reason why i posted it here.

Note: In D/R menu the left value is before expo and trim. Then it's a good place to check if all is ok.

I had more than 400 flights with my Dx8, then i like it freechip. And i'm sad...
Mar 12, 2011, 08:57 AM
Registered User
Switch_639's Avatar
if I start experiencing all of this I'm gonna @#%# my pants! I am not prepared to send mine back to horizon... its not the way things are suppose to work... once a product gets sent out it must be flawless bug free... else they should have stuck it out one more year and make it problem free... I am big spektrum fan, only owned spektrum... but this is getting ridiculous... and its not like I payed cheap for this remote...


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Rudder servo not centering lgetc Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 3 May 24, 2010 12:28 PM
Question rudder servo centering? Riktar Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 13 Jun 17, 2009 05:10 AM
Discussion Rudder Double Centering georgeg Thermal 17 Jun 12, 2008 11:04 AM
Discussion Centering a Rudder Servo Xptical Mini Helis 2 May 10, 2007 10:41 PM
Centering of Slow Stick Rudder? BirdFlyer Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 2 Jun 02, 2005 10:36 AM