Thread Tools
Jan 29, 2013, 12:52 PM
Registered User
madbugger's Avatar
[QUOTE=7car7;23960120]Now I'm in search of a stainless steel mesh, OR, maybe putting twice as many carbon strips than what I already have.[QUOTE]
I would think stainless mesh or a grate as used on the Steve modded unit, or on Scub's very good home-brewed clone, would be better than more carbon. You don't want to starve the jet of water by putting too much in the way. Changing to the Graunper shaft might help. The plastic (a glass reinforced variety) is better than the NQD plastic. If none of that works, you either give up crawlin' (NO WAY) or accept the impellers have to be regarded as expendable. At least until someone comes up with an aftermarket stainless or bronze version
Last edited by madbugger; Jan 29, 2013 at 01:00 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2013, 01:00 PM
Suspended Account
Yup..but, a metal impeller will bend and destroy the housing at big rpm, so, keep impellers in stock..
Jan 29, 2013, 01:05 PM
Registered User
How about something like this? almost all of these are stainless and come in differing grid sizes
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/...-strainer.htmlName: strainer.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 13.1 KB
Description: Cheap Stainless mesh screen from a kitchen colander

John

For $3.99 you could screen 50 of these boats!
Jan 29, 2013, 01:16 PM
Registered User
madbugger's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago
Yup..but, a metal impeller will bend and destroy the housing at big rpm, so, keep impellers in stock..
Well, of course. But I'd assumed the same people who made the metal impellers would come up with a wear ring/scattershield as well but seriously (not a phrase that sits well in this thread) if we want to hoon about like Ken Block (on water) - and most of us do - it's a question of keeping impellers in stock.
Didn't you come up with a phrase about model or full-size jetdrives being a day on the water and a week in the garage
Last edited by madbugger; Jan 29, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
Jan 29, 2013, 01:54 PM
Registered User
7car7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner
How about something like this? almost all of these are stainless and come in differing grid sizes
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/...-strainer.htmlAttachment 5491471

John

For $3.99 you could screen 50 of these boats!

That's what I'm thinking. I'll check some out.
Jan 29, 2013, 02:36 PM
Suspended Account
Because the weather is nuts, and 65 out, a small part of my lake is thawed, here is a quicky of the nqd boat a hour ago..its on 4S now, and built to take that..seems to like it, VERY windy, to much chop for a top end try, need smooth water for that, but, the hole shot is great.. and, the rpm is waaay up there now, I'm likin that..nothin to really see, bunch of circles to see if any water getting in, it aint, which is good...I'm skirting the ice, as you can see..lol

Good news is that with the bottom re-config, its hooked better now, before it would cavitate very easy at any speed in that chop, so, a little more pad helped..

Now, wait for spring I guess, back in the freezer tomorrow nite, with snow coming.

DSCN2432 (1 min 17 sec)
Last edited by chidago; Jan 29, 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Jan 29, 2013, 02:41 PM
Suspended Account
This little lake is literally in my front yard, our subdivision is built with no roads at all to the front of the houses, all the fronts are into a park setting..with the lake at the center..no gassers tho..

a few on one of my blowboats, but, you can see the lake with no ice.
Jan 29, 2013, 02:59 PM
Registered User
madbugger's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago
Good news is that with the bottom re-config, its hooked better now, before it would cavitate very easy at any speed in that chop, so, a little more pad helped..
Lookin' good. Mods have obviously worked. But 65 today and snow tomorrow? What the is going on with the weather these days
Jan 29, 2013, 03:10 PM
Registered User
Hi Gang
here's my boat run site. We have 2 kinds of water here.

Soft water

and

Hard water

The hard water is in today.

John
Jan 29, 2013, 03:26 PM
Suspended Account
Yeah, John, fence lake is the same..hard or soft..
Jan 29, 2013, 03:38 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago
Because the weather is nuts, and 65 out, a small part of my lake is thawed, here is a quicky of the nqd boat a hour ago..its on 4S now, and built to take that..seems to like it, VERY windy, to much chop for a top end try, need smooth water for that, but, the hole shot is great.. and, the rpm is waaay up there now, I'm likin that..nothin to really see, bunch of circles to see if any water getting in, it aint, which is good...I'm skirting the ice, as you can see..lol

Good news is that with the bottom re-config, its hooked better now, before it would cavitate very easy at any speed in that chop, so, a little more pad helped..

Now, wait for spring I guess, back in the freezer tomorrow nite, with snow coming.

https://vimeo.com/58479534
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago
This little lake is literally in my front yard, our subdivision is built with no roads at all to the front of the houses, all the fronts are into a park setting..with the lake at the center..no gassers tho..

a few on one of my blowboats, but, you can see the lake with no ice.
Is that Little manmade lake small enough that you never need a chase boat?
If I didn't have a chase boat, I'd be chasin to New Orleans to pick up my "Toys"

John
Jan 29, 2013, 04:26 PM
Suspended Account
lol..have a full blown tug that deploys bouys, retrieves em, and grabs boats of all type..

The little tow behind is patterned off of the proboat duck towable..its a walmart $1 toy canoe..it hooks anything, rudders, drives, etc..the drop arms on the tug will also grab blowboat keels.
Jan 29, 2013, 04:40 PM
Suspended Account
The kmb needs more..a bimini would be PERFECT..any ideas, guys? to be really good, it needs joints in the arms..aint figured THAT out yet..

Tubes can be done with scale aluminum tubing, but, no good way to solder em together I have found..
Jan 29, 2013, 04:45 PM
Registered User
madbugger's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner
Hi Gang
here's my boat run site. We have 2 kinds of water here.
Not on topic (but that's never dissuaded anyone here - thank god) but I noticed the bird feeder in the 2nd pic. What kinds of birds do you get at this time of year
Jan 29, 2013, 05:22 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger
Not on topic (but that's never dissuaded anyone here - thank god) but I noticed the bird feeder in the 2nd pic. What kinds of birds do you get at this time of year
Cardinals, Bluejays, 3 kinds of Grossbeaks, along with all the Goldfinches and nuthatches and the usual assortment of Sparrows, Woodpeckers, Morning Doves. They all seem to disappear whenever the Eagles and Hawks fly over.

It's fun, and a bit wild when it's a bear at the feeder.

I can still use the airboat on the hard water and I have 3 planes that can be adjusted for hard water use too. The problem with the hard water is that the guy on the sticks is getting soft in his old age and doesn't like his fingers getting frost burned as much as he used to.

I swear I will be Jet Boating when the water gets softer again outside my living room window.

John in Merrill


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log My NQD "Tear Into" build thread. wparsons Racing Boats - Electric 69 Feb 17, 2016 08:47 PM
Wanted Anyone have a NQD Tear into jet boat kicking around? Energy Boats (FS/W) 3 Mar 22, 2011 07:41 PM
Discussion Brushless NQD torn into jet boat mortonj69 Micro and Sub-Micro Boats 3 Feb 14, 2011 07:02 AM
Discussion Brushless NQD torn into jet boat mortonj69 Racing Boats - Electric 3 Oct 16, 2010 06:40 PM
New Product NQD Tear Into Jet Boats rcnz Dock Talk 1 Jul 14, 2010 06:48 PM