Mar 11, 2011, 09:15 AM
RC pilot by soul
Thread OP
Discussion

Turnigy ski goggles hack thread

Hey guys,

Thought i would post this for those of you who are interested in doing the same.

I got my Turnigy 340x240 goggles a little while ago and since i wanted to install them in a ski goggles, i thought i would hack them.

So first step was to cut the sunglasses frame in 2 - this revealed a toothed brass insert stuck into the glasses with pressure, so a good pull should have been able to remove them (see pics). This also revealed why the case wouldnt pry open - there were 2 small bolts holding the case from the back !

Next was to open them up and look inside as i wanted to re-wire them for FPV box power source (12V) rather than have to always charge another battery for the goggles. so i opened the case up and saw the wiring inlet has 4 wires :

Black - power ground
Red - power 4.2 volts (single cell lipo)
Green - Video ground
White - video signal

So i removed the entire bottom circuit (with USB like connector and ear phones connector) - i wont be using them for sound anyway !

Then i took a long servo lead and wired them up as such:

servo wire white - video signal - glasses white
servo wire black - common ground - glasses black and green
servo wire red - voltage feed - glasses red

Now all there is left to do is to regulate my 12V FPV field box battery to around 4V through the servo connector and leaving the signal out to a proper RCA connector. to do this i used a Castle Creations UBEC set to 4.8V and after it a simple 3A diode (0.7V voltage drop) to give about 4.1V to the glasses constantly. and the signal wire goes to a RCA connector i soldered. its simple, effective and very portable !

Next step is to get these into a set of ski goggles next, like i did with my first conversion !
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2011, 09:18 AM
RC pilot by soul
Thread OP
Then i cut a hole in the shape of the video goggle module in the ski goggles and epoxied them in with some 5 minute epoxy mixed with micro baloons, and painted the outer side black, and walla ! the conversion is finished.

Im very happy with the conversion and also the quality of these goggles - for the price i never thought they would be this good !
Mar 13, 2011, 08:48 PM
What's the quality like on the Turnigy goggles? I procrastinated too long on the Dell HeadPlay deal, and I'm looking to pick up some goggles.
Mar 13, 2011, 10:34 PM
Just dog tired.
Don't the stock sunglasses already fit almost perfectly into ski goggles already? Just remove the arms from the glasses and slide them into the goggles. Isn't that what pretty much everyone else is already doing? Why go to all the trouble of disassembling them?

(Personally, I don't get why you would even bother doing that much. Just wear a ball cap.)
Mar 14, 2011, 09:15 AM
RC pilot by soul
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy1
What's the quality like on the Turnigy goggles? I procrastinated too long on the Dell HeadPlay deal, and I'm looking to pick up some goggles.
For the price - i was VERY pleasently suprised !
i think that if you are looking for a low dollar set of goggles you would be very pleasently suprised too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearyman
Don't the stock sunglasses already fit almost perfectly into ski goggles already? Just remove the arms from the glasses and slide them into the goggles. Isn't that what pretty much everyone else is already doing? Why go to all the trouble of disassembling them?

(Personally, I don't get why you would even bother doing that much. Just wear a ball cap.)
This installation with the 1 wire and no control box is much neater and lighter.
Mar 14, 2011, 10:09 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
i3dm that mod looks great, well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy1
The quality is great. Don't expect miracles for it's price, but it will totally beat the higher price competitors as far as price / performance goes.

The resolution is low, but it's good enough for FPV flight for sure.

The most annoying issue is that it won't stay on your nose without a custom made strap or building them into ski goggles. Many people would want to do so anyway though, so it's not much of a critique.

If you want a review, you can check out my profile blog post on it.
Last edited by PHMX; Mar 14, 2011 at 05:58 PM.
May 08, 2011, 05:26 PM
Now which way was home.....
Thanks! I guess the glasses DO have to go.
May 09, 2011, 07:46 AM
RC pilot by soul
Thread OP
BTW guys - its worth mentioning that i can clearly see the E-OSD data on the goggles screen. i reckon some people said they wont work well with OSD's - mine seems fine.
Jun 24, 2011, 07:14 PM
The mod looks great. I suspect I'll do this myself. I picked up a pair of the 428x240 goggles, and the text from my AP117 OSD is very clear on them.

Another reason you might want to put these in ski goggles like i3dm has shown is if you wear prescription glasses.

My only issue is that the distance between my pupils is about 8mm wider than the lenses on these goggles, so I'm going to try to space them further apart (not exactly sure how yet).
Jun 25, 2011, 07:41 AM
RC pilot by soul
Thread OP
tha main problem i found so far with my Turnigy goggles is that they are a little dark in the video, and there is no brightness control.

the brighness control in my other set (Fatshark) is REALLY helpful !
Jun 25, 2011, 07:57 AM
The display module is designed to separate from the glasses, as noted in the instruction book. Just pull and wriggle until the metal stem comes out of the brass insert in the glasses. That way you can wear the glasses when you go out (very cool - woo hoo!).
Sep 09, 2011, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldriess
The display module is designed to separate from the glasses, as noted in the instruction book. Just pull and wriggle until the metal stem comes out of the brass insert in the glasses. That way you can wear the glasses when you go out (very cool - woo hoo!).
Yes and they are polarized glasses. Very good by them self. Anyone got anyway to adjust interpupillary distance (IPD). I can only see clear on 1 eye coz the other one is not align.
Jan 13, 2012, 07:13 PM
I had the same problem
pupil to pupil is 64mm on the turnigies , i'm just under 60.
4mm doesn't sound alot but they just gave a rubbish view.

Anyway to change the IPD i did the following .

1) take apart , the glasses come off after a bit of a wiggle , no need to cut

2) take lenses out and sand the lug on the side of it to whatever side you need to move it to , then slot the 2 screw holes in the frame that holds them. you also have to sand a bit of this frame so it can slide across.

3) take the monitor bits out , cut off the 2 locating dowels and slot the screw holes.

4) put it all back together but leave the monitor lens screws loose , you need to move the monitors about until you get the two pictures to align.

The last step is pretty tricky , you need to try and focus on a distant object then quickly look in the glasses to see if the pictures square . if you get a picture of paused text or lines it makes it easier. Don't just adjust your eyes to suit offset pictures , you will get a headache real quick and it screws your eyesight up , not handy if you need to take the glasses off for a landing.
Sep 08, 2012, 03:45 PM
Don't believe that Hobby King sells these goggles anymore. However I stumbled on what I believe are the same goggles on aliexpress.com for $86 shipped.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...606102580.html

I have been extremely happy with my Turnigy FPV googles which I have mounted in a cheap ski mask. They rock.

When I compared them to the Fatshark Predators a flying buddy owned I was surprised how the extra resolution only made a very slight difference to me. For the money these are by far the best value.
Sep 08, 2012, 07:23 PM
Make that horizontal bar (the one with the wires coming out) red and you'll be Cyclope from Xmen.

Quick Reply