Feb 07, 2013, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger
I think it was Fire who told us a while ago that the best (lightest and cheapest) way to waterproof them was a TicTac box with the lens end of the box (end that doesn't come off to slide the camera in) replaced with a piece of glass held on with shoegoo.
^ This! I will just add that you need to waterproof the cap and snap lid somehow. I glued the snap lid shut and put a tiny rubber band around the sealing part of the cap. Works great, but test yours with no camera first before you dunk it!

My youtube channel definitely owes its start to the keychain cam!

Here is March 6th, 2011: The day that shall live in infamy!
NQD Jet Maiden (2 min 18 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2013, 09:07 PM
Also, I dont think they've realized it yet, but the University where I work seems to be building me my own personal jet boating creek, right outside my building! Now I know what I'll be doing on my lunch breaks!
Feb 07, 2013, 11:27 PM
And, to top it all off, turns out there IS a full scale version of what we do with the crawlers!

mountain jet boating 2011 (6 min 32 sec)

mountain jet boating day trip (5 min 42 sec)
Last edited by Firehawk989; Feb 07, 2013 at 11:34 PM.
Feb 08, 2013, 12:54 AM
that's it firehawk, thats exactly what i am building! hopefully starting this time next year. wife already approved it haha!
Feb 08, 2013, 03:47 AM
Here's a vid of those little boats first being made/tested

Jet Dinghy, Build and test, NZ (6 min 44 sec)
Feb 08, 2013, 05:46 AM
Haha, wow! didn't think they'd actually be cruising into and through the rocks like that. Those hulls must take a beating! That's awesome!
Feb 08, 2013, 08:05 AM
Teriffic vids Fire and Nitro. Now the Uni is building you a playspace on campus, Fire, your next problem will be persuading them to come up with a research grant to fund your lunchtime studies!!
Btw, of course I know the derivation, but whenever I hear the phrase 'day which shall live in infamy' I always think of Kenneth Williams as Julius Caesar in the 'Carry On Caesar' comedy movie. When he's stabbed he shouts "Infamy, infamy. They've all got it in for me".

Scub. Understanding wife. Or perhaps she's thinking about the insurance money if it all goes tits-up on the river. Is your life cover up-to-date

T, now you know how to organize your rescue facities. An r/c helicopter to mirror the way the sunken boat was retrieved in the first of Fire's vids
Last edited by madbugger; Feb 08, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Feb 08, 2013, 08:55 AM
they use a "plastic" coating under the hull to make them slide over everything, doesn't protect, just slides! this is short but one of my faves!
this is way better in full screen. and this boat is a lot larger then a dinghy haha.

KingFisher (Harbercraft) 1775 XD "Nothing but Rock 2" (2 min 54 sec)
Feb 08, 2013, 09:10 AM
It looks like it works pretty well on them! Where can I get that COATING? EDIT Check Below!
KingFisher (Harbercraft) 1775 XD "Water Optional 2" (3 min 53 sec)
!

For all of you in US and Canada that need one badly -----> http://www.gibbonsmotortoys.com/gibbons/index.php

John

*****I just found some of the secrets for the hull coating on
Wickipedia
Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene (UHMWPE, UHMW) is a subset of the thermoplastic polyethylene. Also known as high-modulus polyethylene, (HMPE), or high-performance polyethylene (HPPE), it has extremely long chains, with a molecular weight usually between 2 and 6 million. The longer chain serves to transfer load more effectively to the polymer backbone by strengthening intermolecular interactions. This results in a very tough material, with the highest impact strength of any thermoplastic presently made.[1]

UHMWPE is odorless, tasteless, and nontoxic.[2] It is highly resistant to corrosive chemicals except oxidizing acids; has extremely low moisture absorption and a very low coefficient of friction; is self-lubricating; and is highly resistant to abrasion, in some forms being 15 times more resistant to abrasion than carbon steel. Its coefficient of friction is significantly lower than that of nylon and acetal, and is comparable to that of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE, Teflon), but UHMWPE has better abrasion resistance than PTFE.[3][4]

******* I just found some for sale in sheets, rods, and extruded shapes http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/def...aign=usplastic
And in .060 sheets that could be cut into strips for some reinforcement on the bottom of our hulls at
http://www.interstateplastics.com/Na...calculate.y=16

It's sure not cheap and I would prefer to find a way to use it more like a paintable coating, but it's a start!
Last edited by jgestner; Feb 08, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
Feb 08, 2013, 10:50 AM
Those boats are just incredible, the vids are great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger
T, now you know how to organize your rescue facities. An r/c helicopter to mirror the way the sunken boat was retrieved in the first of Fire's vids
Mad, it just so happens I took ownership of a new quadcopter yesterday!

Although I think it's a bit small

Notice I also got Steve's roll cage fitted. It's great looking. I must again applaud you Mad for fitting that with one hand. I nearly tossed the bloody thing out the window when trying to sort it!
Feb 08, 2013, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiernan85
Those boats are just incredible, the vids are great!

Notice I also got Steve's roll cage fitted. It's great looking. I must again applaud you Mad for fitting that with one hand. I nearly tossed the bloody thing out the window when trying to sort it!

Love your new toys! Great Job! I get one stock NQD today and one stripped and with all hop up parts on Monday, can't wait.

I did find it invaluable, even in my livingroom flying to add a couple of orientation cues to my little bitty mini flying toy.

John in Merrill
Feb 08, 2013, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Just a bit. In fact you'd need a pretty big eggbeater to lift an NQD. As you gathered it was just a joke (unless someone knows different). I've never been into helis, but I might have joined in the quadcopter phenomenon if I still had two arms. Seem like fun.

In fact, one of my buddies has just bought me a Mode1 Tx off ebay (have always been a Mode2 pilot) and once I've got a Tx tray (another first for me) I'm going to try flying one of my electrogliders when summer comes, just letting go of the left joystick long enough to work the righthand throttle. We'll see if it's feasible to teach an old dog a new trick.. Not the kind of aerobatic flight I'm used to, but if it works it will be better than nothing. Need to get airborne again some way.
Feb 08, 2013, 12:35 PM
Suspended Account
Fire, great work..BUT, how you rate for the private stream..

T, boat looks way good now..

Mad, used to use a tray when I flew pattern and pylon, they help a bunch, takes out the body english that naturally happens..

Scub, great vid..
Feb 08, 2013, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Well, there's two ways of doing it. If you assembled it all and then tried to fit it on the boat, that's the hard way. There is a (slightly) easier way.
Feb 08, 2013, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago
Mad, used to use a tray when I flew pattern and pylon, they help a bunch, takes out the body english that naturally happens..
I always figured the body english was mandatory. How else you going to influence it to obey when it's about to crash. Seriously, I may find I need some body english to move my hand between sticks, and a tray may hamper that. But I've got used to using a simple one of my own design (for left stick pedalling only) , in order to do boats. The one I'll need for aircraft will need to be a bit more advanced. But it's the only way I'll be able to fly, if at all. So we'll see.
Last edited by madbugger; Feb 08, 2013 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply